Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt

This is a discussion on Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by erik Rip, I have a very very similar setup to you, 28 wild thangs, which are basically zillas... and HW machined sheave, ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Crank Case Cover Damaged From Belt

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    Rip, I have a very very similar setup to you, 28 wild thangs, which are basically zillas... and HW machined sheave, 14gr weights, green spring, slug kit. I ended up taking my shim out because it was damaged when the primary nut came off, due to the spacer not being centered... its interesting for me to think back to when that happened... because i was near full throttle in high gear and going pretty fast... the more I think about it those things may be related...

Anyhow, no shim any more and ive had no issues. Hope that helps.
    We have literally the same set up. I have Wild Thangs too I just listed them as Zillas (same damn tire) to avoid confusion with anyone who wasn’t familiar. Lol

Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to getting back out this weekend once I get my new crankcase cover installed.
    erik likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Man now you guys have me a little worried. I took the shim out when I put my 28” blackwater evolutions on but I feel like I need to tear it apart and peek inside again. I also wonder though, would tire weight make a difference in belt stretch? The four 28x10x14 blackwater evos weigh 31.1lbs each. The tires I took off were 27x11x14 (rear)ripsaws 37lbs each and 27x9x14 (front) ripsaws at 30.2lbs each. So I am now at 124.4lbs for 4 tires vs the 134.4 for the ripsaws. Does the weight savings vs the new tires being taller help me at all?
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcdan13 View Post
    Man now you guys have me a little worried. I took the shim out when I put my 28” blackwater evolutions on but I feel like I need to tear it apart and peek inside again. I also wonder though, would tire weight make a difference in belt stretch? The four 28x10x14 blackwater evos weigh 31.1lbs each. The tires I took off were 27x11x14 (rear)ripsaws 37lbs each and 27x9x14 (front) ripsaws at 30.2lbs each. So I am now at 124.4lbs for 4 tires vs the 134.4 for the ripsaws. Does the weight savings vs the new tires being taller help me at all?
    It’s happened to me twice, likely because of the style of riding I do. We all know it’s a pain in the ass to access the CVT but it would be worth a look. Especially if you're riding consists of digging through some sloppy stuff and your tires struggle to spin.

I hate to say it, but I’m probably going to dump the Gen1 and buy a Gen2 or Talon. The Gen1 is a great little machine but the lack of power doesn’t fit my style of riding.
    Budro2 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    I’m going to Hatfield and Spearhead next Friday to do both Pocahontas trails. I’ll try to rip it apart tonight and look. I only have about 100 miles on it since the switch to the 28’s. So I should just look for rubbing on the inside?
    Budro2 likes this.

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Yep. You’ll definitely notice it if the belt is rubbing.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    I think you need an engineer/math genius for that. I donít know if thereís a way to know other than trial through miles.
    In my mind itís probably a bit of a wash but Iíd lean more towards the 28s creating more load. Doesnít mean Iím right!
    I think youíll be just fine but long term my recommendation would be to check on the belt at 1500 miles and measure it for wear and then report. It would be interesting information if everyone did that! 2000 miles is probably enough miles on a belt anyway given the fact weíre not stock and pushing the limits of the CVT. Most of us donít do more than 2000 miles in a year and really ought to go in and clean and service once a year.

One thing I can add about cover rub thatís food for thought: Noload was getting a belt chirp once in awhile when heíd be on it with the CVT cycled up and hit the skids hard and fast to a stop. Kinda like the CVT couldnít close back up in time and left the belt slack so when heíd go again the belt would bark a little! When he was last in there changing his secondary spring he jacked it up and with the cover off reproduced the scenario and sent me a video. He ran it up and then hit the brake and you can see the slack in the belt at the bottom. Then as you go again that slack carries around brushing the cover right at the bottom for an instant.
    I say this because he hasnít had any serious trouble but has brushed his cover. What it it told us is that while heís running it maxed out heís ok, heís just so close that in the right circumstance he may brush once in awhile but thatís different than what myself and RIP got where itís full on contact.

In Noloads case he is running.75 shim and alternates between 26 and 27 inch tires and it works for him. He even ran 1mm shim for a season and only slightly brushed but backed off to .75. This is more than supposedly is possible and is confirmation that tires size is a big player in the equation! That said he also runs a heavier spring and weights than all of us and we both are convinced that it is a factor as well, though weíre not CVT expert enough to know exactly why. One thought is just better belt grip, but without more miles and experimenting itís speculation on our part!

Iím glad thereís a few more guys talking about this. It will be educational for all of us. Most people donít run the setup we are so thereís not a lot of info for us to go on. Please post all info going ahead positive or negative!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcdan13 View Post
    I’m going to Hatfield and Spearhead next Friday to do both Pocahontas trails. I’ll try to rip it apart tonight and look. I only have about 100 miles on it since the switch to the 28’s. So I should just look for rubbing on the inside?
    Yes if you get any brushing at all it will be right at the bottom on the outside cover!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Dan I wouldn’t tear into it yet unless there’s already a lot of miles on that belt. I ran the shim and still didn’t hit till around 1500 miles on the belt both times and that was doing a lot of crawling and snow! I’ve got evos too and on the 14x7 wheels they were 27 tall. I think RIP s tires were probably taller and or heavier. You should be fine!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Billy Goat
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I appreciate you guys jumping in on this thread. Like Budro2 said, this issue isn’t talked about much and there is little info. We all should be aware of possible problems and educated on how to diagnose and repair.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of the shim?
    Last edited by Rip3618; 05-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    Dan I wouldn’t tear into it yet unless there’s already a lot of miles on that belt. I ran the shim and still didn’t hit till around 1500 miles on the belt both times and that was doing a lot of crawling and snow! I’ve got evos too and on the 14x7 wheels they were 27 tall. I think RIP s tires were probably taller and or heavier. You should be fine!
    I have 1300 miles on the machine. Probably 500 of it with the clutch work with the .5mm shim and 27’s. Just shy of 100 with the 28’s and no shim. Do you still think I’m probably ok? Also, I have another belt in my toolbox. It’s a gates I got from HW but I think I read on his site to use an OEM belt with 28’s. Thoughts? We’ll probably do 300 miles next weekend so if you think I’m in the iffy zone I’d just as soon change it.

Dan

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links