20 Hour Initial Maintenance
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on 20 Hour Initial Maintenance within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Do most people take their bikes to the dealers for their maintenance plans or is it easy enough to do at home? Most of the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 20 Hour Initial Maintenance

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Do most people take their bikes to the dealers for their maintenance plans or is it easy enough to do at home? Most of the time I would say the dealer for sure but with only a 6 month warranty I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money or not.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    239 times
    It really depends on the dealer in my opinion. My dealer in Roseville, CA is outstanding and I took mine in for this service. There are many dealers that have screwed over others on this forum, though.

2016 Blue R Spec
    Perfex 2" lift kit
    Custom switch panel
    Warn 3000 Vantage winch
    Blue LED rock lights
    20" dual LED roof light bar
    Over fenders
    LED strip interior lights
    Hunterworks mapped Power Commander V
    AIS block-off plate
    Yamaha rear grab bar
    Pyle Bluetooth color stereo
    Boss Marine waketower speakers
    SuperATV full folding windshield
    Seizmik mirrors
    Yamaha rear window
    STI 14" x 7" HD3 gloss black wheels 5+2 offset
    STI 27" X10" X 14" Outback Max tires

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I had a pretty terrible experience with mine here in Morgantown, WV so I am trying to decide to give them any more business, drive to the next town, or just do it at home.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mounties77 View Post
    Do most people take their bikes to the dealers for their maintenance plans or is it easy enough to do at home? Most of the time I would say the dealer for sure but with only a 6 month warranty I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money or not.
    It depends. Are you out of warranty? You can get a YES warranty for less than $800. The 20 hour service is easy to do yourself if you have some mechanical skills. Whatever you decided keep all the receipts. You may want to sign up for the yamalube advantage free warranty before the first oil change.
    http://yamalubeadvantage.com/

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    knowing what I now now, get the extended warrenty if you can afford it or intend to leave the machine stock. if you plan big modifications then just do the check at home. I took my machine to the dealer and theres no possible way they did everything they are supposed to do but still charged an un Godly amount of money. I too feared the warrenty but I opted to not buy an extended warrenty because I wanted to add a PCV and Clutch and tires so I figured at that point they wont cover much anyway.
    2016 green R-Spec, oem folding front shield , front and rear lighting, 27x9 & 27x11 Kenda Bearclaw HTR, Warn 4500 Provantage, KFI plow set up, Custom bash plate, Hunterworks PCV and AIS blockoff, Hunterworks exhaust tip (modified with partial stock baffle)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    747 times
    My feelings on the subject: many dealers have useless service departments who don’t really do the full inspections. I say skip the dealer if you can and learn as much as you can about your machine. If you do a few mods you can learn a lot very quickly. It’s just like legos. Ha!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Abell34, Doc T and atkbike like this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    You will juiced out here by dealers. I had dealer replace a rubber on my bike and I normally mount myself, but had them do it since dismounting/mounting a tire in the parking was frowned upon. I got the bike back and the rear axle bolt was loose, only thing keep tire on was the chain. Glad I checked it before I rode off. Never again. I just bought the service manual online for the X4 and I am able to get Yamalube at cost (not much of markup anyways). Plus, you learn your machine a little and may help you in the bush and sense of accomplishment. +1 on doing it yourself.
    650pilot likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Just read through the manual.
    The 20hr is just an oil change, transmission fluid change, and rear diff fluid change. The rest of the items are simple checks that, quick frankly, most deals will barely spend 1 minute on each (which to be fair is probably all that's needed at 20hrs).

The fluid changes are definitely more involved (3 drain plugs for oil, removing passenger seat and rear inner fender for transmission), but I doubt they'd take an average person more than 2 hours.

Figure what your time is worth.... but 2 hours in the garage is much more enjoyable to me than the hassle of trailering to the dealer and back. Not to mention the few hundred dollars you'll save.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thejrod View Post
    Just read through the manual.
    The 20hr is just an oil change, transmission fluid change, and rear diff fluid change. The rest of the items are simple checks that, quick frankly, most deals will barely spend 1 minute on each (which to be fair is probably all that's needed at 20hrs).

The fluid changes are definitely more involved (3 drain plugs for oil, removing passenger seat and rear inner fender for transmission), but I doubt they'd take an average person more than 2 hours.

Figure what your time is worth.... but 2 hours in the garage is much more enjoyable to me than the hassle of trailering to the dealer and back. Not to mention the few hundred dollars you'll save.
    The other thing that is supposed to be checked is the valve clearance, at least it is on the R Spec. That is the one that takes the time to remove the bed.

2016 Blue R Spec
    Perfex 2" lift kit
    Custom switch panel
    Warn 3000 Vantage winch
    Blue LED rock lights
    20" dual LED roof light bar
    Over fenders
    LED strip interior lights
    Hunterworks mapped Power Commander V
    AIS block-off plate
    Yamaha rear grab bar
    Pyle Bluetooth color stereo
    Boss Marine waketower speakers
    SuperATV full folding windshield
    Seizmik mirrors
    Yamaha rear window
    STI 14" x 7" HD3 gloss black wheels 5+2 offset
    STI 27" X10" X 14" Outback Max tires

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    the new x4 valves are much simpler to access thx to engine location , looks to be a quick job

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links