Wheels "locked" up - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Wheels "locked" up

This is a discussion on Wheels "locked" up within the Wolverine General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Originally Posted by CDNinSK So to confirm how this happens raggdoll, you set the parking brake when you parked it for the night. Then the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wheels "locked" up

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNinSK View Post
    So to confirm how this happens raggdoll, you set the parking brake when you parked it for the night. Then the next morning you released the parking brake but the brakes were all locked up? Is that correct? Will be interested to know what failed inside the master cylinder.
    The parking brake truthfully has nothing to do with it. It was merely a coincidence. The parking brake is a wet disc setup in the rear diff. It has no interconnection to the hydraulic braking system. I am sorry if my comment made it seem like it was related.

The master cylinder can fail in a few ways, but likely since it was a brand new machine, there is a defective piston seal being installed in these units. What usually happens is you push the pedal hard, and the piston seal is improperly sized, or shaped, or to stiff of a compound, etc. and it binds up on the return stroke when you let off the pedal. This keeps pressure applied to brake lines, and in turn, the pistons in the calipers.

Now, if the machine had some hours on it, there is a possibility, (and this is uncommon, but still possible) that the piston seal began wearing into the cylinder wall over time and normal use. Then, the brake pedal was pushed harder than normal and the piston seal now travels past the "lip" created by its normal wear pattern. This can sometimes cause it to get stuck and not return. More commonly though, this damages the seal and the master cylinder will need rebuilt or replaced because you will forever have a mushy pedal.

Regardless, the fact that it has happened on more than one machine, both with low hours and miles, tells me there is a defect somewhere. It could be material, size, etc., but it needs addressed by Yamaha.

EDIT: I see while I was typing this raggdoll has confirmed he never set the parking brake.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times

Here is a picture of a basic master cylinder assembly so you can get a better idea what I am talking about.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FordTruckMan View Post

Here is a picture of a basic master cylinder assembly so you can get a better idea what I am talking about.
    Oh I completely understand how a master cylinder works but thanks for the explanation anyway. It will be very interesting since as you say this does not seem to be an isolated incident what is causing this and if it is a design flaw or simply some bad material in the seals. I think the OP was using his in cold temps and then parked it overnight in a heated shop, I wonder if this has anything to do with it, somehow creating a hydraulic lock with the temp change. Can I assume that the Viking uses the same master cylinder? Any problems with it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    374 times
    I'm wondering if this is what happened to mine last winter. Had one time when it would start and run fine, but as soon as you put it in gear it would lunge and die. Both forward and reverse.

Now I can't remember if I pumped the brakes or not, but after a few times it moved. I assumed it was a clutch issue, but didn't really find anything when I tore it apart

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    You can't put a price tag on fun!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Here is the master cylinder part number and the list of vehicles it is used on currently. This makes me wonder...maybe a not a compound issue, maybe just 1 out of every 1,000 seals wasn't formed right or something. Hmmmmm.....
    PapaSkeeta likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    558 times
    The link "Here" would not open correctly for me; but it does look like the same Master Cylinder is used on all Vikings 2015 - 2017 and all Wolverines from 2016 - 2017.

It must be somewhat rare for it to happen with it on so many Vikings and Wolverines and so few reports of the brakes locking up. Anything "brake" related could be a serious Safety Issue. A lock-up of the brakes at the wrong time while riding could create a serious situation, unless it will only happen after coming to a complete stop and then trying to start moving again. Until someone takes a defective one apart to see what is really happening to the seals and/or piston, we don't really know in what situations "brake lock-up" could occur.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 12-23-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FordTruckMan View Post
    Here is the master cylinder part number and the list of vehicles it is used on currently. This makes me wonder...maybe a not a compound issue, maybe just 1 out of every 1,000 seals wasn't formed right or something. Hmmmmm.....
    For me that link is not working...comes up with Page Not Found. But I assume you mean that same master Cylinder is used on a lot of applications so not something new. Yeah, could just be a bad batch of seals. It would be interesting if the OP gets any kind of report from the dealer when they tear down the old master cyl.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Sorry about that link, it appears their website is problematic. But yes you are correct about the application of models. The part number for the cylinder kit itself is 5UG-25808-00-00 for anyone else.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Well, replaced the master cylinder and that should be the fix!!!

A few gratuitous shots
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    looks like they talked you into a new snow blower while waiting to get your machine fixed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links