Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran into my first issue. Been riding around low desert Phoenix for awhile and ever had issues with overheating or remotely close to it. Loaded up the Wolverine last week to up near Grand Canyon (cooler temps) and arrived to my destination. Unloaded the Wolverine and I noticed the Coolant Temp Light came on the minute I started it up. I also noticed "Lo Cool" or something similar on the LCD screen. Mind you it was about 80 degree outside, nothing crazy. Coolant level was good in reservoir, exactly in the middle of full and minimum. Engine was still cool so I checked the radiator, coolant was full to the top and cap worked. I drove it the first trail head and watched the coolant temp rise FASTER than normal and I never heard the fan kick on. It was a short run and temps got up much higher than normal around 200 and it was an easy ride. You can smell excessive heating of coolant. After the hike I drove it back to the camp site with a stop in the middle this time to ensure it didn't get as hot as it did. The fan moved freely and easily, fan fuse was good, coolant level was normal and radiator was clean as a whistle since I washed it before the trip.

My schedule is limited for next few weeks and I had the YES warranty, so I opted to just drop it off at dealer. Couple things I began to ponder. 1. Why the "lo Cool" indication when levels were good and outside tempt was 80 and it popped up right at start up. 2. The cooling fan is defective like others have posted, but the bearings allowed it to move freely(still could be bad?). 3. The fan relay switch may have went bad. 4. The thermostat could be stuck open 5. Water pump? Wouldn't explain the the fan issue though.

Anyways, I plan to do a follow up post for those that are curious and assist with searched in the future for trouble shooting.

Not going to lie, I am second guessing myself now and I used to remember what temp the fan kicked on and I swore it wasn't as hot as 200. Plus the engine smelled as if the coolant or engine reached excessive heat and I never got that hot..even when it's 110 in the desert.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,092 Posts
I got your PM. Usually if it's too cold out a blue coolant light will come on and 'Lo' will be on the display which goes away around 120 F. Did it get really cold overnight and maybe the engine temps hadn't warmed up to ambient yet? I can't remember but I believe stock fan temp will activate at 205 F. Make sure the bleed screw on/near the thermostat isn't weeping\loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother. I'll be sure to do follow up. I may head back to dealership since they can't work on it for few days. Fire it up and check the thermostat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can’t say for sure. I routinely ride right near the Grand Canyon where you were. The altitude can be over 7000 feet. I see my temps get up to around 207 and the fan kicks in. The fan always brings it down to below 200. If you are riding slow expect to see 200 to 210. More airflow at faster speeds should bring the temp down quickly without the fan turning on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Stand down. I am losing my mind. LOL. MassiveOverkill gave back some input. I had the dealer do a quick test on for me since I already dropped it off. Effing thing runs normal. The Wolverine once again seems to be a great machine, just wish my memory worked as well. Dealer explained to me there was a safety mechanism that would let me know if it was overheating. I'm not used to fancy computers on ATV like this. Got it back home, rode it hard.....Fan kicked on at 207 and dropped it below 195. I got a little paranoid I guess since I normally ride into BFE Desert so I try and pay attention to small things before I get stranded. Why I smell what I did that day? Maybe I wasnt used to the cooler temps. I am used to the constant blow dryer in my face Phoenix and everything smells burnt LOL..I don't know.

Thanks to all those gave feedback to help verify. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stand down. I am losing my mind. LOL. MassiveOverkill gave back some input. I had the dealer do a quick test on for me since I already dropped it off. Effing thing runs normal. The Wolverine once again seems to be a great machine, just wish my memory worked as well. Dealer explained to me there was a safety mechanism that would let me know if it was overheating. I'm not used to fancy computers on ATV like this. Got it back home, rode it hard.....Fan kicked on at 207 and dropped it below 195. I got a little paranoid I guess since I normally ride into BFE Desert so I try and pay attention to small things before I get stranded. Why I smell what I did that day? Maybe I wasnt used to the cooler temps. I am used to the constant blow dryer in my face Phoenix and everything smells burnt LOL..I don't know.

Thanks to all those gave feedback to help verify. Much appreciated.
Great news. Come to Williams AZ. Great riding there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts