ais blockoff plate - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

ais blockoff plate

This is a discussion on ais blockoff plate within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by ErikTheRed Todd, I just placed my order for the PCV (finally). I'll block off the AIS using one of the several "redneck" ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: ais blockoff plate

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTheRed View Post
    Todd, I just placed my order for the PCV (finally). I'll block off the AIS using one of the several "redneck" methods mentioned on this thread, seems like any one of them will do exactly the same thing as the little plate to block the AIS. As for the exhause tip, since yours looks to remove the entire spark arrester unit (and thus increasing the overall exhaust volume level), I think I'll attempt a fab of my own that keeps the arrester in place but gives a throatier exhaust note (if such a thing can be accomplished, a topic for another thread.)
    The tip comes with a spark arrestor screen
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
    The tip comes with a spark arrestor screen
    Sure, but that arrester unit in the muffler has got to be doing something to keep the db's down. Just a screen would let an aweful lot of sound get by unabated. I want a deeper, throatier sound, not necessarily a louder one. These damn machines make enough racket already-- nearly impossible to have a conversation in the cab without yelling at each other. With helmets on foggeddaboutit.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    487 times
    Sure, but that arrester unit in the muffler has got to be doing something to keep the db's down. Just a screen would let an aweful lot of sound get by unabated. I want a deeper, throatier sound, not necessarily a louder one. These damn machines make enough racket already-- nearly impossible to have a conversation in the cab without yelling at each other. With helmets on foggeddaboutit.
    Then don't buy a tip, it is loud. You can't really have it both. ways, the HMF exhaust is not so loud and it really helps on the back pressure and runs cooler.
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Yeah, did not make sense to me reading his quest. Troatier will mean louder. LOL

I have a 750 KIngquad and had a 700 as well. Both are very quiet with their stock stainless steel mufflers. If they could be adapted it should make a difference. I don't know why Yamaha employed such a low end solution, both in appearance and sound for us to drive around with. I find its quieter if I am not too hard on the trottle and crusing at nominal load. But not quiet enough. I was working on checking my air filter and started the machine with the storage bin out and moved it. Its not noisier with it out so sound proofing it wouldn't do anything. Its coming from the rear and/or exhaust I expect. CVT seems to make various odd sounds which I am told is normal all adding the the clanking orchestra on the trail.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    According to the dudes on that "exhaust tip with spark arrestor" thread, it sounds like I could have it both ways. Sorta. Those fellers have done the mod leaving the stock arrestor in place and hacking out the center and adding a larger pipe. Apparently this accomplishes kinda what I was looking to do, which is get rid of the pfffft pfffft pfffft sissy exhaust sound create a beefier tone without adding an obnoxious amount of extra volume.

Todd- would LOVE a full HMF exhaust system but its just not in the cards right now. (and by cards I mean bank account.) ;-)

Today I removed the bed using info from Todd's "how to" tech video, came off just like he says. The only thing I initially missed was that little plastic screw pin right behind the center console lid. Once that was out and the tail light wires unplugged, the bed slid right off. Hope it goes back on just as easy, but I doubt it. LOL

I blocked the AIS with the yellow wire nut trick but I did wrap some electrical tape around the nut to make it just slightly fatter. I didn't like the loose fit of the wire nut in the hose, I wanted it to be good and snug in there. Adding the extra diameter with the electrical tape was perfect-- a little WD40 and pushed it in with a screwdriver. That sucker ain't goin nowhere.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    According to the dudes on that "exhaust tip with spark arrestor" thread, it sounds like I could have it both ways. Sorta. Those fellers have done the mod leaving the stock arrestor in place and hacking out the center and adding a larger pipe. Apparently this accomplishes kinda what I was looking to do, which is get rid of the pfffft pfffft pfffft sissy exhaust sound create a beefier tone without adding an obnoxious amount of extra volume.
    I thought that’s what you were looking for. I ran mine without the stock arrester and it was intolerable but after moding the spark arrester and putting 1/2 back in its about right. You could use the original flange for the tip and weld on a bigger elbow as others did in similar threads.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Did you fab the ais block off plate yourself or order it?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    And for the arrester, I grinder the welds on the back plate, taking it off, which has helped quit a bit. I’m also going to finish grinding the welds to the screen and shorten the inside length of it.

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times

I blocked the AIS with the yellow wire nut trick but I did wrap some electrical tape around the nut to make it just slightly fatter. I didn't like the loose fit of the wire nut in the hose, I wanted it to be good and snug in there. Adding the extra diameter with the electrical tape was perfect-- a little WD40 and pushed it in with a screwdriver. That sucker ain't goin nowhere.
    Must be a southern mod. "Yellow Wire Nut Trick" I have no clue what you've done short of plugging hose at some point along its route. Isn't it still very hot inside the hose.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    Must be a southern mod. "Yellow Wire Nut Trick" I have no clue what you've done short of plugging hose at some point along its route. Isn't it still very hot inside the hose.
    The part is 25.00 with free shipping from Hunterworks. I don't know why someone wouldn't just order it.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2019 Yamaha Windshield
    2019 Emp Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv Rear Window.
    2019 Yamaha Roof