Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has looked at the newest 2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS, SE model to see if the OEM alum. skid plates are a direct match to mount on the other 2016 Wolverines?

I am specifically interested in seeing if the aluminum Front Differential Guard, item #11, p/n 2MB-F842M-00-00 that comes stock on the SE model is an exact replacement for the front plastic differential guard on other Wolverines. The alum. 2MB-F842M-00-00 Guard can be bought from Stadium Yamaha for $66.95 + shipping. Who knows what the delivery time might be with the way some parts are backordered for the Wolverines.

If anyone has a chance to see an SE Model, Wolverine or has one, it would be nice to know what the width of the front diff. skid plate is and the overall length and if it looks like the same mounting holes are used as on the plastic front diff. guard or what the mounting holes pattern measures. Does it cover the rectangular frame tubing and the open ends at the front of the same frame tubing?
Wolverine SE, Guards.jpg

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fro, are you saying that the SE Model's alum. front differential skid plate is a direct replacement for the plastic front differential guard on all the other Wolverines?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The only thing that throws me here is #17, the spring nut.

front skid.PNG

On the stock mounting, there is no spring nut. There is a welded nut on a thin metal tab coming off the frame for the front holes, and just a tapped hole in square tubing in the rear. This makes me think there is a possibility that this aluminum plate from the SE model will not work as a replacement for stock. It almost appears as though it is supposed to mount to the plate behind it, rather then the frame. A trivial note, there is not oil drain hole either, but a hole saw will fix that LOL! See the thread below for some pictures of the stock mounting.

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/9-wolverine-general-discussion/267-nailed-rock.html

I will see what else I can find here...

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Before I started this thread I pulled up both Yamaha parts diagrams for the SE and a regular Wolverine comparing these to guards (plastic and alum.) side by side. Since Yamaha's diagrams are not necessarily to scale it makes it somewhat difficult to tell, but it appears that the alum. one may be a little wider if the rear holes are the same distance apart. This would be a good thing since that means it probably extends to the outside edge of the 2 bottom frame rails and may cover the open ends of the frame tubing at the front (just an assumption). I also saw the steel spring nut in Yamaha's diagram and wondered exactly where it was attaching to since there are already mounting holes in the rear for the plastic guard, why the need for a different method of attaching? Just to many assumptions have to be made to say it will be a direct replacement for the plastic guard without making some modification for attaching, even though the bumper and frame are the same.

I may end up having to make/weld one out of steel, something similar to what you did FTM, since I'll be modifying the front lip anyway to fit nicely up and behind my EMP Front Winch Bumper's bash guard. What got my attention with the alum. one was the price of $66. If I count my time as being worth anything then plus material cost there's not any way I could make it for $66.

I think the only way to know for sure if this alum. one would be a direct replacement for the plastic one is to see one in person or a scaled dimensioned drawing.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Hey Papa.....be the guinea pig for all of us. Order one and let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was able to get some more information on the alum. front differential guard, supposedly it measures: H 5.50" x L 26.25" x W 15.0".

After comparing these measurements to the OEM plastic differential guard and again reviewing the pictures of the alum. skid plates on the SE Model and to the pictures of the alum. skid plate accessory package, it appears that the skid plate will go all the way back to the OEM main steel plate welded under the non SE Model Wolverines and extend out to the sides to cover the tabs where the A-Arms are bolted, this additional width compared to the plastic one will help to give more protection to the inner CVJ/axle boot.

At this point, it appears it should bolt right in place of the OEM plastic differential guard with the addition of (2) spring nuts to hold the rear of the alum. plate in place. I believe the front could easily be cut off a couple of inches to work well with the EMP Front Winch Bumper.

Roadymi, to answer your previous post, I'll be the guinea pig and order one and will report later how it works.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
papaskeeta. would like to see pics when you get it. i have been looking for a front skid that covers the a arm mounting cross bar from end to end.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I was able to get some more information on the alum. front differential guard, supposedly it measures: H 5.50" x L 26.25" x W 15.0".

After comparing these measurements to the OEM plastic differential guard and again reviewing the pictures of the alum. skid plates on the SE Model and to the pictures of the alum. skid plate accessory package, it appears that the skid plate will go all the way back to the OEM main steel plate welded under the non SE Model Wolverines and extend out to the sides to cover the tabs where the A-Arms are bolted, this additional width compared to the plastic one will help to give more protection to the inner CVJ/axle boot.

At this point, it appears it should bolt right in place of the OEM plastic differential guard with the addition of (2) spring nuts to hold the rear of the alum. plate in place. I believe the front could easily be cut off a couple of inches to work well with the EMP Front Winch Bumper.

Roadymi, to answer your previous post, I'll be the guinea pig and order one and will report later how it works.
Once you get it in, see what it would look like without cutting anything off. You can always just drill and tap two holes in the EMP bumper like I did with mine. That would give you a nice extra layer of protection IMO.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FTM, I thought I would see what it looked like and how well it would attach to the lower bash plate of the EMP Front Winch Bumper, may take some bending of the alum. skid plate to make it bolt to the EMP bumper.

VTpoolman, I'll take some pics. of it before mounting and during the process.

I should receive it around the end of next week.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Received the SE Model Wolverine Alum. Front Diff. Guard today and installed it. I'm happy to report it is a direct replacement for the plastic Front Diff. Guard. I think the specs. on it state it is 3/16" thick, first thing I noticed right out of the box was that it was not 3/16", wanting to know exactly what it's thickness was, I measured it with a digital caliper (0.125") so it's only 1/8" thick. If you do order 1 make sure to also order the (6) bolts and (2) U Nuts that are pictured in the OEM Guard parts schematic for the SE Wolverine; (4 bolts if mounting on EMP Bumper + (2) 1/4" bolts and nuts user supplied) . The U Nuts are the exact length / size to go in the small opening in the back corners where the plate attaches, using a U Bolt only 1/8" longer and you would never get it in the small opening where it has to fit (see pictures).

I have the EMP Front Winch Bumper and the alum. plate works nicely with it without any modifications other than drilling (2) 1/4" holes in the EMP's front bash plate. When drilling these holes in the EMP front bash plate make sure you drill the holes in the upper most part of the elongated hole in the alum. plate or else you won't get a nut on the back side due to the bottom mounting brackets inside the EMP bash plate. Even with drilling the 1/4" holes as far as I could in the upper part of the elongated alum. plate's front 2 holes I still could only get a lock washer and nut (with the flat side of the nut right next to the EMP bracket) and tightening the head of the 1/4" bolt while holding the nut with a wrench. The alum. guard definitely covers more than the plastic one does. It covers both of the bottom frame rails out to the outside edge of the lower A-arm mounting bracket and provides better protection to the inner CV/Axle Boots and covers the open ends of the channel used for the bottom frame rails. Alum Diff Guard Measurements 2.JPG Alum Diff Guard U Nut Attachment 3.JPG Alum Diff Guard Overall Bottom View 2.JPG Alum Diff Guard Mounted Side View.JPG Alum Diff Guard Mounted Quartering Side View.JPG Alum Diff Guard Mounted Front View Closeup.JPG Alum Diff Guard Mounted Front View 2.JPG

Reactions: VTpoolman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts