Is the 708 cc enough?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Is the 708 cc enough?

This is a discussion on Is the 708 cc enough? within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Greetings all. I am in the market for a side by side, I currently have a Kawasaki Brute Force (it is my 3rd Brute) and ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Is the 708 cc enough?

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Is the 708 cc enough?

Greetings all.

I am in the market for a side by side, I currently have a Kawasaki Brute Force (it is my 3rd Brute) and have been riding ATV's ever since they were called ATC,s (and only had 3 wheels) back in the 80s.

I have shopped extensively and sat in just about every SXS out there. The Wolverine fits me like a glove. I am 6'1" 220 and no other SXS is as comfortable to me as the Wolverine. I tried the X4 and my legs were cramped.

As stated in the title, Is the 708cc enough? The type of riding I do is real easy to describe. The group I ride with generally go to 2 different areas. We go up to Bingham Maine and ride the logging roads around that area. Pretty straight forward, some light hills but mainly logging roads. I am confident the Wolverine could do that all day.

The other area we go to is the Hatfield Mccoy Trails in WV. We go for 6 or 7 days and ride from sun up to sun down. Now this is the area that has me concerned. Will the Wolverine carry me up the hills and mountains at speed ( not flying but maintaining a steady rate).

We are all in our 50s and 60s and as such we are not drag racing, rock crawling or Mud bogging. Just looking to not be "That Guy" that everyone has to wait for while climbing some of the trails.

I can afford the X4 or any Polaris or Can Am but I don't want to have to pay those prices if the Wolverine will do what I need. I don't want or need the biggest and badest machine on the trail. I just want something comfortable and reliable so that it carries me back out of the woods.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but since I have not taken one for a test drive yet I thought I would put this question out to you guys and girls. After all,you have one and are fully aware of the capabilities.

Thanking you in advance for any help or guidance you could give.

Vic.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Im in the 220 lb range and have rode all over the area down in the Hatfield and Mcoy country including the outlaw trails and never have had a problem. I think the Wolverine is one of the more capable machines for those trails I ride. My dad has the Teryx and in a lot of spots it is a tight ride for him, meaning steering and turning. I think the machine has enough power for any trail there. Would a bigger motor be nice sure, I went through the same machine choices as you did and in my mind I hit the target dead center with my choice. Good luck in your decision process.
    Last edited by Stingray; 04-10-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    MORSNO and atkbike like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I did a lot of research and stewed on it for a long time, but I don't regret my choice of the wolverine, I have found the 708cc motor to be just fine. It carries my wife and I quite well up steep rocky hills with out a hiccup, and neither of us is skinny anymore. Acceleration is snappy when you stand on it. The ride is very comfortable. It won't keep up with all the high performance machines when speed is the goal, but for an average trail rider it is more than adequate. The only issue I have had with mine is a hole poked through the stock tire (2 ply Bighorn 2.0). Otherwise I just keep the fluids and filters clean and topped off. The only regret I DO have is that I don't get to ride it nearly as much as I would like to. I hope this helps.
    Atcdan13 and MORSNO like this.
    Keep the rubber side down!

2016 Wolverine R Spec EPS Green
    Yamaha Over Fenders
    Yamaha Half Windshield
    Wally World Bed Box
    Homemade Front and Rear Mud Flaps
    Homemade Upper Windshield
    Homemade Half Dust Screen (rear)
    Coleman ATV Mirror

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    I’m 6’5” 290. I often have people riding as my passenger.one of whom is 6’6” 300. I have not found any hill I could not climb with the two of us in the machine. I second the comment about the wolvy fitting almost everywhere. My brother in law has a teryx. His cage is much bigger and he has a hard time on off camber tight areas that I sail through. The wolvy may not be the fastest in a straight line but I’ve never lagged behind anyone in the woods.
    MORSNO, Hoene and Jraoffroad like this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    im on the upper side of 280 and my wife rides with me a lot but shes not very big at all. I also throw in a 50lbsish tool cooler in the back and I can keep up with and occasionally outperform my buddies commander 800 no sweat up to about 35ish mph range. beyond that the wolverine just cant hang. but 35mph trail riding is moving along pretty good in the tight trails we have and at the hatfield mccoy trails we were at recently you really cant go any faster than that or you run the risk of hitting someone coming the other way. below 35ish the wolverine is a blast, its easy to break the tires loose and slide it around and climbing steep stuff has never been an issue either. im not saying you cant ride the wolverine fast im just saying it doesn't get up to high speeds like the big twin machines. I think its a very balanced machine both in the layout and power delivery for tighter or technical type riding. Plus I use mine for a lot of work around the properties and the low end grunt is much more useable than a race machine. one of the best features of the machine is not roasting in the summer. That 800 commander I ride with is an absolute boiler in the summer.
    Atcdan13, MORSNO, Hoene and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    694 times
    I also came from a V twin Kawi, an 02 Prairie. The wolverine is no where near as snappy. It has less power and twice the weight. It gives up about 20 mph up top.

That said I have zero regrets with the Yamaha. At speeds less then 45 it has plenty of power. On level ground it's faster than the Teryx that has the Kawi twin, rides better, is more comfortable and more capable.
    In tight trails it's as fast or faster then anything else. I ride with YXZ's, a Teryx and Polaris Highlifter 1000's most the time and never feel I need more power on the trails. Even on the road there aren't many places in the east they can open it up long enough to get to far away. They all top out within 15-20 MPH of each other, the 1000's just get there quicker.
    MORSNO, Hoene and atkbike like this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I think most on this forum could afford any sxs on the market. Yamaha has an excellent reputation and that is the reason I and many others went with this brand. as for the 708 engine it is more than adequate and has taken me almost everywhere I have tried to go. It probably isn't going to beat most RZRs in a drag race but will stay with them on the trails. I love mine and think you will love it also. You will also get to enjoy the best forum on the net.
    Atcdan13, MORSNO and atkbike like this.
    2016 R Spec Eps Special Edition, Half Windshield, Warn Pro Vantage 3000 ,Yamaha rear grab bar, Yamaha front grab bar, Yamaha cargo box. Garmin Nuvi GPS, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Seizmik center mirror, Battery Tender, Quad Gear Grips, 2 Great Day gun racks, 2" Perfex lift, Concours Dash Panel...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    For what you describe, I believe the Wolv will suit you just fine. If you worry about staying with your buddies because of the difference in the higher-powered units, (no disrespect intended) but I would submit the thought you might need new buddies lol. We have a 400 Honda, solid rear axle 4 wheeler in our group and don't ever think about riding without him. $.02
    Atcdan13, MORSNO, Hoene and 1 others like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    I second the forum support for this machine is fantastic. ive lurked on a few different forums for machines I considered buying and I cant stand the insulting negative nature of the members. I check this sight nearly every day and ive found a ton of applicable advice.
    Atcdan13, MORSNO, Hoene and 2 others like this.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I am glad to hear all the positive thoughts on the Wolverine. I thought it may perform well and you guys have confirmed that. This makes my decision process so much easier as now I just need to find the best deal on a Wolverine.

The group I ride with is a mix of ATV's and SXS. We attend Trailfest in Gilbert WV each year and have watched the mix turn from mostly ATV's to this past year the SXS's outnumbered the ATV's. A few of us are looking to make the switch and the Yamaha Wolverine is on the top of the list for many reasons, but the main one was reliability.

I look forward to the advice and knowledge I could gain on this site.

Vic.
    MORSNO, Hoene, atkbike and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links