Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do I just need to change out all fluids or do I need to do the throttle valve synchronization?
I brought it to a dealer to get service done for just the first time and the synchronization was listed amongst several other things that I'm not sure if I need or not

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 X-TR
29 Posts
That is not part of the break in servicing. Should not have to touch that ever if it's running fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
You can sync the TBs yourself with some long clear plastic hose and ATF. Google carb sync process. It's not hard. Personally I doubt you need it if you haven't had any issues but for a couple dollars of material, its worth trying on your own before having the dealer charge you.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
551 Posts
You can sync the TBs yourself with some long clear plastic hose and ATF. Google carb sync process. It's not hard. Personally I doubt you need it if you haven't had any issues but for a couple dollars of material, its worth trying on your own before having the dealer charge you.
I'm waiting for this to be delivered next week. Watch the video. Seems simple enough.
While searching for the adjustment screws I noticed the one the service manual calls out to adjust, is pretty loose and may be prone to vibration. I'll probably put a dab of rtv over the screw after adjustment.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 X-TR
29 Posts
Should not have to ever touch it if running properly. On engines where the individual throttle plates open via steel throttle cable there is a degree of synchronization that has potential to be lost due to cable stretch. I would ask MassiveOverkill how often he adjusted his on his X4 850 with 15000 miles. My guess would be never. Certainly no harm in checking that Yamaha set them up correctly though. Them gauges you ordered will work perfect. There is two Vacuum ports for the evap system one on each throttle bodie to tap into. Happy wrenching & happy riding!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Should not have to ever touch it if running properly. On engines where the individual throttle plates open via steel throttle cable there is a degree of synchronization that has potential to be lost due to cable stretch. I would ask MassiveOverkill how often he adjusted his on his X4 850 with 15000 miles. My guess would be never. Certainly no harm in checking that Yamaha set them up correctly though. Them gauges you ordered will work perfect. There is two Vacuum ports for the evap system one on each throttle bodie to tap into. Happy wrenching & happy riding!
Agreed. On my banshee the dual carbs need to be checked but that's because the throttle cables came become out of sync fairly easy when rejetting, but when I did my X4 there was nothing needed. I may check the RMAX4 just for grins though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This all may be true. I'm new to dual throttle bodies and want to learn in order to stay ahead of the dealership ripoff artists. ~$40 is a cheap lesson in my book.
On another note, I am currently waiting on some valve pads from Yamaha and Hot Cams. Hot Cams doesn't list them for the RMAX yet, but in my measurements they stock the correct size in width and thickness. Once I confirm that Hot Cams stocks the correct size valve pads I will share my findings and folks here can save BIG BUCKS rather than buying them through Yamaha. All my exhaust valves were set to minimum clearance at factory. -Happy Wrencher ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I brought it to a dealer to get service done for just the first time and the synchronization was listed amongst several other things that I'm not sure if I need or not
Make sure your dealer documented all of the steps required BEFORE they did the Throttle body synchronization test:
Rectangle Parallel Font Electric blue Number

Ask your dealer what the Valve Clearance feeler gauge readings were for each of the 8 valves. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
This all may be true. I'm new to dual throttle bodies and want to learn in order to stay ahead of the dealership ripoff artists. ~$40 is a cheap lesson in my book.
Its always fun to learn something new and if it means getting to buy a new tool, then its that much better!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Valves are not checked until 3200 miles.
Ya, there is a conflict in the service manual. Throttle body sync states that you need to check the valves, yet regular service interval says 3200 miles.
What I get is that dealers are performing throttle body checks without doing the required steps before hand. OR Dealers are just charging their customers for a service they didn't do.

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
I don't think my dealer did anything except swipe my card for a stupid large amount and print a receipt at my first service.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior
1 - 15 of 15 Posts