2" wheel spacers
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

2" wheel spacers

This is a discussion on 2" wheel spacers within the X2/X4 Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; On my last trailride i could really feel my tires rubbing the inside of ruts left by other machines. I'm running 4+3 MSA wheels with ...

Thread: 2" wheel spacers

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    171 times

2" wheel spacers

On my last trailride i could really feel my tires rubbing the inside of ruts left by other machines. I'm running 4+3 MSA wheels with a 1" spacer in the rear. Basically this puts me at 1" per side wider than stock. I'm debating moving the 1" spacers up front & installing 2" on the rear. I'm not worried about the rear but I don't like all the extra strain on the ball joints and steering up front. I realize it's nowhere near as bad as something like portals but I haven't seen any reports of how the suspension/steering holds up. Opinions?

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhound View Post
    On my last trailride i could really feel my tires rubbing the inside of ruts left by other machines. I'm running 4+3 MSA wheels with a 1" spacer in the rear. Basically this puts me at 1" per side wider than stock. I'm debating moving the 1" spacers up front & installing 2" on the rear. I'm not worried about the rear but I don't like all the extra strain on the ball joints and steering up front. I realize it's nowhere near as bad as something like portals but I haven't seen any reports of how the suspension/steering holds up. Opinions?
    I am running 1" up front and 2.5" spacers in the rear. I only have a couple hundred miles so far, but no issues so far. It is worth it to me to potentially have to replace parts sooner if I gain more stability on this top heavy beast.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I've ran 1" spacers several times on quads with OEM wheels with no ill effects whatsoever. Combining them with the MSA wheels gives me the 2" in front. Actually the biggest problem may be the 28's getting into the footwells when turning. It rubs just a bit at full stuff already. Not to mention bumpsteer. I suppose i can always yank them off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    If you run a 1" spacer won't you have to trim the studs down?
    I think the studs are about 1-1/4" long.
    2019 X2 SE Black
    29x9-14 all around.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    The studs do extend about 1/8" past the 1" spacers.The OEM wheels and my MSA wheels are clearanced between the mounting holes so it's not an issue. It is VERY important to check that. I once sold a '66 chevy pickup to a local guy after i installed some white spoke wheels on it. I didn't notice the OEM drum brakes had locator nubs on them for the OEM wheels. It drove fine but about 3 weeks later all the studs sheered off one front wheel. Thank heaven he was going slow in a parking lot when it happened or he could have been killed. Scared the hell out of me and taught me to never cut corners on steering or brakes. That's why I don't like the idea of using spacers up front. I also don't like the extra strain on steering and ball joints. I would love to get out to around 63-64" but wider a-arms are the better way to do it. Not spacers.

Sponsored Links