Bigger and (hopefully) better things - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Bigger and (hopefully) better things

This is a discussion on Bigger and (hopefully) better things within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Same for me. It was my fault. I got one wheel up too high on a bank and the other dropped in a hole and ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Bigger and (hopefully) better things

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    Same for me. It was my fault. I got one wheel up too high on a bank and the other dropped in a hole and over I went. I would like a redo. It wouldn’t happen again. I now know what the limits are for a roll over. I’m just glad there isn’t more damage and no one got hurt.
    I’ve driven ATV’s for over 40 years and a side by side for the last 2. This is my first roll over.
    Jraoffroad likes this.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27” Bearclaw HTR’s
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinegramps View Post
    I’ve driven ATV’s for over 40 years and a side by side for the last 2. This is my first roll over.
    I can't say that. I've got 30 years of dirt bikes, Atv, rail buggies, trucks and SXS's. I've flopped or rolled all of them and I'm not even one of the people in our group that is likely to roll over. It comes with the areas we ride. I cant even be 100% sure this was my first flop this year. I can say I never laid the Wolvey over where I couldn't drive it back on to it's wheels. It always found something to lean on.

This one of our trails. This is the angle if all goes right and you make it. Taking from inside the Samurai.

My nephew making a trail look hard.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 07-31-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    Looking back, the only thing I never rolled or flipped on its side was my Arctic Cat. Rhino, Ranger, RS1, and now X4 have been on its side or worst. The RS1 rolled twice on a big hill. I even flipped an ornery horse over backwards once that I was breaking. That one probably hurt the worst as my foot got stuck in the stirrup and he half way landed on it when he went over backwards and then rolled on it. We went on a very long ride after that and by the time I got home I could shoot and throw a rope from him no problems.
    2018 X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba tune
    Bunch of other stuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Dan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Hey Jraoffroad, just curious, what led you to the Wolverine in the first place rather than a pure sport machine, just thinking the dump box and utility would be handy then realizing you're not needing it?
    I would love a pure sport machine also but I just get so much more value with the X4's four seats and cargo space for hunting and camping. If I won the lottery and didn't care about space and machine usage and all that I'd definitely have both for different occasions.
    therebel19 likes this.
    2020 Wolverine X4
    -4500lbs SuperATV Winch
    -Disconnected front Swaybar

Past: 2012 Grizzly 700 EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hey Jraoffroad, just curious, what led you to the Wolverine in the first place rather than a pure sport machine, just thinking the dump box and utility would be handy then realizing you're not needing it?
    I would love a pure sport machine also but I just get so much more value with the X4's four seats and cargo space for hunting and camping. If I won the lottery and didn't care about space and machine usage and all that I'd definitely have both for different occasions.
    In 2016 the Wolverine was the only sporty "trail" type machine. The Gen 1's did not have a dump bed. All I really need to haul is hunting gear or cooler, tools and chain saw. We had a YXZ and a T2 that had been running with the trucks and I new a few people with RZR's. Out of those, for our riding the T2 did way better, but it rode like the dump truck it is and Polaris left a lot to be desired and rode pretty bad at low speeds. It came down to a T2, P1000 or the Gen 1. Clutch problems took the P1000 out the running. I didn't want to spend a lot because I knew the first SXS would just be for figuring what really wanted. When I found a deal on the Wolvey for $7800 OTD I jumped on it. I liked the gen 1 a lot, but when Yamaha ran away from the 708 as far and fast as they could I knew it was getting traded before the warranty was up. It did show me that maneuverability, ground clearance, storage room and suspension were the what I was looking for and that power was not real important, but being able to run at least 55-60 was nice. The X2 missed on all but the maneuverability, the KRX checked all the boxes except the maneuverability but still turns tighter then a YXZ, even with 10 more inches of wheel base, so I knew it be ok.
    Wolverinegramps, kukini and Dan like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Dan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraoffroad View Post
    In 2016 the Wolverine was the only sporty "trail" type machine. The Gen 1's did not have a dump bed. All I really need to haul is hunting gear or cooler, tools and chain saw. We had a YXZ and a T2 that had been running with the trucks and I new a few people with RZR's. Out of those, for our riding the T2 did way better, but it rode like the dump truck it is and Polaris left a lot to be desired and rode pretty bad at low speeds. It came down to a T2, P1000 or the Gen 1. Clutch problems took the P1000 out the running. I didn't want to spend a lot because I knew the first SXS would just be for figuring what really wanted. When I found a deal on the Wolvey for $7800 OTD I jumped on it. I liked the gen 1 a lot, but when Yamaha ran away from the 708 as far and fast as they could I knew it was getting traded before the warranty was up. It did show me that maneuverability, ground clearance, storage room and suspension were the what I was looking for and that power was not real important, but being able to run at least 55-60 was nice. The X2 missed on all but the maneuverability, the KRX checked all the boxes except the maneuverability but still turns tighter then a YXZ, even with 10 more inches of wheel base, so I knew it be ok.
    Well sounds like you know what you need and won't be disappointed. I'm just venturing into SxS land so I've just been getting up to speed on all the sport machines(YouTube, Shocktherapy etc haha). They sure look impressive, so with their longer suspension and performance orientated builds, do those things ride like Cadillacs compared to an X4 or Pioneer, or are they closer than one would think.

I know they say the X4 is sporty, but I'd still consider it pretty utilitarian, which is fine and what I expected... as you know, if you're carrying any speed/momentum into bumps and washouts, it starts to throw you around like a tractor.
    2020 Wolverine X4
    -4500lbs SuperATV Winch
    -Disconnected front Swaybar

Past: 2012 Grizzly 700 EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1144 times
    The Gen 1 had better suspension then the X series, IMHO, and I had Eibach springs on mine that helped the ride a good bit. Under 10 mph and on terrain that was smooth enough not use all the travel my wolvey was about the same or a little better after that there is no comparison. Most other sport machines I've rode in dont have a low speed ride near as plush as the KRX. If you've seen the Shock therapy vid on the suspension you heard their thoughts on it and they know way more than I do.
    Last edited by Jraoffroad; 08-03-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Budro2, kukini, Tripplec and 1 others like this.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Slugged wet clutch
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinegramps View Post
    Jraoffroad, you're a little hard on equipment.
    I put my Wolverine on it's side for the first time last week. Dented and bent the roll cage slightly. Didn't damage any panels and surprising didn't brake the mirror.
    Welcome to the "on your side" club!!!
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    Welcome to the "on your side" club!!!
    I think if you ride enough trails, you are eventually going to go on your side. Maybe we need "did your mirror survive" club
    Budro2 and Wolverinegramps like this.
    2018 X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba tune
    Bunch of other stuff

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by therebel19 View Post
    I think if you ride enough trails, you are eventually going to go on your side. Maybe we need "did your mirror survive" club
    Maybe we need to a flops picture thread going.

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete