Not Talked About Maintenance
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Not Talked About Maintenance within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; We all know the big maintenance tickets Such as oil changes, filter Cleaning, greasing and say valves. What about the Small things you have done ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By TRev
  • 2 Post By PapaSkeeta
  • 2 Post By FordTruckMan
  • 1 Post By jimclemjr
  • 2 Post By FordTruckMan
  • 1 Post By k7iou1

Thread: Not Talked About Maintenance

Turbo
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times

We all know the big maintenance tickets Such as oil changes, filter Cleaning, greasing and say valves.
    What about the Small things you have done that really help or you think most might over look.

I for one noticed a huge difference in pedal feel when I started to lube the accelerator pedal cable and break pedal assembly

Anyone else discover Lil maintenance items that help the Wolverine?
    MrDwig likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1549 times
    Great thread idea TRev. My Wolverine has nowhere near the mileage/use of many on here, but on my Grizzly's I've only had to do a few minimal extras. Most have been just re-tightening things like exhaust connections/shields, replacing those cheesy plastic bullet pin/screws, and lubing cables. Hopefully many more chime in with specifics, but a few that come to mind are checking the seat belt bracket bolts and re-securing vent lines.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    618 times
    It seems very few owners check their Toe-in. For the new 4 wheelers I've had and now the Wolverine, I've never had a new one where the toe-in was set any where near what the specs. call for it to be. The toe-in for the Wolverine is 0.20" - 0.59" of Toe-in; mine from the factory was at 1.375" of Toe-in and it was not really very obvious just looking at it.

I double checked my measurements when I first checked it because I thought it was hard to believe it was that far out of factory specs. and not be obvious looking at it or feel it in the way it drove. I checked it with only 16 easy miles on it.

Ended up setting mine to 0.125" of Toe-in, only because I like it to be as close to 0" as possible but definitely not any Toe-out.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 07-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
    MORSNO and k7iou1 like this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    I'll second the cable lubing. I always try to keep on top of that from my experiences with manual shift sport bikes and clutch cables getting hung up lol. I also adjusted the free play in the throttle cable, because from the factory it felt like I was pushing my foot to china before the throttle even engaged. Now I can just ease into the throttle nice and smooth right from the top. I have not adjusted my toe, but I can tell just by looking at it that it's way more than factory spec. I like the way it handles though so I haven't changed it. The wheel returns to center quite nicely and it holds such a great straight line at speed.

I also added an inline filter and an extension tube on the rear differential vent and the gas tank vent, routing both tubes up to the throttle body area. I did this after checking my rear diff fluid and finding it milky and brown, even though the hose was still tied up to the frame in the factory location. I added self tapping sheetmetal screws to the plastic guards inside the front wheel wells that mount on the fire wall. They were vibrating at road speed because they didn't have enough connection points. The screws fixed that. I think that's all I can think of for now in this category lol. Great thread idea BTW.
    MORSNO and Scurvy like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    How did you lube the accelerator pedal and break pedal exactly? I know this is an older thread but I just came across it and was curious to any maintenance I can do on my 2017 r-spec. Thanks very much!
    2017 white wolverine RSpec eps
    3.5" highlifter lift
    1" wheel spacers all 4 corners
    30" terminators/ 14" m20 wheels
    Epi extreme clutch kit
    Boss audio 1000w 4 speakers
    Roof light bar
    Rear light bar
    4 light pods at all 4 corners
    3500lb quadboss winch
    1/2 windshield
    Front and rear push bumpers
    mudbuster fender flares
    Front and rear aluminum skid plates

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Speaking of tow, my Rhino’s rear tires are high out / low in. I guess there are some bushings that are worn out. I’m really bad about preventive maintainence. It’s in the shop now need to have it looked at.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    501 times
    when new as possible, remove muffler spark arrestor bolts, apply anti-seize and reinstall with proper torque. If they get loose, excuse me, WHEN they get loose the exhaust will wear out the gasket and it is almost $20. If you can get the bolts out without stripping them.
    k7iou1 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    How did you lube the accelerator pedal and break pedal exactly? I know this is an older thread but I just came across it and was curious to any maintenance I can do on my 2017 r-spec. Thanks very much!
    If you are referring to my post about the cables being lubed, I use Lubriplate cable lubricant. It's an aerosol spray lube. Usually I will soak the strands of the the cable with it and work it in and out of the cable sheath. If there is enough room to get the straw from the can in there, I try to shoot the spray down inside the cable sheath. Doing this prevents the cable from rusting or corroding over time in my experience. I do the same thing on the throttle cables on lawn mowers, tractors, etc. It also doesn't hurt to spray any pivot points with the lube. Some say that dust will collect on the lube, but I have never had it cause more trouble than not lubricating in the first place.
    DaveD and Doc T like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    It seems very few owners check their Toe-in. For the new 4 wheelers I've had and now the Wolverine, I've never had a new one where the toe-in was set any where near what the specs. call for it to be. The toe-in for the Wolverine is 0.20" - 0.59" of Toe-in; mine from the factory was at 1.375" of Toe-in and it was not really very obvious just looking at it.

I double checked my measurements when I first checked it because I thought it was hard to believe it was that far out of factory specs. and not be obvious looking at it or feel it in the way it drove. I checked it with only 16 easy miles on it.

Ended up setting mine to 0.125" of Toe-in, only because I like it to be as close to 0" as possible but definitely not any Toe-out.
    I would add, when you adjust your toe-in have a full tank of gas and add weight in the vehicle to approximate weight of gear and passengers. If you adjust on a empty vehicle and then add yourself, a passenger and gear it just changed.
    jimclemjr likes this.
    2018 R-spec EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    After loosing most of the bolts holding the seat backs in place in the first 50 miles, I suggest removing the seats early on and putting loctite on the seatback bolts!

Sponsored Links