Towed home Friday night
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Towed home Friday night

This is a discussion on Towed home Friday night within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; History: 2016 rspec with about 2100 miles. Ran great all summer. Did hundreds of miles in Maine through all types of terrain. In the fall ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Towed home Friday night

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times

Towed home Friday night

History: 2016 rspec with about 2100 miles. Ran great all summer. Did hundreds of miles in Maine through all types of terrain. In the fall it started sputtering and I noticed I kept getting water in the air box (twice) I discovered it was from washing with a garden hose due to the lid not on correctly. I have not touched the air filter since it got wet. Drove the machine on Sunday and it ran great. My brother in-law took it out on Tuesday and it ran fine. Friday night it started running fine then eventually died after a few hours. No water crossings on Friday night. It just would sputter, backfire, and die. Had no power. Could not get above 30 mph at full throttle in high. Eventually it would not move, just stall. Got back to the shop and washed it today. Could not drive it out of the shop again sputter and die. Would only idle for about 3-5 minutes in neautral then die. Removed the bed and most plastics. Getting fuel and the injector sprayed nice. Can only getting to start and run with no air box. I do have a uni filter installed, and it has been all summer. I oiled both layers. Going to clean filter later this week and see what happens. Other suggestions would be nice. The one question I did have was what are the two sensors (one on the right and one on the left) on the throttle body.

Thanks,
    Jim
    2016 R-spec eps
    3500 lbs Superwinch
    KFI mounting plate
    20" light bar
    2 Pillar mount Rigid dully d2s
    2" Super atv lift
    Super atv flip up windshield
    27” Tusk Terrabites
    Yeti cooler copy
    Beer

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Spark plug is pretty cheap and fairly easy to change.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1999 KX250
    1997 KLR650

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    Might be a sensor needs cleaned or valves have tightened, the valves seem to tighten on them after getting some miles on it seems, check this post:

https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...-stalling.html
    Plumberjim likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    I don't know enough about these machines!! Yet, however if you water cross in deep water the intake breather is somewhere under the passenger seat. Water getting in or plugged would cause a problem Vapour lock because it can't breath is a longer shot but break the gas cap loose a if there is suction then the breather is plugged for sure. I don't believe these have a one way valve on the breather otherwise we wouldn't be smelling gas from the tank when driving. I'd put a gas line filter in the air hose for the tank myself to keep dust out of it. Is the fuel relay cycling, pressurizing the fuel?

I alway approach the easy stuff first.

Good luck
    Plumberjim likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Just to add to the above comment about spark plugs. I’ve preached it for years to always start with new plugs. So often they are the culprit for unexpected or questionable no starts. They are usually the fastest and cheapest 1st step to troubleshooting the issue. Not saying you haven’t already done it or that you need to be told. More or less posting for anyone who might read and hadn’t thought of it.
    erik, atkbike, Plumberjim and 1 others like this.
    19’ Wolverine X2, White on Black (stickers went bye bye on day 1)
    • 31” Skinny Laws on CanAm Renny XMR bead locks
    • Super ATV 4” Portals

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    The NGK Spark Plug is about $3 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. For that price every time I take my bed off for anything, a new spark plug gets installed, doesn't matter if the spark plug was replaced 300 miles ago or 800 miles; bed off - new plug.

After 2 1/2 years, I still go off on a rant about the engineer that designed the Gen. 1, 708 and the manager that approved the design where you have to jump through hoops for routine maintenance items like greasing the rear lower a-arm grease fittings and having to take the bed off to change the plug.
    atkbike and Plumberjim like this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge
    100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x,
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn,
    Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Have you ever had the pleasure of changing the front spark plug on a renegade 1000? The level of stupid in that design knows no equal.
    MNDirtRider likes this.
    19’ Wolverine X2, White on Black (stickers went bye bye on day 1)
    • 31” Skinny Laws on CanAm Renny XMR bead locks
    • Super ATV 4” Portals

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    i would do a compression check if possible
    Plumberjim likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    The NGK Spark Plug is about $3 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. For that price every time I take my bed off for anything, a new spark plug gets installed, doesn't matter if the spark plug was replaced 300 miles ago or 800 miles; bed off - new plug.

After 2 1/2 years, I still go off on a rant about the engineer that designed the Gen. 1, 708 and the manager that approved the design where you have to jump through hoops for routine maintenance items like greasing the rear lower a-arm grease fittings and having to take the bed off to change the plug.
    Don't leave out the front driveshaft u-joint under the airbox that takes the stars aligning with a little hole in the skid plate. STUPID! Just sharing your rant and thinking about modifying my skid plate so I can do my basic needed periodic maintenance without unit disassembly. I have little confidence that those who can't do their own and take it to the dealer, get it done till it breaks.
    Plumberjim likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, OEM stickguards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    OP- if you think moisture is the issue disrupting the electric signals, then WD 40 is a good Water Displacer and is what it was designed for if what I heard was correct, (as it is not much for lubrication imho). Check your cable connections at the coil and any other connection block that could take on water.
    Plumberjim likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, OEM stickguards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links