Bigger and (hopefully) better things
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Bigger and (hopefully) better things within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Well, I went and did it. It was a year earlier than planned but with everything going on right now it seemed like the right ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Bigger and (hopefully) better things

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1159 times

Well, I went and did it. It was a year earlier than planned but with everything going on right now it seemed like the right time to get a good deal. The Wolverine is gone as of 5/22, three days shy of three years. I got $599 less then what I paid for it new in 2017. I would have done a few hundred better but the dealer found a bad wheel bearing and tie rod end. I'm still real happy with what turns out to be about $200 a year for my cost ownership. I lost my accessory investment, but thats to be expected. It would need tires and battery plus the wheel bearing and tie rod end this year. It also had 2 A arms that needed repaired due the bolts on the hub come lose after a trail repair and egging out the holes.

In it's place is a brand new 2020 KRX. I was able to get them to 17,866 OTD.

All I can say is it's a beast. It was muddier than I've seen in years so I didn't get the back to back comparison I was hoping for. It made everything I pointed it at look easy. The mud was making the other Wolverine on 28's and Teryx on 30's hit stuff we usually go right up 4 or 5 times or not make at all and even struggle on the bypasses with the diff locked in a few places.

Some random thoughts on the two. I was really concerned about the size but it's a non issue. The width is barely noticeable and the length is just a matter of waiting a foot longer to turn in. Turning radius is bigger, but not as much as I thought it would be looking at specs. I never had to back up to make a corner. The Wolverine is much nimbler feeling and quicker in really tight trails.The KRX is only about 5-10 mph faster at the top end but gets there way faster and hits the limiter at 67 ever time. It seems to like to rev and 50-67 happens pretty quickly. My gen 1 would go 62-63 with a new belt in perfect conditions, 57-58 most days and about 55ish on a bad day. I think my wolverine with the Eibachs rode nicer on small bumps up to around 10mph, after that its the KRX. Bed size is on par with my gen 1, but it's awkwardly shaped and strapping in a cooler puts it dead center wasting a lot of space. Storage is a draw. The KRX has more room, but the gen 1's have that giant waterproof center console. Cab is way roomier and doors are way better. Wolverine has a much better gear shifter. Fuel gauge is about worthless on both. Yamaha has the better fuel filler neck. KRX takes it for instruments and has a factory oil pressure light. Sight glass for oil on KRX is great. Cab heat is good, about the same or slightly better then my gen 1. Noise is about he same. The Yamaha has better front visibility, but not by a lot. The Gen 1 is a way cleaner ride. KRX is geared way lower, closer to a X2 then the gen 1. I'm not sure how I feel about the gearing, It causes me to run high when low would be better for it. It may just take some getting used to.

I plan on sticking on this site. I still have a trailer build to finish, still have a gen 1 in the family and can hopefully help out some gen 1 guys. Plus it's a great group of people. I have no problems pointing out flaws with the new unit as I find them. I'll have some spare parts to sell after my nephew decides what he wants.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1159 times
    I few more things I thought of.

Washing, I would rather wash the Wolverine 3 times then this thing once. It seems no matter where you spray off it completely covers the rest of the machine. I thought I had it pretty clean and found a ton of mud looking at it today.

The Wolvey definitely wins the insurance cost, 149 vs 389 a year. Absurd that a machine that is a less than double the MSRP and a little more then double hp is near triple to insure.

The KRX radiator is way better thought out. It still looked new after 150 miles. We had to find places to wash out the Wolverine radiator twice due to overheating.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 05-26-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    Paul65 and erik like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Congratulations! I am looking forward to hearing more about the KRX, please continue to keep us updated.
    Jraoffroad and blast like this.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1098 times
    Good luck with your new ride. They look big and Bad-A$$! Let us know how you like it after a year or so.
    Last edited by Wolvie Hunter; 07-31-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    Jraoffroad likes this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS, Folding Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn-3000
    Sedona-Storm 14", Rip-Saw Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    EMP-Front/Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV-2" Lift Kit
    19" LED Bar

2019 R-Spec X2, Folding Windshield, Cargo Box
    Warn-3500, 72” plow
    Interco Sniper 920's-28x10-14 on SB-3 Wheels
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    JBS-Firewall Shields
    Weller-ReFlash
    HMF-Titan Quiet Exhaust & Rear Bumper
    NGK-Iridium Plugs
    24” LED Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    Insurance proportional to HP. LOL

Yep some companies won't accept them as with high CC snowmobiles. Too powerful, too fas not that the smaller engine can't make the machine fly. But easier to get into trouble with.

Where's the Roof, sun shade, wet head protector. bird shit interceptor.....a must have in my opinion.

Hmm after that you dumped the old lady and slde onto a new girl eh.... slick move for some.
    Bank acccount Zero now....LOL

Enjoy your new lady!!
    Jraoffroad likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1165 times
    Glad you're staying, you have lots to offer. Understand the move. You got a killer deal. I thought we had 47 HP and the KRX is 112HP, please clarify.
    I just saw a video this morning....the wheel pattern is the same as Polaris but they said wheels will not interchange, the KRX has a hub ring which centers and lug nuts that are flat with washers. Crazy but concentric lol. Polaris are lug concentric like the Wolv. But you don't need wheels for the KRX they look great.
    Paul65 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Congrats!
    Jraoffroad likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1159 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    Glad you're staying, you have lots to offer. Understand the move. You got a killer deal. I thought we had 47 HP and the KRX is 112HP, please clarify.
    I just saw a video this morning....the wheel pattern is the same as Polaris but they said wheels will not interchange, the KRX has a hub ring which centers and lug nuts that are flat with washers. Crazy but concentric lol. Polaris are lug concentric like the Wolv. But you don't need wheels for the KRX they look great.
    We may, I was thinking it was 57. EDIT, your right 47. I've thinking 57 for awhile now. Original post edited.

I can confirm they are hubcentric wheels. I was hoping polaris wheels would fit with right lug nuts, there always a polaris around if need a spare in an emergency.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 05-26-2020 at 02:35 PM.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    Awesome machine and enjoy your new ride.
    Jraoffroad likes this.
    Progress is man’s ability to complicate simplicity.

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
    Yamaha front/rear bumpers
    KFI 4000 Winch
    Super atv half-window
    EMP rear window
    Yamaha storage box
    27" ITP Blackwater Evo's
    Seizmik Pursuit mirrors
    Seizmik Halo mirror
    Yamaha a-arm guards F/R
    Yamaha High Output 15" HALO LED Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1159 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post

Where's the Roof, sun shade, wet head protector. bird shit interceptor.....a must have in my opinion.
    It's coming. I agree it's a must have. I zip tied a floor mat up there for the weekend. I dont care for the factory roofs and believe the premium roof is down right dangerous. I'll be making my own out of 1/8 aluminium.

Here is a pic I found online of the premium roof after a roll over. As soon as looked at one in person and knocked on it I knew it din't stand a chance in our trails. It feels like painted plexiglass.
    erik likes this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete