ais blockoff plate - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

ais blockoff plate

This is a discussion on ais blockoff plate within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Not accurate, we made maps without the stock system and with a HMF and the engine does run very lean and the fuel does need ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: ais blockoff plate

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    Not accurate, we made maps without the stock system and with a HMF and the engine does run very lean and the fuel does need to be fixed plus have 100's of these out and lots of success stories with cooler everything.
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    It probably would be lean if you uncorked the exhaust system with a freer flowing system. I don't doubt it is lean period. My point was it being lean is not why there is so much heat in the back of these machines. It is because they use a exhaust system with air injection and a catalytic converter as part of the emission system and they are going to make heat trying to burn off raw fuel the engine is emitting.

Not really even saying the engine is lean or rich but the pipe is glowing because air is being introduced into a fuel rich exhaust stream and making the temperature spike because that is what it was designed to do cook off fuel because the cat is not capable of burning that much fuel out of the exhaust. So you take away the air and dump more fuel the cat will be taxed heavily. If your going to do that IMO the cat should also be removed for several reasons.
    It is unlikely that if you remove air injection and add fuel for it not have detrimental effects on the cat.

Using a catalytic converter and taking away the air and adding more fuel also it would not be possible for the cat itself it run cooler. It is what it does burn off un burnt fuel and the more fuel it is burning off is always going to make it hotter. Not saying that the pipe not getting so hot couldn't still make overall temps under there lower I don't know but my point is
    you are likely going to have problems at some point as it is not possible to take the air away from the design and load it with fuel without the possibility of catalytic meltdown.
    Possible even the muffler housing not getting tremendously hotter because the core is no where near the external wall but the core of the cat is going to be considerably hotter.

Just saying if you are going to defeat the air injection and add fuel then it would be logical that the cat needs to go also. If you remove major design component from the emission system then the job should be completed by removing all parts of the system especially when those parts are part of what allow the others to function long term.
    Last edited by danielplace1962; 03-06-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    That does make sense but we have been doing this for 2 1/2 years and none of that has happened. However if anyone wants to remove their stock exhaust and buy the HMF also I am all for it!!! LOL
    MORSNO likes this.
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Also, based on some internet searches, it appears folks have been blocking off their AIS systems on street cycles, racing cycles and other machines for much longer than 2.5 years and there do not seem do be any real issues that have surfaced.
    Hunterworks and MORSNO like this.
    Battle Creek, Owyhee County, Idaho is my playground!

Sold 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec and bought...

2019 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE Tactical Black
    Warn ProVantage 3500 winch
    SuperATV Foldout Windhshield
    Yamaha OEM Light Bar (roof mount)
    Yamaha OEM Heater w/ducting @ 4 seat positions
    Yamaha OEM Rock Sliders
    Yamaha OEM A-Arm Guards (front/rear)
    Yamaha OEM Rear Bumper
    Yamaha OEM Cargo Box
    Yamaha OEM Rear Windshield (soft)
    Seizmik Side Mirror

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Idantelope View Post
    Also, based on some internet searches, it appears folks have been blocking off their AIS systems on street cycles, racing cycles and other machines for much longer than 2.5 years and there do not seem do be any real issues that have surfaced.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most likely those same people have also replaced their factory exhaust with a non-cat, aftermarket exhaust. I did.
    R2V2 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most likely those same people have also replaced their factory exhaust with a non-cat, aftermarket exhaust. I did.
    Not on the wolverine, have sold 100's of PCV but less than 10 exhausts
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Todd,
    I didn't mean to make it sound like it was going to inevitably damage the Cat because as you have said you have sold many of the tuners and 99.9% are still using stock exhaust and there have been no issues.

My point was that the headpipe glowing is not a result of the engine running lean as is often portrayed or assumed to be the case. It is only the air injection burning up some fuel and creating some heat. Not good under the plastic bed for sure.

It is well known though that if the air is removed and the engine fattened up the Catalytic converter will get hotter burning off the extra fuel. Evidently the heat still less overall because the headpipe temps were source of much of the high heat. The core of the catalytic honeycomb is well within the mufflers outer body so much of the heat developed thankfully goes out the tailpipe instead of making the muffler glow hot. Being a off road vehicle that would be bad.

I am going to get one of your controllers but will likely make my own exhaust system so it can still be pretty quiet but not incorporate a cat. I have never been one to jet carbs lean so I surely don't want the injection system doing it.
    Last edited by danielplace1962; 03-07-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    Most say after the AIS block off and the PCV their pipes do not glow like they did

However, on the dyno on a different machine I have seen the pipe be cherry red from head to muffler and the air/fuel ratio perfect, no air and thin stainless will make it red

Slow movers in the Wolverine will see some red after the PCV and that is because not much air flow.

Again, your statements sound plausible but just not what we are seeing in practice.

It is a fact a lean engine does make an exhaust hot.

I have had a saying, a lean engines exhaust is red but a red exhaust is not always because it is lean

In the wolverine they run them very lean, we have had to add as much as 22% more fuel in some areas to get the air/fuel ratio to normal numbers in the 12.5 to 13 range
    Todd Eldridge
    Hunterworks Inc
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    IMO, kinda like a cutting torch, get it burning and then add extra air and get it real hot. The real hot and excess air aids in converting and destroying any remaining products of combustion. Great for the environment but the extra heat is not good on the materials and I can't imagine that the potential of starting a grass/wildland fire would be real good for the environment either.
    "When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty." “Veni, Vedi, Vici”

2016 Wolverine R-Spec,
    Warn 3500 Provantage Winch/KFI winch mount
    Yamaha Folding windshield
    Yamaha Overfenders
    Power Commander V with AIS blocked off
    Ryco Motorsports Turn Signal Horn Kit
    OxGord side mirrors
    01 Raptor, 86 TRX250R, 98 300EX, 01 250EX , 94 LT160, 09 JD 2520 & 2012 KX121-3 & 12 battery tenders!

Puddle Jumper
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Oh yea thin wall stainless header pipe is going to get some color when it is not in the full airstream like they are tucked up under a Wolverine. Not moving on a wheel dyno would really let it warm up.
    Mine is a SE with the full aluminum skid pan so there is a lot of airflow that it doesn't have and it gets plenty hot under there.
    No doubt both blocking the air and adding fuel is going to cool the head pipe down considerably. It is like lighting the oxy-acetylene torch and turning the oxygen on when air is injected into the exhaust stream at the exhaust port.

I build high end R/C race boats so definitely have learned that dealing with venting exhaust heat out of the hull is part of the challenge. Two complete exhaust systems mostly inside the hull gets some heat buildup especially on the twins.

TGM Off-Road and FiremanDan like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links