The MassiveOverkill method of bleeding your cooling system
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on The MassiveOverkill method of bleeding your cooling system within the X2/X4 How To forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I see a lot of new SxS (obviously more Yamaha's as that's more of what I pay attention to) with air in their cooling systems ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By MassiveOverkill
  • 1 Post By Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Bullseye

Thread: The MassiveOverkill method of bleeding your cooling system

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1372 times

I see a lot of new SxS (obviously more Yamaha's as that's more of what I pay attention to) with air in their cooling systems right off the sales lot. I don't think it's neglect from local service department. I just think there's a better way than just using the provided bleeder screws.

This should literally work for any SxS that doesn't have an aftermarket heater core mounted higher than the radiator

1-fill your coolant overflow reservoir full while the engine is COLD
    2-park your vehicle on a steep incline, open the radiator cap while the engine is COLD and start the engine. (chock your wheels for safety)
    3-top off the coolant at the radiator filler neck and then put the radiator cap back on
    4-run the engine until it's nice and hot, race the engine a little in neutral if you have to. Monitor the coolant overflow to make sure it doesn't expand so much that it starts spitting coolant out.......air is OK, coolant is not (obviously for environmental reasons)
    5-let the engine cool completely down. The cooling system should suck some coolant out of the overflow as it cools down
    6- repeat 1-5 while still on an incline without removing the radiator cap for a couple more cycles or until coolant is no longer sucked out of the overflow reservoir. I leave my final overflow reservoir at about 75 percent to the Hot mark.
    blast, MORSNO, Tsckey and 1 others like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Nooooooooo ........ all the horror stories I have read about Pioneer 1000s having issues with air pockets in the cooling system and the crazy things folks do to get it out made me chuckle and say, "see, Hondas ain't perfect either". Now Yamaha has caught it
    MassiveOverkill likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1372 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    Nooooooooo ........ all the horror stories I have read about Pioneer 1000s having issues with air pockets in the cooling system and the crazy things folks do to get it out made me chuckle and say, "see, Hondas ain't perfect either". Now Yamaha has caught it
    Yamaha system will eventually bleed itself out, but you're one of those guys who feels that breaking the machine in the same way you're going to drive it all the time, it's not good.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I tried to break mine in right. Never noticed it getting hot and I kept a close eye on the temp for the first 20 hours. I've done its first service and ready to take it to the mountains now. I do like this buggy.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    1-fill your coolant overflow reservoir full while the engine is COLD
    2-park your vehicle on a steep incline, open the radiator cap while the engine is COLD and start the engine. (chock your wheels for safety)
    3-top off the coolant at the radiator filler neck and then put the radiator cap back on
    4-run the engine until it's nice and hot, race the engine a little in neutral if you have to. Monitor the coolant overflow to make sure it doesn't expand so much that it starts spitting coolant out.......air is OK, coolant is not (obviously for environmental reasons)
    5-let the engine cool completely down. The cooling system should suck some coolant out of the overflow as it cools down
    6- repeat 1-5 while still on an incline without removing the radiator cap for a couple more cycles or until coolant is no longer sucked out of the overflow reservoir. I leave my final overflow reservoir at about 75 percent to the Hot mark.
    Please clarify:
    2 - On a steep incline with the nose or tail up?

2- How steep, 15 degrees or 45 degrees or do you just want the radiator above or below the rest of the system?

2- Could you just use a jack to raise or lower the front/rear of the vehicle, or do you need more height than a jack & stands will provide?

4 - Will the coolant overflow cap need to be on or off to allow the air (or coolant) to get out?

4- If it needs to be on, can I take it off to add coolant with the engine running?

Thanks!
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    You would want the radiator at the high point since that is where the air needs to go to get out. Radiator up, engine down.

Radiator above the engine. The ramps would probably work fine for this purpose.

The coolant overflow cap can be on or off. Radiator cap needs to be on and sealed. There's a small vent tube that comes off the top of the coolant overflow that the air will escape from.

You can take it off with engine running to add coolant. It would be safer to add it with the engine off so you don't accidentally run over yourself.
    2019 Wolverine X4 SE in Tactical Black
    Hard sun top
    Ryco turn signal horn kit
    Glass windshield with wiper
    Glass rear window
    Heater
    Light Bar
    Spare Tire Carrier
    Stereo & Subwoofer
    Deluxe headliner
    Rock Sliders
    3500 Winch

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1372 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    Please clarify:
    2 - On a steep incline with the nose or tail up?

2- How steep, 15 degrees or 45 degrees or do you just want the radiator above or below the rest of the system?

2- Could you just use a jack to raise or lower the front/rear of the vehicle, or do you need more height than a jack & stands will provide?

4 - Will the coolant overflow cap need to be on or off to allow the air (or coolant) to get out?

4- If it needs to be on, can I take it off to add coolant with the engine running?

Thanks!
    Sorry didn't see this

Steeper the better but 30-45 degrees would be plenty sufficient with front end up

If you don't have an incline, jacking up the front end would work

Coolant overflow cap always on. Radiator cap off initially, start engine (do not race) top off radiator and then reinstall radiator cap and leave it installed. Pressure from heating will then purge air out and contraction from cooling down will suck coolant back to replace air as long as front end is raised.

If you have to add coolant you only add it through the overflow reservoir from this point on.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box

Sponsored Links