Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

ER-1 code even after new ECU....

9K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  jimclemjr 
#1 ·
Hi folks, new to forum but not to working on atvs/UTvs . I’m a former Yamaha dealer from 97-2002.
Just picked up a 2016 RSpec from friend who ran it low on oil/coolant.
Just finished rebuild and now have ER-1 code on dash. Replaced ECU with used working version and new battery , still have no power or spark.....
Old battery was showing 16 volts so I figured it shorted out ECU
900 miles, anyone have idea on where to start ?
Fuses good, ground solid
Need some pointers !!!

#6 ·
No lights ? Never heard of a 12 volt battery with 16 volts? Is the voltage regulator in the ECU? On the older Rhino's when my AC generator burned up(2x) because of heat, you could disconnect the rectifier and run on the battery. No idea . Good luck!

#8 ·
I suspect you may have already done part of this, but for the sake of troubleshooting I'll suggest it anyway.

If everything else except for the fuel pump seems to have power (dash, headlights, etc.) then I would first check fuel pump fuse, and then check all connections going in to and coming out of the fuel pump relay for 12v and a good ground, if that all checks out good then you know the problem is between the relay and fuel pump or between fuel pump and ground. Connect 12v directly to the fuel pump to verify the fuel pump will cycle on, can do with jumper wiring with key off.

Reactions: blast and TN_Max
#12 ·
more info from past owner. While riding it as it overheated and temp light came on the speedo display went blank and and never came back on, check engine light stayed on. Once it cooled down and tried to restart is when he noticed the er-1 code on dash.

Could it be coincidental the meter fried and it overheated at same time? I know a bad meter will throw that code as well. Could the speed sensor got so hot it fried as well?

I see a new meter is only about $250

#13 ·
The manual says that with ER1 the ECU and head unit are not talking. And you said in first post that you replaced the ECU with a known working one. So...
Btw you may want to check temp sensor in a pan of water before you throw serious money at it. Makes sure it is not grounded out or something.
Page 9-61 says after you verify the couplers and pins between the ECU and meter, to check your wiring harness before you replace the head unit and then the ECU is last. So testing continuity of all the color coded wires would be advisable.

#18 ·
Fast forward to Feb 9, 2021
still no spark, has been at dealer since last post and found out it’s still under Yamaha extended warranty.e
dealer was told to try new gauge that didnt work, then try new ECU, that didn’t work, then test a few readings between wires in harness.......still no spark......now Yamaha wants a full harness replacement
However, we have been waiting on harness since 12/15 and was told yesterday it won’t be in until “maybe” 4/20!
this thing has been down since June 2020

anyone else done a full harness replacement? I found three on eBay for about $250

any other bright ideas?

#19 · (Edited)
I buzzed back thru this thread and thanks to kdt1970 and the posted sheet.... item 2 is to check the connectors. If memory serves I had a problem on my 08 Rhino where the fan would not turn on and it took a lot to finally find that a pin on the bottom of the fan relay had a broken wire but the plastic wire sheath was still in place as I got to messing with it it fell off. The ECU has a whole bunch of pins in the connectors and if they have changed the ECU and it was me i would be probing and checking the pins and receptors microscopically ( not really but you know what I mean). Next I would ohm each wire with a long leader to itself and to a ground to see if it shorted. Especially any wires close to exhaust oor any other potential hot spots.
If you get a used harness you may loose the warranty rights. And you stand a chance to get warranty extended due to pandemic and Yamaha and dealer good graces if you ask.
Never have done a harness replace, I would first make a fire damage claim on my insurance lol.

Reactions: kdt1970
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.