Synthetic winch line replacement - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Synthetic winch line replacement

This is a discussion on Synthetic winch line replacement within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I went for a cheap Amazon syn rope for my Warn after I snapped a steel line. I had poor luck with my Warn XT ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Synthetic winch line replacement

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I went for a cheap Amazon syn rope for my Warn after I snapped a steel line. I had poor luck with my Warn XT 4000 syn rope back in the day and was reluctant to go back and try again - I am, however, happy so far with this purchase - around $45CAN and came with the steel eye installed. Bought a second one just to have in my cargo box. No issues so far.
    MORSNO likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 SE
    Yamaha Warn 3500 Provantage w/synthetic
    rope and wireless remote
    22" curved LED bar
    Stroodle Aluminum box rails
    Kolpin Stronghold rifle and chainsaw boot
    26" Maxxis BigHorn 3.0
    Hunterworks Sheave/weights
    Weller Racing flash in the works!!!
    More to come...

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    For optimum strength in bad situations. I doubt any synthetic will out do a quality steel cable. I notice in my synthetic if I pull on it tight it draws the rope further into the hub along with other wraps of the rop already below it. I never used this type before. But jamming winch cable is not what you want especially when trying to pull it out for use.

Maybe its not an issue. But in my case it'll be there if/when I or someone else needs it. To move or unstuck someone or thing. I am not plowing with my Wolverine. Its too big for areas I maneuver around and likely back into something. I use the Kingquad 750 for plowing which is more than I'd need. Plows for the Wolverine seem expensive as well. I wouldn't want anything hanging down lower than the skid plate either. The Kingquad center is up higher with nothing of consequence to hang up on any terrain.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    So the line is from Amazon. It called Yoursme Nylon Synthetic Winch Cable Rope with Sheath for SUV ATV UTV Winches Truck Boat Ramsey Car Orange (1/4" x 50'-7500LB+)
    It seems really good but only time will tell. It was cheap and if it lasts one whole season I’ll be happy....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    MORSNO and Jimbo like this.
    2016 R-Spec SE
    3500 lb. Warn ProVantage,synthetic line,wireless remote
    Yamaha wind deflector
    Yamaha rear bumper
    Yamaha storage box
    Axia Alloys rear view mirror
    Axia Alloys GPS mount
    Axia Alloys IPhone mount
    Fuzzy dice
    Perfex 2” Lift kit
    Super ATV high clearance rear control arms
    Rigid 20” Light bar
    LED lighted whip
    Concours dash panel
    Concours fan override Switch harness
    Mictuning switches
    Sony Bluetooth speaker

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Malone View Post
    So the line is from Amazon. It called Yoursme Nylon Synthetic Winch Cable Rope with Sheath for SUV ATV UTV Winches Truck Boat Ramsey Car Orange (1/4" x 50'-7500LB+)
    It seems really good but only time will tell. It was cheap and if it lasts one whole season I’ll be happy....
    Have you ran a steel cable through that fairlead? If so, you need to make sure there's no burs or nicks on the rollers from the steel cable or it will start cutting some strands on your new rope.
    blast likes this.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE
    OEM windshield, roof, and front A-arm guards
    SuperAtv 3500 lb winch and 1.5" wheel spacers
    28x10x12 dirt commanders all around

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    2 things

#1 When you install a new synthetic rope, you are supposed to do a pull in cycle using the weight of the unit to stretch the rope. Typically you leave a few wraps on the spool, then pull the unit up an incline using the winch. I hook to my pickup and limit the pull time to 30-40 second pulls & a rest so don't overheat winch from load.

#2 when using winch to plow, I take off the rope and use a flat strap about 10' long. You can buy a cheap tow strap at Harbor freight and you get 2 sections of the flat starp with each having a hook to attach to plow. Works good & does not fatigue like the rope. Come spring you put back the rope.
    blast likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    I’ve also used my riding lawnmower as a load while respooling synthetic rope. If you have a nice grade you can pull it up while at the same time work the rope back and forth to get it nice and even on the drum.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE Matte/Orange
    OEM glass windshield
    OEM rear glass
    OEM front/rear A arm guards
    OEM front bash plate
    OEM front brush guard
    4500lb Warn VRX
    EMP side mirrors
    28"x 10" x 14" Carnivores w/ MSA M39 wheels with 1-1/2" spacers in rear
    2” Super ATV lift
    HMF Titan slip on exhaust
    Weller ECU reflash
    Hunterworks sheave w/18gr weights

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Roller fairleads are for cable. The exception as was stated above, Flat strap for plowing, unless you have the pulley on your plow. Generally you should a Hawse pipe with synthetic. Very important if you switch back and forth to have no burrs on the roller fairlead. When I get stuck I always pull out all of the line, secure a snatch block at a distance that leaves me 3 turns on the winch. Now you eliminate rope/cable getting sucked into layers below and in theory double the pulling power.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    On my wife's Kingquad we use a flat strap for plowing. I fabricated a couple of straps from a high strength tow strap after the puny straps intended for the purpose failed. On the X2, so far, I've just used the synthetic line that came with the winch. One thing that I know will drive some people crazy is that although the synthetic line will eventually wear through and break after lifting the plow a bunch of times, it is not necessary to splice a new end to get back in the game. A simple bowline knot will work fine to get you going again.
    Tripplec and blast like this.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Belt Smoker
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    some plows use an additional pulley that doubles the lift power similar to snatch block. if using flat strap that pulley has to flat (like a roller) rather than a vee.
    blast likes this.

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    I suppose it depends on how much plowing we do. Up/downs through the winter. I still have a steel cable on the Kingquad and for this 750 it was its first year doing it. Mine was a 2005 700 which I sold. This one I use is a 2009, my son's so it don't sit around all winter now. Perfect size for the area and length I do. The SxS would be too big and long for many maneuvers. I didn't buy it to plow with anyway, just to ride and he can come with me and/or drive me (around the bend!!). LOL
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links