New Yamaha SXS’s? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

New Yamaha SXS’s?

This is a discussion on New Yamaha SXS’s? within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I'm guessing the next machine will be a 64" turbo 847 and the turbo will be sold as a bolt-on for other X2/X4's....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: New Yamaha SXS’s?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    I'm guessing the next machine will be a 64" turbo 847 and the turbo will be sold as a bolt-on for other X2/X4's.
    Last edited by SKELLEY521; 01-22-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    Adapt your machine to how you intend to use it.
    Every mod you do to a machine will have gains somewhere and losses in other areas.
    Decide what you want and what you can live with or without.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1271 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace1962 View Post
    You want all that and a wimpy engine. 112 hp isn't that much for a trail machine. Certainly they would tone it down a little into a trail engine.

Single throttle body, different cams and little less compression and some tuning and the Yamaha 999cc 3 cylinder could be a fine trail engine.

Mated to a CVT with trail ratio's the Yamaha 3 cylinder would actually provide excellent drivability. It wouldn't be much different if you drove it light footed than any other trail machine but when you wanna go at least it will get out of it's own way.

The Wolverine has always been a letdown in the power department. They are spending loads of cash engineering turbo kits for the 850 and it still would not probably not do what the stock 3 cylinder will. With that kind of investment there must be a lot of people looking for serious wheelspin when they put the hammer down.
    Everyone likes a different flavor, thatís for sure.
    I didnít say anything about wanting a wimpy little engine. 110-120 HP so it can turn a 30-32 tire in deep snow or mud and thatís plenty for me. Being more of a crawler I just want it set up for gobs of low end torque. Those high RPMS have no place in my world! Reminds me of back in the day skidding logs with a gutless Massey Ferguson that would lug and never die all day long or getting in the other skidder with a Detroit that made a ton of power if ya kept it screaming but at the end of the day you had a headache and were partially deaf. The gutless lugger always got the job done better, smoother, and was more pleasing to operate, plus you didnít tear things up like the high revving Detroit did. When you finally got it in the power band where it could pull it felt untamed on the verge of out of control, all or nothing. Thatís how I view the YXZ in its current form as a crawler. Granted it doesnít have a CVT so it is hard to gauge if it has any bottom end watching it.
    If they can make that triple work in that light and not sound like itís going to run the drag strip itís fine with me so long as it doesnít rev to the moon to get it.
    SKELLEY521, blast, Jimbo and 2 others like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 14gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan, blowout port
    HW exhaust tip w/ stock arrester mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1271 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    I'm guessing the next machine will be a 64" turbo 847 and the turbo will be sold as a bolt-on for other X2/X4's.
    I think that’s probably a pretty decent guess!

I hope not though. I don’t think I’ll want to turbo an 847 so I think it’s realistic for a 30” tire but then they probably won’t design it around that anyway.
    My dream for something that rock crawls great and can still haul something into camp is probably just that, a dream!
    Last edited by Budro2; 01-22-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    SKELLEY521 likes this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 14gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan, blowout port
    HW exhaust tip w/ stock arrester mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    If Yamaha offered a 69 hp Rhino with out the overheating, oil burning found on previous generations and kept the weight down (around 1100#) they would do very well.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    I think if Yamaha wants to increase market share it wouldn't be too difficult. They have some great snowmobiles. If they decide to focus on the side by side market we could see some exciting products the next few years. If and when they bring out something between the Wolverine and YXZ I'll be the first in line. I like my X2 but to be honest the performance is underwhelming. All my friends have faster rides. I considered Can-Am but the Yamaha reliability was what sold me on the Wolverine.
    Last edited by Wolverinegramps; 01-23-2020 at 05:48 AM.
    atkbike, kukini and Jimbo like this.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27Ē Bearclaw HTRís
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace1962 View Post
    I believe you have been misinformed. The Yamaha YXZ 3 cylinder is a high rpm work horse.

Many wish they could build a engine that will turn up the rpm of Yamaha's triple.

