Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spline on the rear axle is stripped, the crown gear ( ? ) is also stripped. Does anyone know if I can just weld those 2 together ?
I love my Bike, but cant afford a new axle & gear, So if possible I would like to fix it.
So far, the only reason I see that it cant be welded is because the axle may have to move side to side within an 1/8 of an inch.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wrong kind of wolverine for here, but hey, it is a Yamaha wolverine!!! I had the same thing with my '95 wolverine - I didn't have the $$$ to fix right away and managed the rest of the summer by using Green Loc-Tite. Pretty expensive Loc-tite but it did work. If you go this route, make sure you clean what is left of the splines REALLY well to get the best bond you can. This IS A VERY LAST RESORT AND NOT A LONG TIME FIX, but can get you out for a while. Don't weld it. In the end I only needed an axle. The splines in the crown gear where pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience with me . In my case, the both splines are pretty bad I was thinking of cutting a few keyways in it but that's expensive also so I'm still thinking a $15 weld job . I don't think there's enough spline for the green lock tight to work . Can I ask why you don't suggest welding it ,

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure why Yamaha reused the name. There are plenty of other animal names out there. Hell. Rhino 2 would have made more sense than naming a SXS after a quad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts