Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Trail preferences

3K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  Boorabee Parker 
#1 · (Edited)
What's your trail preference? For me personally, I enjoy all trails from easy ones such as the Down East Sunrise Trail to serious goat trail climbs like Schoodic Mountain. I was just told not to run a trail because someone considers it "too rough". Here in Maine, the riders who truly enjoy a good 50/50 mix seem to be in the minority. Either every trail must be a goat trail or a railbed/logging road depending what camp they reside in. It's actually quite comical to read the ongoing debate on certain Maine based FB pages.

See less See more
#3 ·
I prefer tight technical stuff but a nice, smooth, fast trail can be fun to. Our group has a problem with pushing a little hard on fast trails and sooner or later shit goes south. The fast trails are nice in crap weather.

#6 ·
I'm with you and prefer a mix. I really don't like the rail beds as they are typically extremely dusty but what can you do. Most of our riding from camp offers a good mix. Some rocky not to technical, some tight areas and of course up in the Wind Farm is wide open riding.

#7 ·
I like tight technical stuff, elevation changes. Of course if the scenery is good I don't care what the terrain is.

#9 ·
I prefer a good mix as well. Unfortunately most of the riding out by me that I can run the wolvy on are well groomed mountain roads, or as I like to call them, FREEWAYS. For me it's a constant rally race. LOL. When I'm wanting technical though we have lots if 50" trails out here though and thats where the quad comes into play.

Reactions: kukini
#10 ·
My wolverine is only used for hunting, so fastest route to hunting area suits me best. I do like a bit if technical challenge on the way though, and a little adrenaline rush never hurts either.

Reactions: kukini
#12 ·
I enjoy it all except deep mud. I like the easy trails if the view is good or the destination is something cool to see. I like the technical, butt pucker stuff from time to time. I mainly enjoy running hard on moderate trails. That is why I love coming to the Black hills. The trails range from gravel roads with a great view to small boulder fields that test the limits of the machine. You can ride for days and not hit the same trails. The trails themselves can contain all of the listed things in a few miles stretch and sometimes you never know what you are going to get into. I did manage to fine a mud/ water hole today that was waist deep. Totally unexpected as most are knee deep at best.

#13 · (Edited)
I like trails that I've never been on, none have names - USFS and/or BLM public land; around every corner is a new adventure... and trails that I have to myself. Partial to Montana and Nevada so far. And a nice fishing hole along the way is always a bonus.

#15 ·
Any trail is a good trail if I'm on it,but if I had to choose a favorite I'm going with "technical crawling"
Here in SWPA you get a really good variety and depending on where you're at you tend to crisscross into WV and Western MD a good bit.

Reactions: Paul65 and kukini
#16 · (Edited)
I'll probably sound like a repeat of the above... tight technical in the trees on soft trails or rock, the Wolvy really shines with its power delivery and steering. It also, at 59" wide, can make several trail turns where my fellow riders have to back up. In elevation changes it really shines with the engine braking in 4-wheel drive. Several people have commented they never see my brake lights on really steep downhill grades where they ride theirs all the way down.

I like creek crossings and just going down the middle of creeks for extended periods of time. I don't mind mud, but not deep mud. Mud in the trails because it filled up with water and you go through 6-10" of mud, no problem. Part of it. My local trails have been 4-wheeler or quad trails for 30 years and are just now being converted (or ridden by old guys that switched) to side by sides. As you can imagine they are mostly too tight for side by sides and haven't been cut out yet, so = extreme technical. Hard to fit through the trees with a side by side ROPS cage that is vertical, the RzR's don't have this problem. The grades are steep, lots of elevation changes, creek crossings, and a few bounty holes for the quads with 30" tires. My Wolverine is a challenge to ride on these trails, which makes it interesting. There are other side by sides now, so I mostly follow my buddy on his Teryx. If he can fit, I can fit!!!

Edit: added pics, because without pics... it didn't happen.

#17 ·
I guess that I'm with the "mixed" trail group. I like a variety, from easy cruising to low range, 4wd-required technical. I'd rather avoid mud holes and deep water. My favorite trails are those where speeds are terrain-limited to low 40s at the top end and crawling on the bottom. Great views are a must, too, but there's no shortage of that in the Sierra Nevada mtns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.