Is the 708 cc enough? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Is the 708 cc enough?

This is a discussion on Is the 708 cc enough? within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I tend to think than any modification you can think of has been done by at least a few people on this site too. It’s ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Is the 708 cc enough?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    874 times
    I tend to think than any modification you can think of has been done by at least a few people on this site too. It’s an amazing group of very smart and friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by p399 View Post
    I am glad to hear all the positive thoughts on the Wolverine. I thought it may perform well and you guys have confirmed that. This makes my decision process so much easier as now I just need to find the best deal on a Wolverine.

The group I ride with is a mix of ATV's and SXS. We attend Trailfest in Gilbert WV each year and have watched the mix turn from mostly ATV's to this past year the SXS's outnumbered the ATV's. A few of us are looking to make the switch and the Yamaha Wolverine is on the top of the list for many reasons, but the main one was reliability.

I look forward to the advice and knowledge I could gain on this site.

Vic.
    Hoene and atkbike like this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1888 times
    With all the pro's and con's listed, I think you'll find the Wolverine is pretty well liked by most owners, especially us big guys (6'3" 250lbs). We are also an older group of guys on here and can relate to your wants and needs. The Wolverine isn't a 1,000cc desert race machine, but it is one heck of a dependable, go just about anywhere, trail machine. The fuel economy is another huge bonus that I discovered, I have yet to need to add gas while on the trail even though I always have 2-1/2 gallon can in the rear.
    Hoene and atkbike like this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE (Sold)
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Gear Grinder
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    My RSpec SE is my first SxS. I’ve rode Hondas and Polaris ATVs my whole life and was riding a Sportsman 850 before the Wolverine. I have no problem admitting that I miss the V twin power of my 850 but the Wolverine was the right decision. Plenty of power where I need it most. It’s very comfortable to ride and drive. I can out perform most SxS on tight, muddy trails. And you can not beat the reliability of Yamaha.

Now that you’ve got our “unbiased” opinions, pull the trigger and get a X2!
    MORSNO and Snake2715 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    I'm about exactly the same size as you are and I'm with you - the Wolverine just fits me. I rented one for a few hours in the Black Hills and fell in love with it. It's got plenty of power for the riding I do. The power steering is great, the handling is very good, the stock clutching is smoother than others I have driven, and the ride quality is absolutely outstanding in my opinion. I have never ended up riding with people that dropped me and I'm not a high speed guy myself either. Our trails here in MN are not set up for anything over 25-35 mph tops. The trails and roads I ride in IA aren't much different. So in my opinion, the riders out there with 1000cc's and 80+ mph top speed are paying a lot of money for their fun. I know there are times when they get to have it with all that power too. My point is, I feel I can have just as much fun on our trails with my little 708. I'm happy and I still have money in the bank.
    MORSNO and atkbike like this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS
    Superwinch Terra 4500 Synthetic
    KFI Winch Plate
    STI HD3 wheels with 27" CST Clinchers
    Super ATV Flip Windshield
    YXZ Steering Wheel
    Yamaha Rear Window
    Yamaha Accessory Mount Bar
    Sirius Pro 20" light bar
    Auxbeam a-pillar & rear work lights
    Blue Sea Fuse Block
    Rad guards
    Perfex Lift

2012 Grizzly 700 EPS
    2006 Grizzly 660 SE
    2005 Grizzly 80

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1145 times
    I also need to add that the Wolverine or Viking was not even considered when I started looking for a SXS last summer just because of the single. I was looking at the Pioneer 1000, Teryx and Mule Pro FX (FXR was still just a rumor). These were the only machines I felt were worth the asking price. The high end SXS have price tags that are above what I can build or even buy a completed crawler/trail rig/buggy thats way more capable and street legal. The P1000 clutch problems took it out of the running. The P1000 would have perfect had it had a lower low range and stronger clutches. My riding would have killed fast as what they were telling owners not to do is what I do for fun. The FX dont have a front diff lock, and I couldn't find any aftermarket help at the time. I had experience with the Teryx. I went to look at an FX and they are huge, but they also had a Wolvy and I liked it.

