Super ATV control arms - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Super ATV control arms

This is a discussion on Super ATV control arms within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by johnl147 If you make rears for the x4 and amount that you could push the tire back would be great! It would ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Super ATV control arms

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl147 View Post
    If you make rears for the x4 and amount that you could push the tire back would be great! It would allow larger tires not to rub on the frame rail. An inch or two would make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be awesome. I wonder how much they have to work with on the stock axles? The rears are already pushed back at a rearward angle if that makes since.?
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE
    OEM windshield, roof, and front A-arm guards
    SuperAtv 3500 lb winch and 1.5" wheel spacers
    28x10x12 dirt commanders all around

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRider612 View Post
    That would be awesome. I wonder how much they have to work with on the stock axles? The rears are already pushed back at a rearward angle if that makes since.?
    Not much. I think we looked into a rear offset a-arm back there, but the stock axles wanted to bind up at full drop so the design has been tabled for now.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperATV View Post
    Not much. I think we looked into a rear offset a-arm back there, but the stock axles wanted to bind up at full drop so the design has been tabled for now.
    This makes me sad.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE
    OEM windshield, roof, and front A-arm guards
    SuperAtv 3500 lb winch and 1.5" wheel spacers
    28x10x12 dirt commanders all around

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRider612 View Post
    This makes me sad.
    Don't be sad, DirtRider612! It doesn't mean its totally dead. Just delayed for more time sensitive stuff, like keeping up with current stock.
    DirtRider612 likes this.

Supporting Member the_off_road_champs's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Looks good man
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE
    28 " Sedona Ripsaw Tires
    14" HD Wheel
    Super ATV Tri-Fold Windshield
    Boss Wireless Audio System
    Super ATV 3500lb Winch
    AUXBEAM Three Tier 32" Front LED Bar
    High Lifter 3.5" Lift
    Side Mirrors

YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDi...vYJ2ycEou5mpWA

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    I thought rather than start a new thread I would piggyback this one to keep all relative info together, hope Moderators and OP are good with that. I also know that SuperATV is monitoring this one. I mounted all four A-arms and will echo the positive comments previously made. However, some concern is offered for the lack of completeness or instructions/parts in the production of the front a-arms I received. On the front A-arms the mounting flange thickness is significantly undersized for the OEM ball joint. There is about 4mm difference (5/32") and no info to do any difference other than use factory hardware to install. If installed as directed the castle nut would be tightened beyond the point to not receive the cotter pin, essentially locking the nut from loosening. This bothered me when I installed, so I went thru my salvage parts and added a couple of thick hardened washers. They preformed well this past weekend at LBL. Now the wisdom. One of my buddies has these arms which was a factor in my purchase. He told me previously he was having trouble with his steering and some looseness in driving performance. So this weekend we found the cause. You guessed it- the previous owner who installed his SuperATV A-arms apparently did not tighten the castle nuts sufficiently and they backed off to the cotter pins giving him the 'steering' looseness. Retightened to get him home but needs washers, that is if his spindle bore is not wollered out or his ball joint shaft taper gone so that it cannot be tightened. The machining of the bore with its taper is important to this assemble when it is thinner. If you do not pull the ball joint down as far as the OEM, you leave a gap at bottom of the ball joint boot that allows dirt and water to more easily enter, shortening the ball joint life. (hands up) If you pull it down to OEM location then the washer is needed to reuse the OEM ball joint cotter pin location or a new taller nut. And since apparently there is nothing but OEM spec sized ball joints available then one or the other is necessary. I would be happy if they produced a special ball joint for a modest price with a zerk grease fitting and then that would be an awesome setup! But as is, there is something lacking. SuperATV should provide the washer zip-tied to the a-arm hole so there is no mistake where it goes. If they were supposed to be in my box, I could not find it and there was no special instruction sheet and the online PDF does not mention. A residual benefit to using any type washer it that it would protect that beautiful finish on the arms from the nut peeling off the paint, which pushed me in that direction initially. If SuperATV desires to discuss this matter please feel free to PM me and I will provide my phone number or I can call you at your office.

The attached photos should be self explanatory.

Name:  IMG_1852.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  800.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1853.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  884.1 KB
    MORSNO likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Thanks for the heads up man. I'll show the engineers and ask why its done this way. It looks correct to spec. A little smaller, but still within the tolerance.
    MORSNO likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    SuperATV just for clarity the micrometer is reading mm with two decimal points so the difference is over 4mm or about 5/32" which is the extra extension of the ball joint threads below the a-arm plate. So that amount puts the castle slots of the OEM nut beyond the cotter pin hole of the ball joint shaft without doing anything else. Hope this is more clear.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Yep, I should have clarified it looks correct to our specs on my prints. Our design is 16mm +/- 0.3. I got an answer, but it didn't really clarify it for me. Something about the taper of the hole and allowing for clearances somewhere. Adding washers to fill that gap works great though. Maybe we can include some washers. We've been selling them for a few years and its the first time its ever been brought up, so I didn't get much back story when I asked. We've never had to warranty any. I'll shoot it back to my main QC dude and see if he wants to do an update.
    jimclemjr likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Pretty timely response, thanks. The arm thickness I am sure will meet the production requirements you had, its just that there is a significant difference from what the OEM arm thickness is. The hole for ball joint is not just drilled as it is a tapered hole, I respect that it is a machining process and personally I like the hole produced as is, so the ball joint goes in further, as it does so the ball joint boot (which has taken a set over time) will be tight against the top of the a-arm to help keep water and dirt out. Just needs the washer is my belief. These are great units, it's not a recall, make it like a Service Bulletin like Yamaha did on their items and offer the thick washers to purchasers, slip them in an envelope and just send by mail if requested, cost hardly anything. I will be a tester if you want lol. Update installation details to alert non-skilled installers.
    SuperATV likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links