X4 with X2 R-Spec Shocks
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

X4 with X2 R-Spec Shocks

This is a discussion on X4 with X2 R-Spec Shocks within the X2/X4 Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Well, I finally broke down and ordered a new set of X2 R-Spec shocks for my X4. Now I am doing as much reading up ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: X4 with X2 R-Spec Shocks

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times

X4 with X2 R-Spec Shocks

Well, I finally broke down and ordered a new set of X2 R-Spec shocks for my X4. Now I am doing as much reading up on them to best be prepared to get them on and set prior to my wife and daughter being with for the sometimes painful suspension set up.

Contrary to some on here, I am also trying to get a set of JBS Springs for the R-Spec shocks in an effort to make them even better. I have had good luck with the springs for the stock X4 shocks, and plan to continue that trend.

Wish me luck, that I didn't make the wrong choice in getting the X2 R-Spec Shocks vs the Walker Evans...
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Matte Silver)
    -JBS Sheave and Springs, Weller ECM Flash, 14" ITP Hurricane Wheels/28"Terrabites, Lots of OEM Accessories...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    472 times
    If you did not know, JBS has to have a minimum order of springs to get them from Eibach cause they are not a stock item. It is a fairly big investment to get them and hold them. And sometimes the manufacturer's like Eibach do not seem to get in a hurry. Be patient if you are on the end of the cycle and you should be pleased with the Eibachs.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    If you did not know, JBS has to have a minimum order of springs to get them from Eibach cause they are not a stock item. It is a fairly big investment to get them and hold them. And sometimes the manufacturer's like Eibach do not seem to get in a hurry. Be patient if you are on the end of the cycle and you should be pleased with the Eibachs.
    If JBS would be transparent and up front with their customers and state: "THIS IS A PRE-ORDER, ITEM IS NOT IN STOCK" I guarantee 99.99% of the drama would be avoided. I've done tons of pre-orders in my former drone racing business and it was VERY EASY to mark an item as a pre order. If my shipment FROM CHINA was going to be delayed, I notified my customers ON MY WEBSITE, ON FORUMS, AND ON SOCIAL MEDIA. FROM CHINA is bolded because I know what it's like to be a slave to Chinese vendors, especially during Chinese New Year.

It is not rocket science. Customers will appreciate the up-front honesty and transparency. PayPal will love you for not being bombarded with fraudulence claims against your business. Heck you may even be able to get on your local Better Business Bureau with a good rating.
    TimBo and Budro2 like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Well, I finally broke down and ordered a new set of X2 R-Spec shocks for my X4. Now I am doing as much reading up on them to best be prepared to get them on and set prior to my wife and daughter being with for the sometimes painful suspension set up.

Contrary to some on here, I am also trying to get a set of JBS Springs for the R-Spec shocks in an effort to make them even better. I have had good luck with the springs for the stock X4 shocks, and plan to continue that trend.

Wish me luck, that I didn't make the wrong choice in getting the X2 R-Spec Shocks vs the Walker Evans...
    I did finally receive my springs from JBS and got them installed. I gained 1 3/4" clearance on the front and 1 1/8" on the back with the same preload settings.
    I had the stocks springs preload at the minimum in the rear and about 3/8" from minimum on the front as they were way too stiff.

I hope the ride is the same or better but that extra ground clearance will be nice.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    JBS Spring Kit
    27" Blackwater Evolutions
    Weller Racing ECU Flash
    Hunterworks Machined Sheave

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Got shipping notification on my shocks. According to FedEX, I will have them on Tuesday. Not 100% sure if I am going to put them on right away or wait until I get the springs from JBS. Temptation will probably get the best of me while I wait for the springs to come and it will give me a better idea of any actual improvement from them. I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, but should have some time to ride while I am gone (taking my X4 with). Would be a good time to start to get the settings figured out on the shocks.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    -JBS Sheave and Springs, Weller ECM Flash, 14" ITP Hurricane Wheels/28"Terrabites, Lots of OEM Accessories...

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Got shipping notification on my shocks. According to FedEX, I will have them on Tuesday. Not 100% sure if I am going to put them on right away or wait until I get the springs from JBS. Temptation will probably get the best of me while I wait for the springs to come and it will give me a better idea of any actual improvement from them. I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, but should have some time to ride while I am gone (taking my X4 with). Would be a good time to start to get the settings figured out on the shocks.
    Do you have experience with the JBS springs on the X4? I need to do something, but havent figured out what. I really want to keep the leveling rear shocks as that was a huge plus for me when I bought it. I was planning on doing the springs and seeing how it was. The next step would then be to change out the fronts to a better shock with the JBS springs. I guess the other option is to do the walker evans all around but I would like to avoid this.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I do have experience with the JBS springs on the standard X4 shocks. I am running them now and have been running them for the last 800 miles. They are a big improvement over the OEM spring and have given a better ride that is more consistent. The experience that I have gotten from the springs makes me want them for the new shocks.

The only reason that I am going to the X2 R-Spec shocks is my constant want to make improvements. I am keeping the standard shocks with the springs as a fall back.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I do have experience with the JBS springs on the standard X4 shocks. I am running them now and have been running them for the last 800 miles. They are a big improvement over the OEM spring and have given a better ride that is more consistent. The experience that I have gotten from the springs makes me want them for the new shocks.

The only reason that I am going to the X2 R-Spec shocks is my constant want to make improvements. I am keeping the standard shocks with the springs as a fall back.
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the JBS springs for the x4 fronts would swap over to the Rspec shocks. That doesn't appear to be the case. I'd be interested in what you find out. Now I am torn. I've had good luck in the past with just replacing the springs on different machines. Those machines all had quality shocks with sub par springs. These shocks on the X4 just seem kind of cheap with no resi and very little adjustability. My main concern though is getting a more forgiving ride and maybe picking up a little stability in cornering.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    From what I understand, the front springs swap between the different shocks, but due to the rear load leveling shocks being so big, they are not the same. But in my case, I have had a bad experience with shocks in the past and know that the OEM X4 shocks work well, so I will not part with them, and want to maintain them in a ready to use state. I can understand others wanting to save some costs along the way, and that is probably a much more wise standpoint.

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Sorry, I misunderstood you again, lol. I thought you had to buy different front springs since they were different between the rspec and the x4. I will probably try the springs first and if I'm still not satisfied, upgrade the front shocks later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links