Hello from Oak Hills Commiefornia
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Hello from Oak Hills Commiefornia within the Introductions forums, part of the Site News category; Hello all. I currently own a 2006 Yamaha Rhino. I believe it is a 660. It is carberates so starting it can be a pai. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MORSNO
  • 1 Post By Yamahopper
  • 2 Post By Wolvie Hunter

Thread: Hello from Oak Hills Commiefornia

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #

Hello all. I currently own a 2006 Yamaha Rhino. I believe it is a 660. It is carberates so starting it can be a pai. It has served its function well basically used for toting stuff around the yard or dragging a arena rake. Never took it out in the desert. The push button for engaging 4wd stopped working but other than that, it is in good shape. I am ready to upgrade to a Wolverine. I was looking at the pioneer but was turned off by the price, the hard seats, and the high roof line (besides no roof included). I like the entry price of the Wolverines but dislike the blue plastic. Not really sure if the shock upgrade for the R model would matter to me. But the R does have a roof included. Hmmm....

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Welcome SoCal,
    I to was a Rhino owner then upgraded to the Wolverine. either 2019 or 2020 R spec model you can't go wrong, if your Rhino has treated you well over the years the Wolverine will make you happy. It's like going from an F150 Lariat to the F150 Raptor.
    " You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”-Wooderson

2019 X2 Special Edition
    27" Tusk Terrabites
    OEM Folding Windshield
    OEM Soft Rear Window
    KFI 3500 Stealth Winch
    OEM Rear Cargo Box
    Throttle Maxx
    7" LED Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1849 times
    Welcome to the forum SoCal147, I'm sure if you liked your Rhino, you'll love the Wolverine no matter which model you settle on. There are plenty of prior and current Rhino owners on here that can give you direct comparison.
    LJ3 likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Welcome I have a first gen (2016) R Spec that replaced my 2004 rhino and let me tell you it is a day and night difference between them. The shocks are deffinately worth the exra price alone if you do any trail riding with it. I haven't driven or ridden in a second gen but I'm betting they are an even bigger improvement. Good luck with your choise and have fun
    LJ3 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec
    STI HD7 Rims
    Mudlite 27X14 XTR
    Super Atv Flip-Up Windshield
    2" Super Atv Lift Kit
    Concours switch Panel (Blue)
    Warn Vantage 3,000 # Winch
    Jensen Radio
    Boss Audio 34" soundbar
    66" KFI snowplow
    Koplin rear window

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Welcome
    2019 X4 SE!

SuperATV Split Windshield
    Yamaha Rear windshield
    27"X10"X14" GBC Kanati Mongrels on 14"X7" STI Rim Locks
    Street Legal Kit - turn signals - Reverse lights added.
    Boss BRRF46A 1000W overhead sound bar
    Yamaha Rear Brush Guard - w/Reverse Lights
    Yamaha Rock Sliders

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    945 times
    SoCal... your OEM vacuum fuel pump is probably going bad on the Rhino. It is typical in the units with age. A lot will add an outboard motor primer bulb in the line from fuel tank, some use a low pressure electric delivery pump from tank but be careful to not over pressure the carb float as this carb is basically the same as a Grizzly with gravity flow tank supply. But before doing this, go over all rubber fuel lines, checking for cracks or leaky connections and vacuum test them. A small crack or loose joint can lose prime causing your symptoms too. Look at 501parts.com for help on the four wheel drive, they have some good videos and help info.
    If you like the function of the Rhino then look for a X2 Wolverine (dump bed) which will probably serve you better albeit more expensive than a 16-18 Rspec (no dump).
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harn, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies one and all. I will look into the carb soonest.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    866 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    SoCal... your OEM vacuum fuel pump is probably going bad on the Rhino. It is typical in the units with age. A lot will add an outboard motor primer bulb in the line from fuel tank, some use a low pressure electric delivery pump from tank but be careful to not over pressure the carb float as this carb is basically the same as a Grizzly with gravity flow tank supply. But before doing this, go over all rubber fuel lines, checking for cracks or leaky connections and vacuum test them. A small crack or loose joint can lose prime causing your symptoms too. Look at 501parts.com for help on the four wheel drive, they have some good videos and help info.
    If you like the function of the Rhino then look for a X2 Wolverine (dump bed) which will probably serve you better albeit more expensive than a 16-18 Rspec (no dump).
    I had a Rhino, and I now have an X1 Wolverine (Gen 1, LOL), and an X2. I agree with a previous poster that you will absolutely love an X2 if you like your Rhino.

This thread reminded me of something I forgot about. I too added a marine outboard motor primer bulb, and it worked great! Just make sure that if you do this it’s installed with the fuel flowing in the correct direction LOL. It seemed that whenever I let it set for two weeks or more that the fuel would drain back down into the gas tank and it would be very difficult to start. After I installed the primer bulb behind the passenger seat I would pump it a few times and it would start right up.

Good luck!
    Paul65 and LJ3 like this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS, Folding Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn-3000
    Sedona-Storm 14" Wheels, Rip-Saw R/T Radial Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14
    Assault-Center, Seizmik-Side Mirrors
    EMP-Front & Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV-2" Lift Kit
    Rigidhorse-19" LED Bar

2019 R-Spec X2, Folding Windshield, Cargo Box
    Warn-3500, 72” plow
    Interco Sniper 920's-28x10-14 on SB-3 Machined Wheels
    Assault-Center, EMP-Side Mirrors
    24” LED Bar
    JBS-Firewall Shields