Mods and clutching
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Mods and clutching

This is a discussion on Mods and clutching within the X2/X4 CVT, Sheaves & Wet Clutch forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Hello, been working on the right set up and have been doing a lot of testing lately. I thought I would share my experiences. 28” ...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Mods and clutching

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    233 times

Mods and clutching

Hello, been working on the right set up and have been doing a lot of testing lately. I thought I would share my experiences.

28” tires
    Stock flash
    Stock muffler
    JBS extreme clutch with 16gram weighs
    -Flat run top speed average gps runs 60.2 mph
    -Pulled harder than stock bottom to middle.

Just added the Weller reflash and HMF Pipe
    -Flat run top speed average with Gps 52.4mph. I lost a lot of top end.
    -pulled hard low to middle and struggled for top speed.

Don’t know what happened I contacted James at JBS and we are working through the cluching. Were Going to try 18 gram weights and see what happens. He has had the same result with another customer and said it was more the HMF exhaust that resulted in top end loss. Also contacted Weller racing and waiting for a call back.
    Budro2 and DWRAT like this.

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    27" tires, 22 gram weights, HMF exhaust, Weller ECU flash, Hunterworks sheave, top speed 64 MPH. IF TOP SPEED IS YOUR GOAL, even 18 gram weights may still be too light. Don't believe the crap that the HMF exhaust is the problem, it's not.

Forgot to add: X4 with roof and full and I'm at 5500'. Not only do I have more drag than an X2 but I'm suffering a minor HP loss as well (I don't believe I'm losing 3% per 1000 ft though as I believe air resistance is less so actual net loss is less)

I'll add you to the list once your setup is finalized and congratulations (video proof of top speed would be appreciated on flat ground)

https://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...-mph-club.html
    Last edited by MassiveOverkill; 05-28-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 6000 miles and 425 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Thanks for the reply. The 18gram weights are on their way. May try 20’s to. Just need to try them and test. Once I get a satisfactory result I’ll get some videos for you guys.

Also looking for a all around good setup. I would like to be able to maintain 60mph as a top end goal.
    Last edited by 19Wherry; 05-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    MassiveOverkill and InfidelMT like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    When you add the HMF exhaust (and most likely any other aftermarket exhaust) on the X2/X4 don't expect your typical results that you get with adding exhaust. Normally uncorking your exhaust is going to get you more RPMs and shift your powerband to the right on the dyno chart. With the X2/X4 your power curve shifts left and you actually have to go with a heavier primary weight to take advantage of it. This is why I say do your clutching last or after you do exhaust (not in place of) because if you do your clutching first, then add exhaust, you may find yourself having to change weights.

If your setup is running sweet with 18 gram weights on stock exhaust, you may find yourself liking 20 gram weights or heavier when you install the HMF exhaust.

This is good though, because by going with heavier weights, you lower your RPMs = better fuel economy = lower noise (not lower than stock exhaust except at light load).
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    When you add the HMF exhaust (and most likely any other aftermarket exhaust) on the X2/X4 don't expect your typical results that you get with adding exhaust. Normally uncorking your exhaust is going to get you more RPMs and shift your powerband to the right on the dyno chart. With the X2/X4 your power curve shifts left and you actually have to go with a heavier primary weight to take advantage of it. This is why I say do your clutching last or after you do exhaust (not in place of) because if you do your clutching first, then add exhaust, you may find yourself having to change weights.

If your setup is running sweet with 18 gram weights on stock exhaust, you may find yourself liking 20 gram weights or heavier when you install the HMF exhaust.

This is good though, because by going with heavier weights, you lower your RPMs = better fuel economy = lower noise (not lower than stock exhaust except at light load).
    out of curiosity, how does the low end get affected by heavier weights with the sheave, HMF muffler and Weller tune?

I'm currently running the JBS Sheave, 17g weights, 28" tires and have topped out at 57mph on flat land with this combo.

The current low end power and drivability that i have is really good and I'm thinking of the muffler and tune but only if my bottom end will be unaffected ( if i have to get some heavier weights that's fine).

