Dust problem in primary sliding sheave in Hunterwork's greaseless setup. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Dust problem in primary sliding sheave in Hunterwork's greaseless setup.

This is a discussion on Dust problem in primary sliding sheave in Hunterwork's greaseless setup. within the X2/X4 CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Originally Posted by Ghost23 I don't seem to have any issues with the hunterworks sheave and weights in my X2. But all this back and ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Dust problem in primary sliding sheave in Hunterwork's greaseless setup.

Lead Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost23 View Post
    I don't seem to have any issues with the hunterworks sheave and weights in my X2. But all this back and forth with hw and jbs has me wondering which is better. I just watched James recent videos on YouTube about hw issues and jbs ratio.

If I just keep the hw blown out, is it going to last? Or is a greased system better? What is the ratio of a hw sheave? Jbs says his is 17.5% better than stock.
    You know there's a whole thread dedicated to actual UNBIASED DYNO TESTING between the two sheaves?

James is calling poo-poo on the Gen 1 cam plate towers not having an issue. There are plenty of people who have experienced this in their STOCK SHEAVES.

We have members here who have tried both and can tell you Hunterworks performed better. Wherry is no fan of me and he'll even admit his HW setup performs better. Alex has tried both and says his Hunterworks performed better. Michael has tried both and his Hunterworks performed better.

As far as milling: The JBS OD weights are so much taller that James HAS to mill more on the low end to make up for it. As a matter of fact, JBS NEEDS to use a 1.2 mm shim to make up for the low end you lose from using OD weights. JBS performs WORSE than stock down low. Remember, the concept of OD weights was to get you more high end without having to machine your sheave.

I don't know, do you consider 10,500 miles long enough for you?

The argument is now moot. You can use the HW sheave with whatever ROUND rollers you want and use grease in your sheave.

Here's my suggestion:

Try Hunterworks greaseless and install the blowout port. If you're one of the minority that have high dust accumulation and you need to blow out very often, then go back to grease. Otherwise simply blow out the primary with the blow out port, which literally takes 5 minutes.

Consider how long it takes to service the primary with grease, including removing all the plastic (on an X4), etc. You're talking at least a 2 hour job from start to finish. Now 5 minutes into 2 hours is 24 times you could have blown out your primary via greaseless. If you're supposed to service your sheaves every 1600 miles you would have to blow out your primary every 66 miles to equal the time it takes to service your primary sheave with grease. Let's not forget the numerous reports of those who've accidentally overgreased their primary or those who's day has been ruined when their greased system got swamped.

Let me break this down further:

Time you can go between blowing out your primary

A 66 miles = same amount of time you'd spend changing out grease in your primary
    B 125 miles = half the time you'd spend changing out grease in your primary
    C 250 miles = 1\4 the time you'd spend changing out grease in your primary
    D 500 miles = 1\8 the time you'd spend changing out grease in your primary

I'm between C and D.
    Last edited by MassiveOverkill; 08-02-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Ghost23, InfidelMT and TINKEN like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4, 124th unit built at Georgia
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 10000 miles and 670 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 20 gram HV weights
    Dynojet Power Vision 3
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Synthetic in everything with Engine/Gear butter by Hunterworks
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    My belt was starting to chirp fairly often. I would blow it out and then get one ride before it needed another blow out.
    Last weekend we were going on a three day trip and didn't want any issues so before we left I took the primary apart and cleaned everything thoroughly and added some dry lube.
    Everything worked fine the first day but the chirp came back half way through day 2.

When I got back home and pulled the primary off it was full of black dust.
    1 - We haven't had dust here because of all the rain we have been getting - rained the whole first day
    2 - I led the group the whole first day and third day
    3 - If we ever do get dust its definitely not black
    Putting a screen on the CVT intake isn't going to prevent this

Blowing this dust out while I'm riding or even every day is just not an acceptable solution for me.
    We are going on another 3 day ride this weekend.

I just put grease back in mine.
    Paul65 and Budro2 like this.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    27" Blackwater Evolutions
    Weller Racing ECU Flash
    Hunterworks Machined Sheave
    Eibach Springs from JBS
    NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBo View Post
    You came to that conclusion from testing ? Or just speculating without proof ?

My pre-filter is being installed today and I will actually test this theory before just saying it wont work without proof.

That same crap will be in your grease by the way.
    2019 X2 R-Spec SE
    29x9.5-15 Carnivores
    15" MSA M33 Clutch Wheel 4+3
    1.5" Rear Spacers
    Hunterworks Sheave
    Weller Tune
    KYB Shock with Eibach Springs
    PERFEX Industries 2" Lift
    Amsoil Synthetic Oils, Wix XP Filter
    CVT Exhaust Snorkel
    Charcoal Canister Delete
    Front & Rear Sway Bar Delete
    Shoulder Bolster Delete
    KFI SE35 Winch
    KFI 66" Plow
    2019 X2 Shop Manual

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    I've seen what dust does inside my CVT. No way will I be running grease. The way I have my blow out port setup takes a whole minute. If your secondary hasn't been serviced in 1600 miles it needs to be done as well.
    TINKEN likes this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
    1st Wolverine X2 ECU Tuned by Dynojet with PV3 and HMF QS
    HW w/20's with blow out port
    MSA M25 Wheels w/ EFX 8ply 27x10x14 Motoclaw with SATV 1.5" Rear Wheel Spacer
    SATV Flip Windshield & Half
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    That same crap will be in your grease by the way.
    Agreed!
    2019 Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
    1st Wolverine X2 ECU Tuned by Dynojet with PV3 and HMF QS
    HW w/20's with blow out port
    MSA M25 Wheels w/ EFX 8ply 27x10x14 Motoclaw with SATV 1.5" Rear Wheel Spacer
    SATV Flip Windshield & Half
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBo View Post
    My belt was starting to chirp fairly often. I would blow it out and then get one ride before it needed another blow out.
    Last weekend we were going on a three day trip and didn't want any issues so before we left I took the primary apart and cleaned everything thoroughly and added some dry lube.
    Everything worked fine the first day but the chirp came back half way through day 2.

When I got back home and pulled the primary off it was full of black dust.
    1 - We haven't had dust here because of all the rain we have been getting - rained the whole first day
    2 - I led the group the whole first day and third day
    3 - If we ever do get dust its definitely not black

Blowing this dust out while I'm riding or even every day is just not an acceptable solution for me.
    We are going on another 3 day ride this weekend.

I just put grease back in mine.
    This question has been on my mind for a while. I ride in AK and dusty trails aren’t very common. I ended up with a belt bark issue last summer and went through the normal process of troubleshooting. Numerous tear downs and sheave cleanings over several months. During the process, I reached out to Massive and others but no one had a solution that worked. I was running greaseless with the HW sheave. After cleaning out the gray/black dust, things would be fine for about 50-100 miles but the bark would show back up. Note that most of my riding is slow (avg 7mph) so I was seldom opening things up to blow out accumulated dust. Once hunting season and winter came around I was riding in mud and snow (zero trail dust) and the bark would still materialize. I ended up sending my weights back to UTVengineering so he could inspect them. He said that my weights were worn and smaller than spec. He wasn’t sure why but suspected either environmental dust was causing the sheave to stick or the wear was from variation in the sheave channels. He noted that the sheaves are made in China and that there is some variability. Since I was riding exclusively in wet or frozen conditions, I knew it wasn’t trail dust. Nonetheless UTVengineering sent me new weights and within 100 miles the bark was back. At that point, and with recommendations from others, I went back to grease. I have had no bark since then and have put over 800 miles on it.

My point is that I think roller weight wear could also be adding dust that effects the sheaves performance. If this is true, a CVT filter will not stop the bark but it may extend the time between blowouts.

Although it is definitely an issue, I don’t think trail dust is the only culprit. If it was then belt bark issues wouldn’t develop in the fall/winter in Alaska when trail dust is nonexistent. I am fairly certain that AKHUNTER’s belt bark showed up in winter/spring (no trail dust) too. His was resolved with grease as well. I get why people dislike grease (me too!) but in some cases it might be the most practical alternative.

I am going to do my secondary service soon and will inspect the primary, roller weight wear, and replace the grease (since I will be in there already). I am curious about the condition of my roller weights and any measureable wear. I will post what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ————-
    ‘18 Yamaha Wolverine X4 - Blue
    33” System3 XM310s on 18” MSA Beadlocks
    SuperATV GDP 4” Portals
    SuperATV Forward A-Arms
    814 Viking Trail Series Shocks
    OEM Windshield and Soft Back Cover
    Warn Provantage 3500 w/ Wireless Remote
    27" LED Front and 12" LED Rear Lightbars
    EMP Side Mirrors
    DuDuBell 7" Backup Camera

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    I very recently serviced my primary and installed The blow out port. The belt bark came back within two weeks and ~100 miles. I blew it out five times before this weekend’s WV trip. It rained there each day so no dust. Belt barking at almost every stop. I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’m going back in to do the secondary now that I have the new type spring cup. I’ll have parts on hand for the primary after discussion with Todd. The performance is great, just the annoying belt bark at take off under no load.
    mvarner and SKELLEY521 like this.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    From everything that I've read, I think the HW sheave has all the performance numbers that I like.
    I think the dust issue is coming from the weights wearing myself, just conclusion from members post.
    Belt bark, not going to deal with it. I would get the HW sheave, OEM weights that you want, run grease and be done with it.
    2,522 miles on original components and no issues. I'm just waiting on freaking parts to arrive for service....UGH!
    mvarner likes this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    Adapt your machine to how you intend to use it.
    Every mod you do to a machine will have gains somewhere and losses in other areas.
    Decide what you want and what you can live with or without.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    If that was the case Id have no more weights by now...lol...
    2019 X2 R-Spec SE
    29x9.5-15 Carnivores
    15" MSA M33 Clutch Wheel 4+3
    1.5" Rear Spacers
    Hunterworks Sheave
    Weller Tune
    KYB Shock with Eibach Springs
    PERFEX Industries 2" Lift
    Amsoil Synthetic Oils, Wix XP Filter
    CVT Exhaust Snorkel
    Charcoal Canister Delete
    Front & Rear Sway Bar Delete
    Shoulder Bolster Delete
    KFI SE35 Winch
    KFI 66" Plow
    2019 X2 Shop Manual

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    Not ever case, but there are many as per the postings of Black Dust build up.
    The sheave seems good and I don't see it making black dust, now the weights are a strong possibility and would lead to a logical conclusion.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    Adapt your machine to how you intend to use it.
    Every mod you do to a machine will have gains somewhere and losses in other areas.
    Decide what you want and what you can live with or without.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links