Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt

This is a discussion on Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Well to my knowledge, so far, no documented cases of hitting with 28s and no shim! Are all of those total miles on the same ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Well to my knowledge, so far, no documented cases of hitting with 28s and no shim!
    Are all of those total miles on the same belt? Or did you change it when installing the new clutch? If you did change it I especially wouldn’t be concerned.

Also I’m not promoting the gates belt with the HW sheave but I did run one about 1600 miles with the shim in and 28s. It did just as well as the OEM.

If you go in and change it please tell us the width afterwards. I’d like to know if it’s within spec!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    730 times
    This is all still on my factory belt. I’ll just order a new one for piece of mind.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip3618 View Post
    I appreciate you guys jumping in on this thread. Like Budro2 said, this issue isn’t talked about much and there is little info. We all should be aware of possible problems and educated on how to diagnose and repair.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of the shim?
    More bottom end. Better sheave ratio to help turn the bigger tires in mud etc. It only helps when the sheave is in its lowest ratio and you lose a small amount of top end speed as well!
    erik likes this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    More bottom end. Better sheave ratio to help turn the bigger tires in mud etc. It only helps when the sheave is in its lowest ratio and you lose a small amount of top end speed as well!
    So, keep the shim and keep the larger tires turning in mud, etc. but risk the belt rubbing the crankcase.

Lose the shim and lose the larger tires spinning in mud, etc. but lose the risk of the belt rubbing the crankcase.

The point of me installing the sheave and clutch kit was to gain power for riding in mud. Now I’m about to lose it by removing the shim? Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like the kit was pointless and I should’ve kept the OEM setup.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    No, 1st part is correct however the HW sheave itself gave you a huge reduction over the stock sheave. The shim is only adding a small amount more.

If you’d like an estimated idea of the differences between stock and the HW sheave and the shim check the end of my original post in CVT COVER MODIFICATION

Also the low ratio of the sheave and shim only help get the tires going. If your reved up and tires turning at over about 8 mph then the cvt has began to cycle up and it’s of no benefit. Your 14 or 16 weights in combo with purple or green spring are what is allowing you keep them turning at that point.

Trust me you made a good investment. The shim in my estimations is only about a 3% gain.
    Last edited by Budro2; 05-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    730 times
    HW does not recommend going over 27” tires with his setup. I knew I was pushing it with the 28’s. Todd told me to remove the shim. I only went 28 because I wanted 10” wide all around. With the 27’s the performance was great and there was not any worry about the machine getting extra wear and tear. These engines just aren’t really powerful enough for what a lot of us are trying to do with them. They are great if you run stock setups but a good deal of us want to be taller with bigger tires and more low end. It is what it is. My plan is in 2 years to either get a new wolvy or a YXZ. I’ve spent so much on this one that it wouldnt make any sense to do it yet.
    Budro2 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcdan13 View Post
    HW does not recommend going over 27” tires with his setup. I knew I was pushing it with the 28’s. Todd told me to remove the shim. I only went 28 because I wanted 10” wide all around. With the 27’s the performance was great and there was not any worry about the machine getting extra wear and tear. These engines just aren’t really powerful enough for what a lot of us are trying to do with them. They are great if you run stock setups but a good deal of us want to be taller with bigger tires and more low end. It is what it is. My plan is in 2 years to either get a new wolvy or a YXZ. I’ve spent so much on this one that it wouldnt make any sense to do it yet.
    Same here!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcdan13 View Post
    Same here!
    I’m with both of you. Again, thanks for the info.
    Budro2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip3618 View Post
    I’m with both of you. Again, thanks for the info.
    Lol yup, i have similar thoughts. Want to know more on how the talon holds up long term, too.
    Budro2 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    It is just a cover, nothing really structural. Wouldn't it be so easy for someone to just tool up a plastic mold for an enlarged cover case? Just think...…….
    MORSNO and Budro2 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links