New Yamaha SXS’s? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

New Yamaha SXS’s?

This is a discussion on New Yamaha SXS’s? within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Yamaha 3 cylinder engines have bad reputation in sled, and recently talking to an owner of wave rider the same. The slightest issue in fuel ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: New Yamaha SXS’s?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    Yamaha 3 cylinder engines have bad reputation in sled, and recently talking to an owner of wave rider the same. The slightest issue in fuel system takes out a cylinder. Stick to 2 cylinders at the most for reliability, speed isn't necessary at that level.
    SKELLEY521 and Desert Pete like this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    I would trade my X2 tomorrow if it's got the right equipment, that would be the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog_037 View Post
    XTR covers the YXZ, Wolverine's & the Grizzly , lets hope it's along the lines of Popo's General 2 & 4 seat model.
    Mad Dog_037 likes this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    Adapt your machine to how you intend to use it.
    Every mod you do to a machine will have gains somewhere and losses in other areas.
    Decide what you want and what you can live with or without.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    Yamaha 3 cylinder engines have bad reputation in sled, and recently talking to an owner of wave rider the same. The slightest issue in fuel system takes out a cylinder. Stick to 2 cylinders at the most for reliability, speed isn't necessary at that level.
    Knock on wood I have not had any issues with the Waverunner although it is a 2016 and I'm really liking the 2019-2020 models hmm
    " You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”-Wooderson

2019 X2 Special Edition
    27" Tusk Terrabites
    OEM Folding Windshield
    OEM Soft Rear Window
    KFI 3500 Stealth Winch
    OEM Rear Cargo Box
    Throttle Maxx
    7" LED Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    I would trade my X2 tomorrow if it's got the right equipment, that would be the only way.
    I tried to trade the X2 on the XTR.......The wife said no, she just doesn't understand so I'll wait until Yamaha comes out with the mystery machine
    Budro2 likes this.
    " You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”-Wooderson

2019 X2 Special Edition
    27" Tusk Terrabites
    OEM Folding Windshield
    OEM Soft Rear Window
    KFI 3500 Stealth Winch
    OEM Rear Cargo Box
    Throttle Maxx
    7" LED Light Bar

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    I believe you have been misinformed. The Yamaha YXZ 3 cylinder is a high rpm work horse.

Many wish they could build a engine that will turn up the rpm of Yamaha's triple.

Number of cylinders doesn't really dictate horsepower or speed necessarily. The Talon 2 cylinder is close in horsepower to the Yamaha 3 cylinder. Funny you say we don't need that level as both Yamaha and Honda already have factory turbo kits available to boost the horsepower even more and a bunch more.

The Yamaha 3 cylinder in the YXZ's doesn't have fuel issue taking out cylinders that I ever recall reading about.

https://www.yxztalk.com/forums/yxz-engine.25/ Here are thousands of post on the YXZ engine. Look through them and try to find even one.

The whole 999cc max limit for recreational off road is bullshit and should have never been passed. How is it they can run twice that size on the water in personal water craft. WTF !!!

These babies put out some power. We could only hope and pray it's the engine they choose to power their next trail machine. YXZ engine through a CVT is a bad biotch. The Wildcat XX isn't exactly a slouch with Yamaha's 3 cylinder and CVT in it.

Last edited by danielplace1962; 01-22-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    blast, erik and LJ3 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    Yamaha triple with a CVT, isn't that like the Wildcat XX....lol
    Just seems like the triples power is in the higher rpms, noisy bugger....lol
    Budro2 likes this.
    Every mod you do to a machine will have gains somewhere and losses in other areas.

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Exactly. Can you imagine a Wolverine CVT type trail machine with the balls of a Wildcat XX. Sounds like a fun time to me.
    They make plenty down low too for a engine that will turn 10,500. They will rip the tires off right off idle so not sure it needs more torque. Almost forced to run 4 wheel drive on the tight trails if your getting in it a lot as is does get squirrely.
    SKELLEY521 and blast like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1271 times
    I’m waiting on the perfect trail machine with ground clearance, wheel travel, and a bit of hauling capacity (and no offense to their triple, it has its place) but if they stick that screamer in a trail machine, IM OUT!
    blast and kukini like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 14gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan, blowout port
    HW exhaust tip w/ stock arrester mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    I’m waiting on the perfect trail machine with ground clearance, wheel travel, and a bit of hauling capacity (and no offense to their triple, it has its place) but if they stick that screamer in a trail machine, IM OUT!

You want all that and a wimpy engine. 112 hp isn't that much for a trail machine. Certainly they would tone it down a little into a trail engine.

Single throttle body, different cams and little less compression and some tuning and the Yamaha 999cc 3 cylinder could be a fine trail engine.

Mated to a CVT with trail ratio's the Yamaha 3 cylinder would actually provide excellent drivability. It wouldn't be much different if you drove it light footed than any other trail machine but when you wanna go at least it will get out of it's own way.

The Wolverine has always been a letdown in the power department. They are spending loads of cash engineering turbo kits for the 850 and it still would not probably not do what the stock 3 cylinder will. With that kind of investment there must be a lot of people looking for serious wheelspin when they put the hammer down.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    MNDirtRider and Tripplec like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links