Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

dust stop / rear window

13K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Bigfootx2 
#1 ·
I bought the Yamaha soft rear window that adapts to the accessary mount. Has anyone gotten one of the EMP hard Ones? Any opinions? Can you tow with it in? Not real thrilled with the visibility with mine

#3 ·
I have the EMP one...obviously, lol It is OK. Visibility is fine except for glare and reflection, still better than the Yamaha one. I'm not overly impressed by any means, but it doesn't completely suck. I definitely would explore all my options before paying money for it lol. Then again, I think their front windshield sucks too, so maybe I am just jaded...

#4 ·
I just made one out of 3/16" Lexan and some conduit hangers. I only went up half way and mounted the top of it to the crossbar. When it is warm and dry I only use a half windshield, so the low rear height lets the air flow through, and still keeps most of the dust out, but not all of it. When I trail ride I don't expect to get back to camp clean anyway. :cool: Not real high tech, but it does what I want.

Reactions: atkbike
#5 ·
I have the EMP one and I like it. I mainly bought mine to keep the wind through the cab down when the weather was cold, and it worked for that. Over the winter, I rode over to watch some races when it was below 20 degrees out, and the only time I got cold going down the road at 40-50mph was when I got a nasty cross wind on a long straight stretch. I only towed mine twice with it on and didn't have any issues, but I also had the front windshield up. I took it off last week because the weather is getting nice. and it took me all of 30 seconds or so to get it off there.

#10 ·
I bought mine when I bought the machine and the dealer warned me then about hauling it with it on. I do haul it with the wind deflector on. After buying the deflector and trying both, the back window had to go. The deflector was forcing too much air up, more than the back could pass so then the wind was hitting us from the back.

#11 ·
I bought mine when I bought the machine and the dealer warned me then about hauling it with it on. I do haul it with the wind deflector on. After buying the deflector and trying both, the back window had to go. The deflector was forcing too much air up, more than the back could pass so then the wind was hitting us from the back.
Interesting. When I installed our Yamaha soft back window, the instructions warned against hauling it with the window on. Frankly, it was a pain to be constantly taking it off/putting it back on. When I complained to my dealer she said that they had sold several of these and, to their knowledge, no one removed them during transport. So I leave it on now. Haven't seen any stress tears or anything like that so far 1, 000 km in. (OP, I am now thinking you meant hauling with the emp hard one installed. I have no experience traveling with a hard one on. If so, disregard this. :) )
Visibility was never an issue however it's a mute point now with the gun carrier I installed. It blocks the window. Side mirror seems to take care of that though.

#12 · (Edited)
This thread mentions blocking dust inflow into the cab. It is my opinion is that a full or partial "window" does not really help much. It creates a strong low pressure pocket behind that windshield from the air flow coming over the top of the roof. This dirty air pocket then swirls in from the sides and through the gap between the bed front wall and the cab. So, it can actually aggravate the dust in the cab, especially if you have a windshield.

The route I took was to create a porous windscreen behind the cab. In principle it is like a giant version of the rear windscreen that you find on many convertibles in the automotive world. The materials that I used were canvas and super heavy duty window screen fabric (rubber coated fiberglass mesh). Home Depot sells this as "dog proof" window screening. Clean air is entrained at the rear of the roof and is sucked down into a low pressure area over the bed. It then bleeds through the screening and spoils the low pressure pocket behind the bed. The rear is tied down to the tail gate with 3 ball bungee cords that pass through grommets in the windscreen and then through loops attached to the tail gate. This makes it quite easy to access the stuff in the bed when you need to. You still can see out the back due to it being a window screen. It blocks less than 50% of the light in spite of being such a heavy duty material.

Food for thought for any one that is really irritated with the dust devil behind you....

Rear view:

Bikini top, Rear Diagonal view, also shows tan fabric dust barrier between bed front wall and cab:

Bikini top, side up view:

Bikini top, air scoop & gutter, also shows snap fastener attachment of windscreen to upper crossbar (bent electrical conduit):

Side view, air flow diagram:

#17 ·
I have the EMP rear pane, no front windshield . I had no problem towing it at 70 mph from NC to Utah and back. In the dusty Utah area you can see how it stops dust from coming in on the driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.