Need confirmation of a bad axle
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Need confirmation of a bad axle within the X2/X4 Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; So I went riding 2 weeks ago and tore a CV boot on the outer left rear side. No big deal, replaced it and all ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need confirmation of a bad axle

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

So I went riding 2 weeks ago and tore a CV boot on the outer left rear side. No big deal, replaced it and all was well. Went riding last weekend and noticed a clicking/popping noise only in reverse. I believe this is an indication of a bad CV joint/axle but it seems strange since I only have around 100 miles on the buggy. Can someone confirm?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    What did you replace the axle or the boot? If the boot did you clean out the grease and re-grease?
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    I had a similar situation one time after changing the rear outside boot but can’t say it was only related to reverse. Mine did it in a tight circle the direction of the side making the noise. It was immediately after changing the boot. When I disassembled it, i found the little circlip that holds the cv joint on the axle was in pieces. I’m assuming it broke when I knocked it on. I changed the clip put it back together and found I had the same popping noise. Took the axle back out and this time the joint didn’t slide off so I knew the clip was good. I assumed then that there was a fracture inside the cage around one of the balls. I changed the whole axle and that fixed it. I don’t know if the clip being broken caused the whole problem or not but it wasn’t popping before I changed the boot.
    Another thing I found after the clip had broke was that it had damaged the splines on the axle mildly because some separation had occurred and occasionally it was slipping at the splines. This makes me think that with only 100 miles, possibly that’s your noise!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    368 times
    I had a noise in reverse only, checked my axel and there was a tear in the boot, took it apart to investigate and yup, my axle was certainly fucked. replaced, and all good.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the replies. I plan to pull it apart tomorrow and see what's going on with it. When I replaced the boot I did remove the old grease and re grease it.

For replacements, I've seen some cheap options but I'm skeptical of their longevity. I'm leaning towards just replacing it with OEM because I don't really want to have to change both sides out if I don't have to right now. Are the Gorilla brand axles that much better than stock?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    624 times
    If you didn't read all 3 pages of my thread "Axle Recommendations" https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...endations.html you may find it and the pictures of interest. So far I am well pleased with the Tusk HD Axle made by Demon under private label for Tusk. If you do switch to an aftermarket axle I would pay close attention to the type of material the boot is made out of, (discussed in the Axle Recommendations thread).

If your replacing a CV Joint with an OEM joint it is almost cheaper to buy an entire new axle and save the hassle of dismantling>repairing>re-greasing>reassembly and this way you know you have everything new and don't have to wonder when the other CV Joint may go bad on your repaired axle.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    If your replacing a CV Joint with an OEM joint it is almost cheaper to buy an entire new axle and save the hassle of dismantling>repairing>re-greasing>reassembly and this way you know you have everything new and don't have to wonder when the other CV Joint may go bad on your repaired axle.
    This is very true.

Also, I am very happy with my BRONCO axle, it's certainly beefier, and I think has better range of motion than the stock axle (there's a post about it somewhere part number included, just search). Also, you don't need to switch them both, unless you are THAT ocd... I have OEM on one side of the front and aftermarket on the other, no issues at all.

good luck.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    If you didn't read all 3 pages of my thread "Axle Recommendations" https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...endations.html you may find it and the pictures of interest. So far I am well pleased with the Tusk HD Axle made by Demon under private label for Tusk. If you do switch to an aftermarket axle I would pay close attention to the type of material the boot is made out of, (discussed in the Axle Recommendations thread).

Thanks for the information I did see the post but only skimmed it because I wasn't 100% sure yet what was wrong with my buggy.

I will definitely just replace the axle because of the reasons you mentioned above and because it will be easier in the long run.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is very true.

Also, I am very happy with my BRONCO axle, it's certainly beefier, and I think has better range of motion than the stock axle (there's a post about it somewhere part number included, just search). Also, you don't need to switch them both, unless you are THAT ocd... I have OEM on one side of the front and aftermarket on the other, no issues at all.

good luck.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, glad to hear I can replace one and be alright. A buddy of mine said you had to do both or otherwise you would have problems but it didn't really make sense to me since it's still the same length axle. I'll definitely just be looking to replace one axle and call it a day then. Thanks for the information!

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So after doing some searching, all the aftermarket axles seem to say that they aren't compatible with the x4. Anyone know of a brand that works for the x4??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links