Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have searched high and low and need help with my 2016 Wolverine. I bought it used and it has been a nightmare. It's a great SxS when it runs, but has continuously let us down on the trails in Atlantic Canada. The 2 usual things have happened: 1) Radiator fan died and replaced 2) Exhaust pipe broke at the engine. Weld lasted 1.5 days of riding, then broke just before weld. Diff seal blew, e-brake cable adjuster broke...but that's what I get buying used from someone who didn't maintain it.

Does anyone know where I can purchase an engine stabilizer for my 2016 Wolverine 700? The pipe and parts (springs, nuts, gaskets) are $340 CND....I can't seem to find anything aftermarket. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Did not know that anyone made such. Mine does a little shake at idle but not that bad...at least for me. Have you checked the motor mounts to see that they are OK?

Reactions: MOEJACOB and Budro2

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please fill in your signature block with your Wolverine model to ensure you get good information, I'm assuming your have a 2016 Wolverine R Spec.

The cooling fan dying is pretty common with these units, I'd recommend you replace it with one from Hunterworks. Hunterworks is a forum sponsor and can be contacted through the forum, telephone, or email.

The header pipe cracking and replacement was covered by Yamaha for most folks, check with your local dealer and see if you qualify for a free replacement.

Nobody sells a anti-vibration brace for the Wolverine, only Vikings with the old 686 motor. You should check your motor mounts if you have excessive shaking, but these large single cylinder engines do shake some.

Reactions: MOEJACOB and Budro2

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hello all. I have searched high and low and need help with my 2016 Wolverine. I bought it used and it has been a nightmare. It's a great SxS when it runs, but has continuously let us down on the trails in Atlantic Canada. The 2 usual things have happened: 1) Radiator fan died and replaced 2) Exhaust pipe broke at the engine. Weld lasted 1.5 days of riding, then broke just before weld. Diff seal blew, e-brake cable adjuster broke...but that's what I get buying used from someone who didn't maintain it.

Does anyone know where I can purchase an engine stabilizer for my 2016 Wolverine 700? The pipe and parts (springs, nuts, gaskets) are $340 CND....I can't seem to find anything aftermarket. Thanks!
I see this is your 1st post so possibly your unaware but Yamaha put out a service bulletin for the cracked header pipe problem.
It has since just recently expired but one forum members dealer still honored the service bulletin and they replaced the header pipe and the entire muffler free even after it supposedly expired. Another member asked their dealer and were told there was no expiration date for it so it would be worth checking into.

When they fix them they also add 2 extra springs where the muffler joins with the header pipe. Apparently this prevents it from happening again!

I don’t believe there is any kind of an engine stabilizer, they are just big single cylinder thumpers that shake. Still it’s worth checking the motor mounts like Jimclemjr suggested. I’ve checked mine twice in 5000 miles and they have been fine.

The vibration probably assists in the cracking problem but the real reason behind it is that Yamaha has it running to lean from factory for emission reasons and the header pipe will often glow red and eventually gets brittle. Many of us added a fuel controller and blocked the AIS to fix that from happening but even a few that did have still ended up with a cracked pipe.

There is a lot of information posted in the Engine section as well as General discussion section on this forum regarding all I just touched on.

I would definitely look into Yamaha fixing it for you first!

Reactions: MOEJACOB and Paul65

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick reply! The motor mounts are good. I JUST received a call back from my local dealer (waited 5 days) ... he was able to see a service bulletin where Yamaha was covering the cracked exhaust for 30 months from time of registration. I am well outside of that, so it's a $340 day for me, and I'm installing it myself, they want $100 an hour labour. In the end, it's a known problem, now I have to find an engine stabilizer similar to the one they make for the Viking. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see this is your 1st post so possibly your unaware but Yamaha put out a service bulletin for the cracked header pipe problem.
It has since just recently expired but one forum members dealer still honored the service bulletin and they replaced the header pipe and the entire muffler free even after it supposedly expired. Another member asked their dealer and were told there was no expiration date for it so it would be worth checking into.

When they fix them they also add 2 extra springs where the muffler joins with the header pipe. Apparently this prevents it from happening again!

I don’t believe there is any kind of an engine stabilizer, they are just big single cylinder thumpers that shake. Still it’s worth checking the motor mounts like Jimclemjr suggested. I’ve checked mine twice in 5000 miles and they have been fine.

The vibration probably assists in the cracking problem but the real reason behind it is that Yamaha has it running to lean from factory for emission reasons and the header pipe will often glow red and eventually gets brittle. Many of us added a fuel controller and blocked the AIS to fix that from happening but even a few that did have still ended up with a cracked pipe.

There is a lot of information posted in the Engine section as well as General discussion section on this forum regarding all I just touched on.

I would definitely look into Yamaha fixing it for you first!
Thanks for the advice! I tried searching for an hour but must not have hit the correct word(s). :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum! Please fill in your signature block with your Wolverine model to ensure you get good information, I'm assuming your have a 2016 Wolverine R Spec.

The cooling fan dying is pretty common with these units, I'd recommend you replace it with one from Hunterworks. Hunterworks is a forum sponsor and can be contacted through the forum, telephone, or email.

The header pipe cracking and replacement was covered by Yamaha for most folks, check with your local dealer and see if you qualify for a free replacement.

Nobody sells a anti-vibration brace for the Wolverine, only Vikings with the old 686 motor. You should check your motor mounts if you have excessive shaking, but these large single cylinder engines do shake some.
Thanks very much! I updated the signature, appreciate your help in getting set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did not know that anyone made such. Mine does a little shake at idle but not that bad...at least for me. Have you checked the motor mounts to see that they are OK?
Thanks! The motor mounts are good, crazy how much this motor vibrates!:)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,113 Posts
I haven't visually looked as its hidden pretty good. Don't appear bad having been exposed to a very similar engine in the Kingquad 700 & 750 ATV's. One I still have and neither shakes me while in it idling. It would not hurt to have a dealer have a look at it even if they charged for some of the time to do so. It'll remove some guess work and they can point out anything that should be done.

If you haven't done so a new oil and filter change would be a good start. I use Rotella T6 5W40 which is wet clutch certified Synthetic oil. Rear diff fluid as well. I have found after I've done the changes 3 times now. Its NOT full after each change when its running out. It appears to settle and need to be topped up yet again taking another 200ml and then the diff quietens down. Initially it appeared ok, but gets noisier fairly quickly and that's when I discovered the fluid was low still. Double check more the once to be sure. I am using a GL5 gear oil 80W90 I believe but will look at using a synthetic later for this summer.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I can't say mine shakes very much but I had a 686 Rhino before the Wolv so maybe my point of reference is skewed. However the vibration my motor has is at idle rpm and then smooths quickly. But not like smooth of a twin or triple cylinder lol. You have not said how many miles the unit has. ?? There is a significant internal balancer in this motor, has the cases ever been spit so that someone got it off a little, which I do not actually know if that is even possible, just thinking out of the box.

Reactions: MOEJACOB

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! The motor mounts are good. I JUST received a call back from my local dealer (waited 5 days) ... he was able to see a service bulletin where Yamaha was covering the cracked exhaust for 30 months from time of registration. I am well outside of that, so it's a $340 day for me, and I'm installing it myself, they want $100 an hour labour. In the end, it's a known problem, now I have to find an engine stabilizer similar to the one they make for the Viking. Appreciate your help!
BTW - part of the fix for the exhaust pipe is a double set of springs at the middle pipe joint. Which I believe helps eliminate some movement so consequently the resulting metal fatigue in the pipe. I would also reco you check the pipe donut gasket for replacement, even tho you are going to hate to spend $30 for it lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW - part of the fix for the exhaust pipe is a double set of springs at the middle pipe joint. Which I believe helps eliminate some movement so consequently the resulting metal fatigue in the pipe. I would also reco you check the pipe donut gasket for replacement, even tho you are going to hate to spend $30 for it lol.
Thanks! I ordered everything, springs, bolts, gasket ... I would rather know that it is ALL new ... appreciate our advice. :) Now the 2 week wait for the parts ... welcome to Atlantic Canada. :(

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,113 Posts
Oh wow, and .... still waiting. Where they all coming from out of curiosity?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts