Portal/tire/fitment question
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Portal/tire/fitment question within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Hello guys I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their machines! I have a 2017 rspec with the 3.5" highlifter lift and currently 30" ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jimclemjr
  • 3 Post By DaveD
  • 3 Post By erik
  • 1 Post By DaveD

Thread: Portal/tire/fitment question

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Hello guys I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their machines! I have a 2017 rspec with the 3.5" highlifter lift and currently 30" sludgehammers. I just pulled the trigger on some 4" portals and wanted to know thoughts or experience with this set up. I really want to fit a 35" skinny tire on it. Like a 8" or 9" wide. Right now I don't have any problems rubbing anywhere and I have @1.5-2" of clearance in the rear before the tires woukd hit the behind the driver side piece. If I lifted up the 4" what's the largest size I can fit without that back piece rubbing? I'm debating before I purchase some tires and wheels but I really want to do 34-35" tires. But not if they will rub. Minimal rubbing is normal and fine, just wanted to get any first or second hand experience here? Thanks and happy holidays to all!
    2017 white wolverine RSpec eps
    3.5" highlifter lift
    1" wheel spacers all 4 corners
    30" terminators/ 14" m20 wheels
    Epi extreme clutch kit
    Boss audio 1000w 4 speakers
    Roof light bar
    Rear light bar
    4 light pods at all 4 corners
    3500lb quadboss winch
    1/2 windshield
    Front and rear push bumpers
    mudbuster fender flares
    Front and rear aluminum skid plates

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    Good question! I've never messed with that bracket lift, so I can't give you any exact numbers. I'd recommend cutting a wheel out of plywood, 34" or 35", or whatever size you're shooting for and using it as a guide. You can find the center, measure down 4" for the portal lift, and drill holes to mount to your wheel. Then you can cycle through the travel by hand to see what you can get away with.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    I was wondering the other day what wheel bolt pattern you get with portals. Can you specify a different final bolt pattern? I guess you will be wanting 15" rims and bet there is probably a better selection in the bigger Polaris wheel bolt pattern.
    SuperATV likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Another nice feature with portals is you have the 4 most common bolt patterns available to use! So even if you get another wheel that has another bolt pattern, u just remove the studs and replace them for the new bolt pattern needed! And I'm looking at either an 18" or 20" wheel with the tires im looking at.
    jimclemjr, erik and SuperATV like this.
    3.5" highlifter lift
    Epi extreme clutch kit
    Roof light bar
    Rear light bar
    3500lb quadboss winch
    1/2 windshield
    mudbuster fender flares

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    389 times
    dude that's gonne be awesome! Would love to see pics and it in action!
    atkbike, SuperATV and DaveD like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    Yep! Any basic industry bolt pattern can be used. And...no more wheel bearings. We jokingly call it the ultimate wheel bearing delete kit. Lol!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    So I went to the SATV site and read the instructions, different details than I imagined. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but in a related question for SATV, if you get one gear reduction (15% or 30%) can you buy the gear set for the other gear reduction in the future? Appears that they may be in sets to accomplish the gearing that way......
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    For superatv, once u choose a bolt pattern, can u change the bolt pattern again while everything is on the machine if u want to fit a different type of wheel then u initially chose for it? U just slide the bolts out and reposition where needed? Anything else?
    SuperATV likes this.
    3.5" highlifter lift
    Epi extreme clutch kit
    Roof light bar
    Rear light bar
    3500lb quadboss winch
    1/2 windshield
    mudbuster fender flares

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    So I went to the SATV site and read the instructions, different details than I imagined. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but in a related question for SATV, if you get one gear reduction (15% or 30%) can you buy the gear set for the other gear reduction in the future? Appears that they may be in sets to accomplish the gearing that way......
    No, not at this time. The cases are specific to the gear reduction chosen, and require different internal tolerances for the different gears. They can't be swapped around in the current Gen 3 design. You can tell which case/gear reduction you have by checking the engraved GR% by the drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    For superatv, once u choose a bolt pattern, can u change the bolt pattern again while everything is on the machine if u want to fit a different type of wheel then u initially chose for it? U just slide the bolts out and reposition where needed? Anything else?
    You can change them up whenever and however you want. Just change the studs out to match the bolt pattern and stud size you need. Check it out...

Sponsored Links