Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when is Yamaha going to offer the 1000 in a wolverine, having just barely enough power sucks. I own a slightly modified Rhino, adequate power, not exciting. From what I'm reading, most feel the wolvy has just that, adequate power, nothing exciting. A trail machine, which is what I'm most into, doesn't need a manual but power is never a bad thing. I don't see any sense in upgrading to the Wolverine if it hasn't got substantially better power than what I've got, other brands offer better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the wolverine has plenty of power for the trails. I had a commander 1000 and all I ended up doing was spinning wheels all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trails are no problem on the wolverine with upgraded suspension. My wolvy does not scream thru the trails like my yxz but it puts along about the same speed . Now on open roads and high speed trails the yxz will walk away. I think you will see a regeared yxz this year to fill the void. My tranny is on the way to tube works for a regearing as we speak. The wolvy is a nice improvement over the rhino.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
The yxz has no cvt, no low range and will never be able to effectively crawl through nasty rocky terrain like the wolverine. People will make engine kits for the Wolverine soon and it will be even better.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
The yxz has no cvt, no low range and will never be able to effectively crawl through nasty rocky terrain like the wolverine. People will make engine kits for the Wolverine soon and it will be even better.
Tubeworks is already doing gear reductions for the YXZ. 70% first and 30% 2-5th. Can also just do a 40% first or a 30% 1-5. 70% will make 31" tires spin about 10mph at 10,500 rpm. Already have a few KOH builds going for them.

But stock.. the Wolverine is 100% a better crawler.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
It would be cool to see a 1000 in the wolverine, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Yamaha tends to go more for reliability over power. With high horsepower you tend to break more things in the drivetrain and I don't think Yamaha wants to play in that area.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well here is my take on both, first the wolverine is the best rough trail machine you can have we rode some extremely rough hill climbs, with huge rocks in muddy and snowy conditions this weekend and you couldn't ask it to do any more. Would it be nice to have more power YES, but what it has will do the job without fail and the ride is great. On the YXZ it has power beyond need, ride is the best you can get, he climbed every hill I did no problem BUT in a one mile stretch you shift at least 50 times in the curves and mud holes. I would not trade my wolverine even for a YXZ... But I sure would give anything for half doors. :cool:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
when I go for a ride I go with the intension of enjoying the ride not to see how fast I can get there and the wolverine does this just fine and I feel this is what it was designed for.i average between 7-8 mph and would be interesting to see what the average is on this forum.

·
Registered
395 Posts
YXZ for the dunes, Wolverine for the trails. A 1000 has no business in the wolverine. It would not make the machine better. Faster, yes, but the rest of the vehicle would probably need changed, suspension, move away from a belt, lower center of gravity.

You could put an LS7 in a golf cart. Wouldn't make it any better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree the Wolverine has more than adequate power for trail riding ! The only place you ever even reach the peak of power is on dirt roads and 54 is plenty fast there ! People on 4wheelers have trouble keeping up because control on the gravel (floating all over the road) . I will take reliability over who's got the biggest motor to brag about !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay guys, I was on the 1000 wolverine bandwagon for a while but after reading some compelling arguments from actual wolverine owners I now am in full agreement with keeping the 700. My next question for those who can shed any light is. . . When do you think they will release the 2017 wolverine which should have the first year model issues improved or resolved?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
well went for a ride yesterday. the average speed was 8mph. don't think i would ever want a yxz for what i ride. i rode with a commander 1000. and he uses the low power key. he says the power is smoother, not as jerky. and much prefers the lower power key.
one thing i will say is the wolvy sure is a wide one. but man does it ride nice and is very stable. plenty of power to get you into trouble. blowing 4x4 donuts is no problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well went for a ride yesterday. the average speed was 8mph. don't think i would ever want a yxz for what i ride. i rode with a commander 1000. and he uses the low power key. he says the power is smoother, not as jerky. and much prefers the lower power key.
one thing i will say is the wolvy sure is a wide one. but man does it ride nice and is very stable. plenty of power to get you into trouble. blowing 4x4 donuts is no problem.
Thats funny he uses low power key. All the videos of my maverick, all you hear is. Waaaaa... Waaaaaa... Waaaaaa... It seemed to be all or nothing on that throttle.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Okay guys, I was on the 1000 wolverine bandwagon for a while but after reading some compelling arguments from actual wolverine owners I now am in full agreement with keeping the 700. My next question for those who can shed any light is. . . When do you think they will release the 2017 wolverine which should have the first year model issues improved or resolved?
I too, would like to know when the 2017s will be released and the upgrades, if any, made to it. Maybe a different fuel mapping to not be quite as lean or larger doors. As quiet as Yamaha keeps things until actual release, who knows when we'll hear something. I believe the 2016 was released around April, wish they'd release the 2017s early also, but don't really expect them to.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't see the fuel mapping change all that much because of the environmental regs. As for doors, those are the same doors that have been on everything, so they probably won't change either. Any changes to the 2017 will probably be very minor seeing as it will only be the second production year model.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I bought my Wolverine to enjoy the ride and enjoy the scenery while doing so.........not to see how fast I can get from point A to point B. The 708 single is fine for me. I would not want to give up the drive train durability and fuel economy to have a big motor.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Me and my old fart buddy run between 15 and 25 on most trails and when the trail permits as fast as we can go till the next curve or mud hole. I'm afraid I'm still an adrenaline junkie at 69 years , hope I don't have to pay for it one day LOL. :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts