Update on top shock brackets
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Update on top shock brackets within the X2/X4 Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; So finally got some time to dismantle front end on the x4. Kinda disappointed in my findings and mixed feelings about the situation. I take ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Update on top shock brackets

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times

So finally got some time to dismantle front end on the x4. Kinda disappointed in my findings and mixed feelings about the situation. I take responsibility for my own decisions but if I knew what I knew now I definitely would have made a different decision. I’m definitely no engineer but I feel the front shock bracket support is a very weak point on the machine and then you add the high lifter lift kit to it your kinda asking for disaster unless you just drive your machine on asphalt or on your front lawn. No I don’t beat on my stuff I don’t jump it . Yes I love playing in mud and trail riding witch neither should have impacted this. don’t get me wrong I love this machine and I own many Yamaha products and believe in there dependability but maybe I can save someone from this. So my option is to buy a complete frame which is $3000 then swap everything over or pay to have someone else do it I pretty much rather buy a new machine . I could have some bracing welded up to straighten and add support but I just don’t believe it’s going to solve this for future so got it all torn a part and going to see if I can have a fab shop design and come up with new brackets and supports.Name:  6C55F1FF-0ADA-453F-9610-2BD5DB229C1E_1567255949798.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  4.50 MB what I don’t understand is if you can zoom in the middle of the support above the radiator there two big holes in the support and can’t figure out why as I see they serve no purpose . You can actually grab this with both hands and twist and there is flexibility in it don’t understand why this isn’t solid.
    Name:  F9516F79-5B62-45A6-BEB4-C912046E1C74_1567257926217.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  1.31 MB as you can see this is the opposite side of what broke to me it just doesn’t sit in great location in my opinion and with only one solid piece going side to side just makes the front portion weak at least in my eyes but what do I know. Name:  26FCCC30-6316-4612-B093-83FB13EAB17B_1567258186960.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  1.14 MB this is the side that broke now of course damage was done just trying to limp it out of the woods actually I believe at first only thing that was holding it together was the bar for the lift kit but that ended up giving out due to pressure from the shock and spring I’m sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    This is pic from the top of the bracket looking down. Name:  17DA1956-6441-4107-B432-2086DFEBE5A5_1567258673140.jpeg
Views: 114
Size:  1.16 MB here you can see were it broke from the frame and snapped the lift kit bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Sorry meant to put this in x4/x2 suspension

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1451 times
    You don't have to be a physics science major to look at how the Highlifter kit moves the tops of the shock towers outward and thus puts a tremendous amount of force upwards vs the stock upper shock mount, which directs the force inwards. It's a really bad design.

I think if you're going to do a lift kit that repositions the top shock mounts it ought to be at least a boxed insert that goes inside the stock bracket. Heck even if you're not doing a lift, one could clamp or weld in a piece of boxed stock in that area and beef it up substantially.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 8000 miles and 500 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Well that for sure took the lift kit off my list of things to do. i was on the fence because the X2 doesn`t have many choices. Well all take chances and I feel bad for you my friend.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    OEM Full Front Brush Guard
    OEM Full Poly-Carbonate Windshield
    Yamaha Cargo Box
    WARN Axon 35-S with Rocker & Cable Remote/ Factor 55 UltraHook
    Midland MXT 115 GMRS Radio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Crap! I have the highligter kit ready to install in a few days. I was under the impression that breakage was due to jumping and really hard riding, but I guess not. Thanks a lot for sharing. Do you think a person could shove a piece of square tubing along side the bracket that goes through the frame rail for extra support? I see that Massive did that even though he does not have the lift. Maybe a smaller diameter square tubing that fits in there with the lift bracket? THoughts on that idea? Sorry that you learned the hard way.
    2019 X2 SE R-Spec
    HW Machined Sheave, 18 gr
    30x10-12 Blackwater Evo's on ITP wheels, 1.5" spacer in rear
    DIY Radiator mud guards
    DIY fender flares
    Warn VRX45-S

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1590 times
    You guys should contact Gorilla Axle and ask them to start making their billet aluminum lift blocks that mount on the bottom shock mount. That should alleviate the weird stress angles that the highlifter kit produces. It is such a simple design but costs a little more than a cheap bracket lift. Pic of a Gen 1 Wolverine front lift block.

Name:  DSC_0019 - Copy.JPG
Size:  1.52 MB
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Yea probably the part that sucks the most is when I first seen the lift I had seconds thoughts when I seen it but I figured who ever made it new better then I did. I feel like someone wanted to jump on the wagon and be the first out there with the lift for the new x4. I will definitely keep you updated. If you are someone with the kit already installed I would keep a eye on it or maybe get reinforcement to support it if you don’t have it I would definitely consider waiting for other options.
    wolvymanx4 and MORSNO like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    You guys should contact Gorilla Axle and ask them to start making their billet aluminum lift blocks that mount on the bottom shock mount. That should alleviate the weird stress angles that the highlifter kit produces. It is such a simple design but costs a little more than a cheap bracket lift. Pic of a Gen 1 Wolverine front lift block.

Name:  DSC_0019 - Copy.JPG
Size:  1.52 MB
    I agree. This would be a fantastic option that I would definitely consider.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    GBC Kanati Mongrel 28X10R14 Tires
    1.5" Wheel Spacers In The Rear
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts
    Super ATV Tinted Rear Window
    UTV Tek Sun Visors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    663 times
    That sucks and really shouldn't be an issue any has to deal with. That said, It appears to be a very easy fix for anyone with some fab skills and a welder. It appears it could be cut off on both sides of the frame and have a piece a 1.5x3 .125 wall tube pushed through the factory piece of "channel" then welded in place. Build new mounting tabs for shocks, trying to get closer to original mounting location but lower to match the lift you currently have.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete