Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; For the second time in little over a year my outer crank case cover had been rubbed through by the CVT belt. I’m running 28” ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times

For the second time in little over a year my outer crank case cover had been rubbed through by the CVT belt. I’m running 28” Zillas with a Hunterworks machined sheave combo kit with green spring and the wet clutch slug kit. Any idea what the hell is going on? It’s a mechanical error, driving style, wrong components?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    you using a shim?
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, OEM stickguards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    you using a shim?
    Nope...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip3618 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    you using a shim?
    Nope...
    I’m sorry, I misread your question and thought you asked if I’m missing a shim.

Yes, I’m using a shim.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times

Yes, I’m using a shim.
    Same here, run 28s and hit cover twice with .5mm shim. Todd does say in all his info that you can’t use the shim if you run 28s. I missed it in all my reading initially. I modified my cover so it doesn’t happen anymore. Just take the shim out, if you go back to 27s in the future you can put it back in! The load with the 28s create more heat, belt stretch and wear. It then drops down in the primary a little lower and rises in the secondary causing contact!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, .5 mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 blackwater evos, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post

Yes, I’m using a shim.
    Same here, run 28s and hit cover twice with .5mm shim. Todd does say in all his info that you can’t use the shim if you run 28s. I missed it in all my reading initially. I modified my cover so it doesn’t happen anymore. Just take the shim out, if you go back to 27s in the future you can put it back in! The load with the 28s create more heat, belt stretch and wear. It then drops down in the primary a little lower and rises in the secondary causing contact!
    Damn, I missed that part too. I had no idea. I’ll be removing shim. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’m guessing no more issues?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Damn, I missed that part too. I had no idea. I’ll be removing shim. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’m guessing no more issues?
    I think only Todd could answer that. I’ve never run mine without the shim. One thing I’ve learned in all my experimentation is that you can putt around or drive under normal conditions all you want with big tires and have no issues. It’s when you get them in deep mud, snow, sand etc and really work it that the belt temps climb fast and then you have problems. Noload runs .75 shim with no problem running 26 and 27 inch tires. He ran a 1mm shim for a season and barley touched the cover. I couldn’t run .5mm with 28s but most of my driving is slow in its lowest ratio working hard. That’s when the heat happens!

I was getting right at 1500 miles on a belt with 28s and the shim before hitting the cover. I think if I drove in deep snow in 4x4 especially diff lock more often it would happen even sooner. Mine always happens when I’m in the deep snow working it. If all I did was rip around the trails I think I would have got twice that many miles on a belt!
    Last edited by Budro2; 05-05-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, .5 mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Got confirmation from Hunterworks to remove the shim. This is what Todd said, “Remove the shim and don't get into situations where the tires are not wanting to turn and you really have to gas on it get going. I know that is asking a lot, but the dang cover just needs to be bigger.”

Thought I’d pass this along. Hope this helps anyone with same problem. But I would still check with Todd because our setups are all different.

I’m curious if anyone with the same issue has removed the shim and if it solved the problem.
    Last edited by Rip3618; 05-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    [QUOTE the dang cover just needs to be bigger[/QUOTE]

It can be bigger!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Rip, I have a very very similar setup to you, 28 wild thangs, which are basically zillas... and HW machined sheave, 14gr weights, green spring, slug kit. I ended up taking my shim out because it was damaged when the primary nut came off, due to the spacer not being centered... its interesting for me to think back to when that happened... because i was near full throttle in high gear and going pretty fast... the more I think about it those things may be related...

Anyhow, no shim any more and ive had no issues. Hope that helps.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links