I mostly want the tune for the lower fan temp and removing the speed limiter, more power is not the main goal there.
    Wolverine X4 SE | 28x10-12 studded Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 (winter) | 27x9-12/27x12-12 Maxxis Bighorn on OEM wheels (summer) | OEM heater | OEM rear storage box | OEM A-Arm guards | OEM hardcoat windshield | OEM hard roof | Boss audio head unit and speakers | 20” black oak light bar | Front and rear winch | Weller Racing Tune | JBS Machined Sheave with 20g OD Weight’s | assault mirrors | SxS enclosures soft cab | SuperATV Rear Windshield | Walker Evans Shocks

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    out of curiosity, how does the low end get affected by heavier weights with the sheave, HMF muffler and Weller tune?

I'm currently running the JBS Sheave, 17g weights, 28" tires and have topped out at 57mph on flat land with this combo.

The current low end power and drivability that i have is really good and I'm thinking of the muffler and tune but only if my bottom end will be unaffected ( if i have to get some heavier weights that's fine).

I mostly want the tune for the lower fan temp and removing the speed limiter, more power is not the main goal there.
    My low end didn't suffer at all with the HMF exhaust. Without at least the Weller ECU flash your top end is going to be limited although you should be getting more than 57 MPH GPS as that's what stock sheaved 26" tire units are doing:

I would say the exhaust is optional for you and if you like how quiet your vehicle is now then don't do the exhaust as it is noticeably louder, especially if you have an enclosure, pushing that tolerability fine-line for noise.

For me, I had to maintain 60+ MPH as long as possible and stock exhaust with sheave and Weller ECU flash would allow me to do top speed runs for bragging purposes but wouldn't allow me to do extended high speed running. The HMF exhaust along with HW latest prototype sheave I was able to do 60+ MPH for more extended periods of time but more importantly lowered RPMs as well = reduced noise and better gas mileage. Going up hills on the highway: Before I would slowly lose MPH. I can actually slightly gain speed going uphill now if I want to.

Think about the weight selection between the Gen 1 and X2/X4. Clearly the 2 motors are not the same. The Gen 1 worked well with lighter weights because of it's shorter stroke and responded better to mods increasing RPMs. The 847 cc motor is longer stroked than the 708 cc engine and doesn't respond as well to higher RPM mods. It's a stump puller. Going with weights too light just takes the 847 cc motor out of its power band.

Low gear with lighter weights was undriveable for me. Too much RPM. With heavier weights it became more useful along with the power mods. Hopefully others will chime in.
    erik likes this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    Tinkseal additives
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    well, i'll be doing some testing on my own now - i just ordered 20g weights and a Weller racing tune.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    Wolverine X4 SE | 28x10-12 studded Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 (winter) | 27x9-12/27x12-12 Maxxis Bighorn on OEM wheels (summer) | OEM heater | OEM rear storage box | OEM A-Arm guards | OEM hardcoat windshield | OEM hard roof | Boss audio head unit and speakers | 20” black oak light bar | Front and rear winch | Weller Racing Tune | JBS Machined Sheave with 20g OD Weight’s | assault mirrors | SxS enclosures soft cab | SuperATV Rear Windshield | Walker Evans Shocks

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    I agree with massive. Prior to the Weller tune/HMF exhaust and using stock tune/exhaust my engagement of the clutch seemed lower and was able to get more top end. Where is now with the tune it feels like it engages at higher rpm and is almost jerky and tops out really quick. So throwing more weight at the primary should lower engagement rpm and give me more top end. Just have to test. I agree on what massive says about how the tork curve gets moved around with changing to an exhaust that can breathe more. Hence his advise of doing clutch work after that way your not buying a bunch of clutch weights and testing.
    MassiveOverkill and Alex like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    Alex- when you do your testing, please get results for the shorter distance times and MPH.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Link doesn’t work. So the last 3 videos are out of order but I think you guys can figure it out. Round 1 of testing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=tlZNM37IBso
    Last edited by 19Wherry; 05-30-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links