Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the local dealer about a shop manual. We got to talking, I told him about the unit that had a hole in the piston. He told me they had one come in with the motor fried. Told me Yamaha replaced it no problem. He told me it was a 2015. Same motor as 2016. I guess I will keep a close eye on the spark plug. I wonder how many have failed? GRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
718 Posts
A lot of people refer to them as 2015s, but they are all 16. It was introduced in April 15 as a 16 model

·
Registered
388 Posts
all mechanical things have the potential to fail is the way i look at it. i dont think engine failure will be common among these side by sides but it happening is a possibility.

·
Registered
395 Posts
all mechanical things have the potential to fail is the way i look at it. i dont think engine failure will be common among these side by sides but it happening is a possibility.
Yup. Remember everything man made on the planet is designed and made by humans with substances pulled from the nature. It's amazing that anything ever works :).

·
Registered
385 Posts
The one constant in this thread is most dealers don't know crap, there only interested in sales, and high dollar maintenance.

Reactions: TINKEN

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one constant in this thread is most dealers don't know crap, there only interested in sales, and high dollar maintenance.
True. Don't forget over priced accessories. That's why I will be buying a shop manual and adding a tect. oil and temp gauges to my ride. Also extra spark plugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Just enjoy the ride and not having to work on it. Found myself tinkering with everything when not needed.. maybe I should have bought a polaris just to have something to work on all the time. LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yep the Polaris. Just go to the Polaris forum, endless breakdowns. And that is why I didn't buy a RZR. I have owned Yamaha's since 1970. Very reliable.

On a side note I traded in my Polaris Sportsman 400 HO ATV. Two weeks later the new owner called me asking about the extended warranty. He had a axle go out.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Couldn't be closer to the truth. Who in their right mind expects us to buy oil shipped from Sweden for $22.00 a quart? Customers that come to my shop, get directions to Walmart where they can get 5 quarts of M1 for that price.

·
Registered
385 Posts
How could I have forgotten the 15 % additional overcharge I took on accessories. :cool:
Talk about overcharge how bout $11.70 for a quart of yamacool. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Called the local dealer about a shop manual. We got to talking, I told him about the unit that had a hole in the piston. He told me they had one come in with the motor fried. Told me Yamaha replaced it no problem. He told me it was a 2015. Same motor as 2016. I guess I will keep a close eye on the spark plug. I wonder how many have failed? GRRRRRRRRRRR
Mine is in the shop as we talk had a melted plug and two holes in the engine. Caused by the piston and rod.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is in the shop as we talk had a melted plug and two holes in the engine. Caused by the piston and rod.
We know about 2 Wolverines with fired motors. There may be 50 more we don't know about. I feel for you brother... I babied mine the first 200 miles as I am sure you were doing. Just got home from a 70 mile ride today, bet your back side I kept my ears open for any unusual noise. When I read your post on melted spark plug. My gut said loose or broken rod bolts. That or the wrong plug was used with longer threads. I just can't believe Yamaha doesn't step up and replace the motor. After all isn't this the reason we buy Yamaha!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just got back from WV. 200 brutal miles over the weekend. Machine didn't skip a beat. Hopefully the dealer gets your motors straightened out. I know the dealer where I go, would replace the engine no questions asked. Not all dealers are terrible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a survey from Yamaha today. While I will tell them. My experience has been great. We all know about your situation from the Yamaha forum.
I said things do go wrong with mechanical equipment. What is important is how you treat your customers when it does. This is the true measure of men/business is how they act when they are at fault.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cant agree more. I raced honda dirt bikes for years and whenever I had an issue with a bike they took care of me without any issue. That is were I am going insane here is that Yamaha and the dealer are not handling this situation good at all. All I want is my dang machine back so I can enjoy what is left of riding season before winter here in PA.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
We know about 2 Wolverines with fired motors. There may be 50 more we don't know about. I feel for you brother... I babied mine the first 200 miles as I am sure you were doing. Just got home from a 70 mile ride today, bet your back side I kept my ears open for any unusual noise. When I read your post on melted spark plug. My gut said loose or broken rod bolts. That or the wrong plug was used with longer threads. I just can't believe Yamaha doesn't step up and replace the motor. After all isn't this the reason we buy Yamaha!!!!
That is about the worst thing you could do. These engines need to be run for a proper break in. On the gas, off the gas, on the gas, off the gas. Do this until the engine is good and hot then shut her down. Wash rinse and repeat. You need to seat the rings, babying it is not going to do that. We had a thread about it here somewhere...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts