4wd Vibration - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

4wd Vibration

This is a discussion on 4wd Vibration within the X2/X4 Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I know they SHOULD be the same diameter, but its like Timbo said, they are way different, and that makes me wonder if there is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 4wd Vibration

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    I know they SHOULD be the same diameter, but its like Timbo said, they are way different, and that makes me wonder if there is a different gear ratio from front to back.

So when you put the same size aftermarket tires on is it going to throw off the rotation, that's what made me wonder about my vibration when in 4wd.
    But, they have the large tire option from Yamaha from factory, they prob are the same diameter from front to back, Right?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1468 times
    They are the same diameter, air pressure and weight in the Wolverine will change the squat of the tires if you are measuring while installed. Take your tires off and lay them against a wall and then measure the diameter...it can make a big difference for actual diameter. The factory tires are soft and squat a lot with a load on them.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Sorry, but someone with the stock tires on an X2 need to measure, I'll take a picture, I have them still mounted on wheels sitting in my shed.
    The guy that mounted my Terrabites is the one that noticed the height difference in the stock ones. He also wondered how that works with the gears, because
    that is why we all try and find a spare tire that measures the same.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapper View Post
    Your right, it prob no big deal, but my commander didn’t have that, but my Teryx may have.
    My only input is, the stock tires, the front are larger diameter than the back, right? So when I put on the terrabytes, they are the same diameter. What happens to the gearing when in 4wd?
    The Commander had visco-lock, and I don't know the specifics behind it, but it sounds a lot like a torque convertor and will be a softer feeling 4WD. Your Wolvie has real 4WD.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    27" Big Horn 2s, SuperATV Flip Windshield, Yamaha Soft Cab, Yamaha Cargo Box, Kolpin 3500# winch w/ synthetic rope, KFI winch mount, UPI Inferno Heater, JBL PRV-175 stereo, Polk 6.5 speakers, Garmin Drive 60 with VV Mapping. Lots of other little things.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapper View Post
    Sorry, but someone with the stock tires on an X2 need to measure, I'll take a picture, I have them still mounted on wheels sitting in my shed.
    The guy that mounted my Terrabites is the one that noticed the height difference in the stock ones. He also wondered how that works with the gears, because
    that is why we all try and find a spare tire that measures the same.
    Like I said, the height can vary with air pressures. Of course most stock tires run small to be light weight, but they are the same diameter with proper air pressures which you can change as needed. The gearing is also the same in both differentials, which you can verify in the service manual or your local dealer parts counter.

Mount your new Terrabites and move on, you'll be fine.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    My wolverine diffs rattle like crazy in 4wd and then for a lot of miles after I put it back in 2wd. My Yamaha big bear had the same setup and did the same thing until I hit around 1,000 miles on it or so. Wolverine just turned 500 miles, so Ive got a ways to go.
    MORSNO and Piston Yamaha like this.
    2017 Yamaha Wolverine EPS w/26" Sedona RipSaws

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    My wolverine diffs rattle like crazy in 4wd and then for a lot of miles after I put it back in 2wd. My Yamaha big bear had the same setup and did the same thing until I hit around 1,000 miles on it or so. Wolverine just turned 500 miles, so Ive got a ways to go.
    You guys should hear the straight cut gears used on the Pioneer 500. The Wolverine sounds like I'm in a library compared to the Honda.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    27" Big Horn 2s, SuperATV Flip Windshield, Yamaha Soft Cab, Yamaha Cargo Box, Kolpin 3500# winch w/ synthetic rope, KFI winch mount, UPI Inferno Heater, JBL PRV-175 stereo, Polk 6.5 speakers, Garmin Drive 60 with VV Mapping. Lots of other little things.

Pavement Princess vadencd@aol.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Lol Piston Yamaha. Aint that the gritty truth!!!!!!!
    Piston Yamaha likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I noticed a whirring sound and could feel in the floorboard. Not concerned because nothing sounded or felt like it was grinding or catching and it went away as soon as I took it out of 4wd. Its noticeable though so I monitored it all weekend to make sure it wasn’t getting worse. Anyone notice if it’s lessened or gotten worse with more miles?
    19’ Wolverine X2 R-Spec, White on Black (no stickers)
    • 32” Motohavok
    • 18” MSA SWITCH
    • Super ATV 4” Portals
    • HighLifter 3.5” Signature Series Lift
    • HMF Titan XL
    • Weller Reflash
    • Black Out Half Windshield
    • Homemade 4” Black Eye Brow
    • Terra 45 Winch (Homemade Plate)

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1239 times
    I don't know why I didn't mention this when the OP posted but mine does that too, starts around 30 MPH. It's normal on pavement if that's when it's happening.
    Grizzlysituation likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links