PC-V install tips?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

PC-V install tips?

This is a discussion on PC-V install tips? within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; So I just received the PC-V from Hunterworks today. Bed is removed, seats and console are out. I "walked thru" the install instructions and it ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: PC-V install tips?

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times

PC-V install tips?

So I just received the PC-V from Hunterworks today. Bed is removed, seats and console are out. I "walked thru" the install instructions and it looks to be pretty straight-forward. The one issue I see is getting to the the crank position sensor connector, its down low on the skid pan damn near underneath the airbox and its VERY hard to get to with my big fat meat-hook hands. I can get one hand down in there but I need both to unplug those damn connectors! Any tips? Airbox gotta come out? Oh and speaking of connectors, whats the disconnect trick on these? Looks like maybe a little tab needs to be pushed in the on the CPS connector and probably others as well. I haven't really looked at the other connectors. Do any of them require a tool or a neat trick to get them unplugged?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    498 times
    Different machines are in different places, mine was under the engine, I had left tire off and reached in and unplugged with one hand and plugged with one hand, was a booger

Some machines you just reach down on passenger side of the air box and get to it.

No tip or trick and yes on push or squeeze the tab on plug and pull apart

Todd
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Mine was under the air box to. Its a pain to get the air box out, but its the only way to get to that connector. Also it gives you a chance to to make sure your hose clamps are tight and sealed on the intake tubes.
    jimclemjr likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    359 times
    Have you taken off the top part of the tunnel that holds the center console. It doesn’t take very long to do. That’s going to give you a lot of room to work, then say more curse words drink another beer and eventually you get it done. I didn’t remove the air filter box but I’m a small guy!
    Tripplec likes this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Got 'er done.

So to get to that crank sensor connector I only had to remove the intake boot (from the airbox to the throttle body). Once that was out of the way it gave me enough room to work my big meat-hook hands down past the damn shifter rod and get ahold of juuuuust enough of the connector to disconnect and reconnect the PC-V. The tip of that disconnector tab couldn't possibly be any smaller, could it?

The other challenge was the coil unit, not much room to work there either. Some crafty surgeon-esque work with the needle-nose pliars was the ticket.

I also noticed that the factory dust boots that cap the throttle position sensor and fuel injector connections are not removable, so now the PC-V connections in those locations are not covered by a protective boot. Yamaha thought it was a good idea to protect these connections, and now they ain't. Is this an issue?
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    498 times
    I guess I don't recall what you mean by a boot but all the connections are sealed and to my knowledge no issues so far and been like 4 years
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
    I guess I don't recall what you mean by a boot but all the connections are sealed and to my knowledge no issues so far and been like 4 years
    The factory throttle position sensor and fuel injector connections are covered with rubber-ish protective boots. These boots are even described in the PC-V installation instructions, which directs the installer to remove them from the connection. Well, they can't really be "removed", only slid back on the wires, out of the way. But the PC-V connections do not include these protective boots, so those connections are no longer protected. As I mentioned above, Yamaha felt it was necessary to protect these connections, but apparently the DynoJet people don't agree. Just wondered if this might cause future problems.

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Protective boots, what protective boots ? Don't even know what your talking about.
    Yes the ones that keep the pressure washer from injecting all your connectors.
    Imagine if it was a real question or warranty problem. It will be the first one they have ever heard of having a issue.

No issues ? No run isn't a issue ?

Cheap Chinese electronics are never going to come close to the dependable parts it has from the factory.

Guy just the other day with a brand new current one had to remove it and send it back so his would run again.

I would love to run a controller but there is no way I am going to decrease the dependability of the Wolverine to install one. I would rather be running lean than not at all.
    Imagine being 20 miles out and it take a dump. Seems every week there is another person removing one of them to get their Wolvie to run again.
    I have read thread after thread of no run condition cured by disconnecting the PC and going back stock.

Who in there right mind would think that is ok. It isn't just one or two it is a bunch and those are just the ones who posted about it here. Search the internet for Dynajet power commander failures and you can read and watch video's for days. Besides total no run failures to ones that run like crap because unit is defective.

I'll pass until they can make a unit that doesn't regularly need to be taken back off to get it to run again.

These stock lean engines are going many thousands of miles with no mechanical issues related to it being run lean and until there is a dependable unit it will stay that way. I am just not into long hikes through the woods for hours because I tried to fix my lean running engine.

How many are still running with the PC after many thousands of miles is of no insurance when I am still reading of all the ones that didn't make it.

Take a look at Yamaha's ecm's and the like. They are a rugged rubber covered serious pieces of electronics made for the environment it will live in. Most importantly they are mounted properly. Now look at the PC controller. Looks like something one blast with the pressure washer would take out. The PC looks like it should be on a computer in the house not on a off road machine. Don't see many Yamaha electronics mounted with Velcro. Give me a break. Velcro. Make a proper mount for the thing already so it isn't getting the crap pounded out of it. No wonder they crap out everyday. Chinese electronics won't stand up without at least a proper mounting situation. If the case can bump solid objects it will fail from vibration that much I can promise you.
    Last edited by danielplace1962; 07-17-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Tripplec likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    I'd suggest some die electric grease on all your connections. I did have an issue with water getting into the crank position sensor, but that was easily rectified.

In regards to danielplace1962, well he's not wrong, however I think he's made several assumptions and used anecdotal evidence. With that said, anecdotally, I've had great luck with power commanders on several different vehicles in the past, and continue to use one on my wolverine. WAY fewer folks will come on line to tell you how great a product is, they just use it and are happy they got what they paid for. On the other hand, when something doesn't work how they expect it to, you'll hear and read about it - so take online research with a grain of salt.

Cheers
    MORSNO and Budro2 like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    I'd suggest some die electric grease on all your connections. I did have an issue with water getting into the crank position sensor, but that was easily rectified.

In regards to danielplace1962, well he's not wrong, however I think he's made several assumptions and used anecdotal evidence. With that said, anecdotally, I've had great luck with power commanders on several different vehicles in the past, and continue to use one on my wolverine. WAY fewer folks will come on line to tell you how great a product is, they just use it and are happy they got what they paid for. On the other hand, when something doesn't work how they expect it to, you'll hear and read about it - so take online research with a grain of salt.

Cheers
    Definitely agree on who reports in. It isn't the happy ones but more than several dead Wolverines because of the PC is too many for me to risk getting stranded trying to fix a problem that I don't have a problem with in the first place not to the point of risking a long walk and unimaginable headache trying to recover the dead Wolverine deep in the trail where no 4 wheel drive is even allowed to go.

They are just a cheaply of a constructed unit and to be mounted with Velcro is in itself a deal breaker.

I'll be honest I would like to control the mixture but not if there is even a remote chance it would be the reason it could die on me in the middle of nowhere.

I have heard of very few having a no run condition unless it was PC related. That is the first thing people ask when one won't start and seems they are usually right. Disconnect the PC and fires right up.
    Last edited by danielplace1962; 07-17-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links