Started doing some research, found some pretty impressive videos and great deal on a left over 2016. Thats how I ended up with the R spec. I really think the x4 engine in an R spec chassis, 30's, long travel kit and at least 16" belly would be perfect.

The 3 video's that sold me on the R spec.

Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage
    TRADED IN

2020 KRX 1000 White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    311 times
    I had three adults and two dead boar hogs in my x2 totalling around 950 lbs. and we had no problems whatsoever going up and down the mountains back to camp, even in high gear. It is a stout 708cc engine. I've never heard anyone describe the Wolverine as sluggish or lacking power.
    2020 X2 XT-R, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine EPS w/26" Sedona RipSaws (Sold).

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    That second video is insane.
    JOCKEYBOX likes this.
    Battle Creek, Owyhee County, Idaho is my playground!

Sold 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec and bought...

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE Tactical Black
    Warn ProVantage 3500 winch
    SuperATV Foldout Windhshield
    Yamaha OEM Light Bar (roof mount)
    Yamaha OEM Heater w/ducting @ 4 seat positions
    Yamaha OEM Rock Sliders
    Yamaha OEM A-Arm Guards (front/rear)
    Yamaha OEM Rear Bumper
    Yamaha OEM Cargo Box
    Yamaha OEM Rear Windshield (soft)
    Seizmik Side Mirror

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I came out of a RZR (Too much wrench turning) into a Wolverine.
    I rode all over the mountains of Utah in 2016 with a new wolvey, and it went everywhere we wanted to go up to 10k feet and more.
    I was in a RZR at the time.
    That made up my mind.

Myself and many more ride the Hatfield/McCoy system regularly and have logged many miles on all the trails.
    Best machine I have owned.
    Its a Mountain Goat....

KB
    2016 R-Spec / Alpine White EPS
    Kenda Bearclaws HTR 27/12's
    Viper Winch / Rear Bumper
    Box-Windshield- Flares
    and....a rusty trailer hitch ball

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    I have had my wolverine for a year now and could not be happier. I Spent a week on the HM system/outlaws last fall and the wolverine surprised me every day. The 708 is plenty strong for for trail riding and mud. I run 27 inch xtr's with no clutch work and have never needed more power to turn them in deep mud. More power would be nice but not needed. It climbs like a goat and is unbelievably stable on rutted out tree root exposed hills. I will go up many trails on the wolverine that i will not try on my Brute Force. Go test ride one and you will be sold. I almost bought a general deluxe for $8,000 more but after driving the wolverine I changed my mind in an instant. Yamaha is very slow to bring out new machines, but when they do they are built extremely well.
    MNDirtRider likes this.
    2016 R Spec Special Edition.
    Yamaha folding windshield, EMP rear glass, 26 inch Original BigHorns on stock beadlocks, 26.5 inch Terminators on 14 inch STI rims, Assault ATV rearview mirror, 3500lb Yamaha winch with synthetic rope, custom switch panel, led cab lights, 20 inch light bar, back up light, Bazooka Party Bar Bluetooth Radio, yamaha storage box, TGM full doors, Perfex lift kit.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmanrx View Post
    I will go up many trails on the wolverine that i will not try on my Brute Force.
    THIS is what I discovered when I rented one. I couldn't believe what it would climb and I still felt safe compared to my Griz.
    MORSNO, mudmanrx and Mad Dog_037 like this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS
    Superwinch Terra 4500 Synthetic
    KFI Winch Plate
    STI HD3 wheels with 27" CST Clinchers
    Super ATV Flip Windshield
    YXZ Steering Wheel
    Yamaha Rear Window
    Yamaha Accessory Mount Bar
    Sirius Pro 20" light bar
    Auxbeam a-pillar & rear work lights
    Blue Sea Fuse Block
    Rad guards