Number of cylinders doesn't really dictate horsepower or speed necessarily. The Talon 2 cylinder is close in horsepower to the Yamaha 3 cylinder. Funny you say we don't need that level as both Yamaha and Honda already have factory turbo kits available to boost the horsepower even more and a bunch more.

The Yamaha 3 cylinder in the YXZ's doesn't have fuel issue taking out cylinders that I ever recall reading about.

https://www.yxztalk.com/forums/yxz-engine.25/ Here are thousands of post on the YXZ engine. Look through them and try to find even one.

The whole 999cc max limit for recreational off road is bullshit and should have never been passed. How is it they can run twice that size on the water in personal water craft. WTF !!!

These babies put out some power. We could only hope and pray it's the engine they choose to power their next trail machine. YXZ engine through a CVT is a bad biotch. The Wildcat XX isn't exactly a slouch with Yamaha's 3 cylinder and CVT in it.

My reference is base on the history or the triple 2cycles and loads of rebuild need as I was TotallyYamaha website (red head block for sure). One venture owner rebuilt his 3 times. Carb issue caused the melt downs from what I recall. I had a Venture 600 twin and got 12,000km on it before it fell apart taking out the engine. Huge rebuild as a head was welded after a wrist pin for the piston to rod let go.

If they're 4 cycles now here then its certainly different. But you don't need 100HP to trail ride. Whats the 708, 40-50 max. I can't drive it max speed (road don't count) and a big engine going to need a lot bigger gas tank!!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    The gutless lugger always got the job done better, smoother, and was more pleasing to operate, plus you didn’t tear things up like the high revving Detroit did. When you finally got it in the power band where it could pull it felt untamed on the verge of out of control, all or nothing. That’s how I view the YXZ in its current form as a crawler.
    sounds like you're talking about my trusty OG 708 wolvie!

I come from the world of sport bikes where 4 cylinders SCREAM, and frankly there's nothing like hitting red line on Inline 4 sport bike... that said I'm more mature these days, and tend to prefer lugging around on the old KLR (single cylinder 650, carbed). I think yamaha's 3 cylinder engine is amazing, and would be great on another platform. It's ALL About gearing.
    Budro2 and atkbike like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    My reference is base on the history or the triple 2cycles and loads of rebuild need as I was TotallyYamaha website (red head block for sure). One venture owner rebuilt his 3 times. Carb issue caused the melt downs from what I recall. I had a Venture 600 twin and got 12,000km on it before it fell apart taking out the engine. Huge rebuild as a head was welded after a wrist pin for the piston to rod let go.

If they're 4 cycles now here then its certainly different. But you don't need 100HP to trail ride. Whats the 708, 40-50 max. I can't drive it max speed (road don't count) and a big engine going to need a lot bigger gas tank!!
    A bigger motor doesn't always mean worse fuel economy. I've owned many 3 and 4 cylinder snowmobiles that got outstanding fuel economy.
    erik likes this.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27Ē Bearclaw HTRís
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinegramps View Post
    A bigger motor doesn't always mean worse fuel economy. I've owned many 3 and 4 cylinder snowmobiles that got outstanding fuel economy.
    100% agree, your driving style is the biggest factor there!
    Wolverinegramps and Tripplec like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    I am just saying. Range is important as we don't have fuel station where we ride mostly. Need enough to make it comfortably. OEM don't provide the information. Knowone wants a gas guzzler SxS anyway to go faster.

Its important to know and be aware of the range for your typical driving on the trails you go on. Not get caught out of gas. I tested mine 3 times at least under different conditions and got the same MPG almost every time so I knew I'd get back with lots to spare (but I still took 20L with me). That was a solid 300km range ability. I see this winter its a lot lower but I don't venture far enough to be a real issue having access to two station on my local home trail. Its only 26km each direction from home so nothing to worry about as long as I watch the gauge. I still can make it home when it flashes low.

Everyone should do a range test from a tank fill to fill again calculation. My Kingquad goes almost twice as far on the same amount of gas but the SxS is twice the weight and bigger. Acceptable non the less on the Gen 1
    Last edited by Tripplec; 01-23-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links