Battery voltage
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Battery voltage

This is a discussion on Battery voltage within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Was wondering what you guys are registering on you gauge for battery voltage. Mine seemed to have died last weekend on the trail and voltage ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Battery voltage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times

Battery voltage

Was wondering what you guys are registering on you gauge for battery voltage. Mine seemed to have died last weekend on the trail and voltage continued to drop rapidly on the race back to camp but eventually it just died weirdest thing ever because all the lights on dash were lit up. I had a booster pack at camp which I hooked up and it ran fine to get up on trailer. At home I put the charger on battery for 24 hours but I only get a reading of 12.4 on the gauge. When I turn my fan on it drops to 11.7. I thinks the battery has a bad cell? Hopefully it’s just a battery....
    2016 R-Spec SE
    3500 lb. Warn ProVantage,synthetic line,wireless remote
    Yamaha wind deflector
    Yamaha rear bumper
    Yamaha storage box
    Axia Alloys rear view mirror
    Axia Alloys GPS mount
    Axia Alloys IPhone mount
    Fuzzy dice
    Perfex 2” Lift kit
    Super ATV high clearance rear control arms
    Rigid 20” Light bar
    LED lighted whip
    Concours dash panel
    Concours fan override Switch harness
    Mictuning switches
    Sony Bluetooth speaker

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Mine has always been In the high 13's I believe. And as I turn on lights it drops but when I turn off it goes back hi to 13.7 or maybe even 14.2. Sounds like a bad battery or cell like u said.
    2017 white wolverine RSpec eps
    3.5" highlifter lift
    1" wheel spacers all 4 corners
    30" terminators/ 14" m20 wheels
    Epi extreme clutch kit
    Boss audio 1000w 4 speakers
    Roof light bar
    Rear light bar
    4 light pods at all 4 corners
    3500lb quadboss winch
    1/2 windshield
    Front and rear push bumpers
    mudbuster fender flares
    Front and rear aluminum skid plates

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Malone View Post
    Was wondering what you guys are registering on you gauge for battery voltage. Mine seemed to have died last weekend on the trail and voltage continued to drop rapidly on the race back to camp but eventually it just died weirdest thing ever because all the lights on dash were lit up. I had a booster pack at camp which I hooked up and it ran fine to get up on trailer. At home I put the charger on battery for 24 hours but I only get a reading of 12.4 on the gauge. When I turn my fan on it drops to 11.7. I thinks the battery has a bad cell? Hopefully it’s just a battery....
    Tha would be close to normal voltages if it wasn't running. Not saying the battery isn't shot as it probably is. Question is though is the charging system working. With battery right off the charger start it up with no load and it should be up 13.8 - 14.1 volt.

If your charging system died the symptoms would also be as described is all I am saying. Don't want new battery to go dead on you too. They aren't so good after a deep discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Mine has always been In the high 13's I believe. And as I turn on lights it drops but when I turn off it goes back hi to 13.7 or maybe even 14.2. Sounds like a bad battery or cell like u said.
    That is running. He is load testing fully charged but don't think he started it ???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Fully charged and running it only reads 12.4 volts. If I have vehicle idling with no load can I disconnect battery and would charging system keep it running? Kind of like an alternator test?
    2016 R-Spec SE
    Yamaha wind deflector
    Yamaha rear bumper
    Yamaha storage box
    Axia Alloys GPS mount
    Axia Alloys IPhone mount
    Fuzzy dice
    Perfex 2” Lift kit
    Rigid 20” Light bar
    LED lighted whip
    Concours dash panel
    Concours fan override Switch harness
    Mictuning switches
    Sony Bluetooth speaker

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Malone View Post
    Fully charged and running it only reads 12.4 volts. If I have vehicle idling with no load can I disconnect battery and would charging system keep it running? Kind of like an alternator test?
    It could be the charging system or the battery still. But if running at 12.4 you are really low for sure.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    587 times
    At 12.4 running I would suspect the charging system.
    atkbike likes this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Charge the battery with a charger until it says it is fully charged.
    Take it to an auto parts store and have them do a load test to check for shorted or sulfated cells.
    Then with a good fully charged battery on your Wolverine it should charge between the low 13's to up close to 15 volts according to the load on the electrical system.
    If you are only seeing 12.4 volts with it running you either have a discharged or bad battery or something is wrong with the charging system, or it could be both.
    atkbike likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    472 times
    All your symptoms and descriptions lead to a dying battery and a battery pack starts it back up. four years old about time for another. It is a little premature but possible. but look at the charging system to see what helped it die. These stators have been fairly reliable and I would not give up on it too quickly. Check your rectifier and also make sure that the grounding on the whole system is good. Especially the rectifier and the negative cable that connects to the motor block right at the backside of the starter below the throttle body. All grounds should be to bare metal and have di-electric grease to protect the connection. And ground back to battery negative with full sized cabling.
    Last edited by jimclemjr; 08-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Too many assumptions going on here.

First STIX....

Facts first.

You say charged. What do you mean, you had an external charger on it or...?? What was the finished voltage?

After sitting and surface charge removed what is the battery voltage without the engine running? (Headligh on for a minute will remove the surface voltage)

Normally the full charged voltage is ~12.5 to 12.6VDC, after being charge with surface its ~13.8VDC but drops slowly to the 12.6VDC

Have you checked your wiring? Around the regulator, fuses (can be meter through the tabs in the plastic) Voltage should be on both sides.

As for you question a HUGE NO to running without the battery connected. Don't disconnect the battery while running.

Its possible your voltage regulator is gone but its a very high wattage regulator and the first I have read here quitting. Bad ground to it is more likely. If you driving in deep water corrosion is likely somewhere.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Checked battery today after sitting for 2 days in machine with nothing on and no charger on it. Checked voltage at battery with voltage tester and it read 15.2 volts??? How? I’m confused now for sure.

Tripp I charged battery to 12.8 three days ago. Started machine and instrument gauge read 12.4 and dropped when lights and fan were turned in but recovered to 12.4 when turned off.
    2016 R-Spec SE
    Yamaha wind deflector
    Yamaha rear bumper
    Yamaha storage box
    Axia Alloys GPS mount
    Axia Alloys IPhone mount
    Fuzzy dice
    Perfex 2” Lift kit
    Rigid 20” Light bar