Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

UPDATE

Winch mount and winch arrived today!

I also grabbed a few goodies like a snatch block and a quick release fire extinguisher mount as they are soon making it mandatory to have a fire extinguisher when riding in the bush up here!

15 hours on x4 now, waiting on the 20hr mark for service even though a guy at dealership told me first was at 10!!!

Also the yam sales guy told me to only ever run x4 on 87 octane which I thought was strange and I confirmed he was wrong tonight when I opened the hood and it says 91 on the air intake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Also need to get some black paint and start going around a few parts. The bolts and some other parts starting to rust are upsetting my OCD! I don’t mind scratches and dents but somehow rust bugs me!!!

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,283 Posts

UPDATE

Winch mount and winch arrived today!

I also grabbed a few goodies like a snatch block and a quick release fire extinguisher mount as they are soon making it mandatory to have a fire extinguisher when riding in the bush up here!

15 hours on x4 now, waiting on the 20hr mark for service even though a guy at dealership told me first was at 10!!!

Also the yam sales guy told me to only ever run x4 on 87 octane which I thought was strange and I confirmed he was wrong tonight when I opened the hood and it says 91 on the air intake!

Actually made me go out and check and you're right, it does say 91:

But that's using RON:

What Octane Ratings Mean | The Streetside Garage

Pump values (In the US) use: (R + M) / 2

I think the difference between R and M is around 3-5 so for example:

(91-R + 87-M) / 2 = 89 Pump
(89-R + 85-M) / 2 = 87 Pump
(87-R + 83-M) / 2 = 85 Pump

The manual calls for:

"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to
use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump
octane number ([R+M]/2) of 86 or higher, or
research octane number of 91 or higher. If
knocking or pinging occurs, use a different
brand of gasoline or premium unleaded gasoline. Unleaded fuel will give you longer spark
plug life and reduced maintenance cost."

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ah so he was correct in saying 87!!! It’s sounded strange to me and after them being incorrect about a few other things I just jumped to conclusion when I saw 91!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Really?? You think it will handle ok without them? I’m thinking the sudden signs of surface rust on things was from the road spray while towing it to the trails.. there was a lot of salt on the wet roads and it wasn’t washed immediately!! I’ll have to remember that!

·
Engineer
1,799 Posts
Sway bars will keep you flat when drifting a corner, but they will make the ride miserable on the bumpy stuff. They put those on our Rhinos and we promptly removed them. I even designed new bushings for the Yamahas that do not bind and yield a smoother ride. I broke my back 18 years ago, so ride comfort is a priority for me.

I'd unbolt the bottom and zip tie the bar up to try it out. I think you find better independent suspension without the bind.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,283 Posts
A good compromise would be unbolting the front sway bar and leaving the rear on (on the X4)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Definitely going to try this.. it got very bumpy for the passengers in the rear when we weren’t even feeling a bump in the front so maybe worth unbolting when passengers are in and just don’t drift as hard!!

·
Engineer
1,799 Posts
Unbolting sway bar on the Wolverine

For just rock crawling and slow trail rides, just put everything to the soft settings. I wouldn't touch the preload though since you want the clearance. Maybe even unhook or remove the sway bar. Someone said it gives another 4 inchs of articulation in the back. That'll even soften up the ride more just be careful taking fast turns.
Deeyoh is right, when jacking up a rear tire I went from 12.5 inches to 16.5 before picking up any of the other tires by unhooking the sway bar, I haven't made any other adjustments. I love the flex, but I don't do a lot of high speed trails either. When I first disconnected it I noticed it leaned and pushed more cornering.........don't notice it now though.
Since I took those measurements I have added a 2" Gorilla lift and can still put it on my retaining wall without tipping. If I get out and pull on the bar I can bounce the uphill tires in the air but I cant tip it over. View attachment 13553 View attachment 13561 View attachment 13569 View attachment 13577

When I am setting in it the Lev-O-gage is closer to 35 Degrees.

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/13-suspension/2250-shock-adjustment-3.html#post58193

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Find the missing part of this story.. I get out of truck, pay for gas, remove cap from x4, start filling x4, moved the nozzle into a can after filling the x4, returned the pump, put cap on can, put can in x4, jumped in truck and drove off.... next cap will have a security strap.. no cap for family day! Had to use a rag for saturdays ride..and now need to drain my tank as well incase any water got in..

IMG_0897.JPG

Apart from that we had a great days riding increasing out confidence in what the x4 can do!

Finally my the bolt in the rear seat holding the back to the seat frame came loose on the ride and the rear right seat belt keeps jamming as well as the front left one.. have to hit them pretty hard to get them to retract!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Was out on Saturday for a bit in the snow.. getting soaked!! The snow melts on the roof and then just pours off the side and into the cab!! Full flow all day!! Look at the passenger seat and the dash!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Smittybuilt trail bag fits perfectly! Also fits behind the seats and comes with a waterproof cover!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts