Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wolverine is amazing and so far no problems or complaints. Yamaha does by far the best job of deburring the casting and machining flash from the engine cases. The oil filter has hardly any aluminum flash in the first oil change. Its more like the second oil filter change on Polaris, Kawasaki, and Honda.

There is a slight belt drive wine but its not very noticeable with a helmet on. The suspension sets a new standard and its better then many sport models. The roof is standard, the power steering is great, and lots of storage.

Engine and belt drive performance is excellent with the stock tire size and belt life should be around 5,000 to 8,000 miles depending on how much dust enters the belt drive. When the engine is at 7,000 rpm and top speed reduces a bit its time for a grease change and to measure the belt width. I replace belts at 1mm wear and check for flat spots in the rollers. Todd is right about the grease only lubing the rollers at full gear up and I usually hit 6500 rpm frequently to improve roller life. That's about 48 to 49 mph in high and about 34 in low range.

Engine red line is 7,000 rpm at 52 to 53 mph and its smooth hitting the rev limit. I think the computer only cuts the injection every other time. The belt drive runs at 150 to 170 degrees and on long 5 mile hill climbs it stays under 180. Belt wear increases above 200 degrees and belt failure is at around 260 degrees where the glue melts. Yamaha did a great job with the Wolverine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good write up and glad your happy with it. New Honda 1000 in your future? The manufacturers should pay you to test drive their machines. How many atv/utv miles do you have?

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I'm just jealous that you have managed to put that many miles on already

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad to hear how well the Wolverine has performed for you! Thanks for the report and hopefully you get many more reliable miles out of it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still have 6 UTV's and one quad now but 3 are for sale. I ordered a Pioneer 1000 3 seat deluxe model from my dealer before they were announced, should get it in September or October. The Wolverine is just too good, everyone should have one and I just hate belt drive. I also ordered the Pioneer 1000 sport model, it should be announced next year and maybe a small sport model. I may not wait on the Honda sport models and get the 3 cylinder Yamaha but it may be too high end for my use. Rumored to have a game changing suspension with 22 inches of suspension travel with a real trans and paddle shifters. No inside info on anything but the P1000 engine should be in production for 20 years. The Wolverine would be great in a 50 inch low cost sport model. With a narrow frame Yamaha can use the Wolverine engine and suspension to keep cost down. It would be easy to lower the dash and seats about 12 inches and add 10 inches to the wheel base. The future is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Still have 6 UTV's and one quad now but 3 are for sale. I ordered a Pioneer 1000 3 seat deluxe model from my dealer before they were announced, should get it in September or October. The Wolverine is just too good, everyone should have one and I just hate belt drive. I also ordered the Pioneer 1000 sport model, it should be announced next year and maybe a small sport model. I may not wait on the Honda sport models and get the 3 cylinder Yamaha but it may be too high end for my use. Rumored to have a game changing suspension with 22 inches of suspension travel with a real trans and paddle shifters. No inside info on anything but the P1000 engine should be in production for 20 years. The Wolverine would be great in a 50 inch low cost sport model. With a narrow frame Yamaha can use the Wolverine engine and suspension to keep cost down. It would be easy to lower the dash and seats about 12 inches and add 10 inches to the wheel base. The future is going to be interesting.
wow that's a lot of utv's to have hondabob!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts