Winter Riding? Who's out in this Cold Weather
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Winter Riding? Who's out in this Cold Weather within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; The deep cold started early this year with a big snowfall beginning of NOV. Thats all gone after mild season temps back to +8C and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Winter Riding? Who's out in this Cold Weather

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times

The deep cold started early this year with a big snowfall beginning of NOV. Thats all gone after mild season temps back to +8C and more one day. But now its back down -8C AM temps and holding low still through the day. I plan to get out on the trail this winter as long as snow is minimal since Snowmobiles will be out when its a bigger snowfall and i shouldn't. LOL I started looking at a heated seat pad heat source for my back side. Walmart has heated seat pads on clearance etc. Securing to the not so standard seat setups will be a big of a challenge.

I took my ATV (Kingquad 750 for a short ride) since I hadn't gone anywhere since I did the winter oil change and ensure it running ok and at the higher speeds I don't do plowing. Then put the plow on it ready for the snow this time.

My body hasn't adjusted to the cold, yet...so I am curled up in the warm house more than not. Eventually I'll get out with the Wolverine for some cold weather drives. (Wheels riding not tracks)
    MORSNO likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    We have been out in this cold weather as well. Just have a full front windshield so it can get quite chilly riding. Especially riding along the lake with a wind out of the NW blowing. I use my snowmobile pants when it gets this cold. Usually use the Wolvie ice fishing until the snow gets too deep. Switch to the snowmobile until the snow melts in late March. Then back to the Wolvie. -10C this morning.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2016 Wolverine RSpec EPS
    Folding Windshield
    4000Lb Warn Winch
    Rear View Mirror
    Sparco Seat Adjuster
    Accessory Bar
    Cargo Bed Box

Wholigan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    LOL, I haven't used my snow pants yet. Last year when I got this in DEC. I drove with my lined Jeans!!! Enough protection as there isn't an wind of consequence inside sitting. I have a neck pull over protector which is quite thin and amazing how much it keeps the area warm. No freezing my throat with it. Since you're fishing you'd need those snow pants though. I have done it a number of time way up north in Haliburton chopping a hole with an axe. High winds on the lake drive me home after a few hours though. Too much not matter how you're dressed just standing or sitting on the side of the hole using the sled seat.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Mine is put away for the winter. Not too many places I can ride this time of year anyway. I usually get it ready the end of March for spring riding. My first ride is usually the end of March or beginning of April.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27” Bearclaw HTR’s
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I've been out a lot lately plowing snow. The temperatures haven't been punishing, though, mid-twenties. I have a half-windshield, which helps, and I unplug the switch ports in the dash - which I don't use for switches - and that lets warm air off the radiator into the cab. With that, good gloves, and a ski jacket and I'm pretty comfortable, even after several hours. As a side note, I am very, very impressed with these Bighorn 2.0s. Although I run out of traction when the pile of snow in front of the blade gets too big, I've never come close to getting stuck.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Energy Suspension greaseable rear Swaybar Bushings
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    I don’t see deep snow in WV but we ride year round. It doesnt get into the negative digits often. It takes good gear. I like the First Gear motorcycle insulated suit.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. 2016 RSpec Spec Ed
    Gorilla winch, Seizmic mirrors, EMP rear shield, Rugged Radio with intercom, 20" light bar, horn plays Dixie, 2"Perfex lift, Kenda Bearclaws ,Trail Tech temp gauge, Yama rear box and bumper, Throttle Max, tow rope to pull Polaris and Canams. TGM doors and door bags, Power Commander V. TCP "Mudder"radiator,Hunterworks high output fan, Superatv split windshield, extra wide homemade flex fenders.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    My wife and I are heading to the WV outlaw trails after Xmas. I ordered a soft cab yesterday with a 3-4 week lead time so I expect it'll be waiting on the front porch when we get back from a rainy/snowy trip.
    atkbike likes this.

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Been out like crazy since I got the hard cab and tracks installed...what a difference - truly impressed with how this thing floats on snow - I had no idea and for some reason had visions of it sinking in the deep stuff...but it just keeps crawling...awesome! However, had a HORRIBLE experience with the install guy I used in Denver (Phillips Racing in Littleton)...will be posting on that at some point this week so nobody else ends up using him - spent 4 days in the garage with the entire thing torn apart redoing everything the right way myself.

To give you a taste, one of the things he supposedly installed was the heater...I pulled apart the side panels and got under the driver seat to find the heater mounted...but never hooked into the coolant lines. That’s not something you just forget to do...that’s negligence. I have a list of 18 other things he completely messed up to...bolts fell out of the winch he installed, windshield almost popped out on the first ride as it was never tightened down, main roll bar frame bolts were left finger tight, track attack angles never set, jammed a raw wire into a fuse to get power to the winch, the list is a mile long!

Name:  ECC98AD2-C398-4940-9221-C8C42C4F204E.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  3.48 MB

Name:  2FC20F0F-3CC6-4AAF-BFBF-6ED96858A21B.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  3.35 MB

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Sorry to hear about all your problems but sure looks awesome!
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27” Bearclaw HTR’s
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Yes, it was a hard lesson in doing your own work whenever possible - I got bizzy and thought I’d save myself some time and bloody knuckles and pay somebody else to do it, but really bit me in the arse this time. Just absolutely blows my mind the quality of work this shop did. They even stuck me in turtle mode as they forgot to plugin the ignition behind the firewall when putting it all back together

Here’s a before and after pic, and on the trailer pic:

Name:  27D385F4-CA84-4BCA-BC9F-38B56FCAA104.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  890.9 KB

Name:  61EE0F9C-EC14-4875-925B-A041F069BC70.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  197A81BF-FBFF-4CC5-AAEF-8BA8681C6979.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  3.50 MB
    Wolverinegramps and atkbike like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast