Dropped valve thread - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Dropped valve thread

This is a discussion on Dropped valve thread within the X2/X4 Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; I just saw a guy on the FB groups buy a Commander because his X4 blew up (most likely because of a dropped valve). It ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Dropped valve thread

Lead Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2356 times
    I just saw a guy on the FB groups buy a Commander because his X4 blew up (most likely because of a dropped valve). It pains me to no end to see this that I want to head down to Newnan, GA and slap the crap out of someone (assuming the engines are also assembled there and not crated from Japan).
    SKELLEY521, Budro2 and TN_Max like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4, 124th unit built at Georgia
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 10000 miles and 670 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 20 gram HV weights
    Dynojet Power Vision 3
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Synthetic in everything with Engine/Gear butter by Hunterworks
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    I just saw a guy on the FB groups buy a Commander because his X4 blew up (most likely because of a dropped valve). It pains me to no end to see this that I want to head down to Newnan, GA and slap the crap out of someone (assuming the engines are also assembled there and not crated from Japan).
    I'm sure they are assembled in Newnan, GA. The Japanese wouldn't be making those kinds of mistakes. It's probably related to one assembly worker being clueless. Had to fill in for a Veteran worker who got the Rona.
    Last edited by InfidelMT; 06-30-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    MassiveOverkill and Budro2 like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
    1st Wolverine X2 ECU Tuned by Dynojet with PV3 and HMF QS
    HW w/20's with blow out port
    MSA M25 Wheels w/ EFX 8ply 27x10x14 Motoclaw with SATV 1.5" Rear Wheel Spacer
    SATV Flip Windshield & Half
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    resolution after 25 days for me.
    So after 25 days, after Yamaha did authorize the engine replacement, and i had picked up the X2 (another 700 mile round trip BTW) Yamaha called back. It seemed like they wanted me to pat em on the back for job well done. They seemed a bit taken aback when I identified an incompetent poorly trained individual on an assembly line as the cause of this issue.

The Yamaha supervisor and i had a long , very heated discussion. Yamaha was "sincerely, very sorry" for the issues. I believe that , but my point was - so what, what does that apology do for me, Yamaha's screw up cost me significantly , both financially and professionally, sorry was just words.

eventually, after I turned aside at least 4 attempts by the supervisor to apologize and get off the phone, we finally got around to serious discussion. Yamaha agreed to give me a YES for the next 18 months, and gave me some significant "credit" toward Yamaha accessories. I'm not made whole, or completely happy, but I think its about as fair as it could be given the current circumstances. I appreciate Yamaha working with me in rough circumstances, and I hope this is the start of a happy ownership of the X2 rspec.
    Budro2, Stroodle, 1slo_CR and 1 others like this.
    2020 X2 - R Spec
    Bone stock for now

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slowstepper View Post
    resolution after 25 days for me.
    So after 25 days, after Yamaha did authorize the engine replacement, and i had picked up the X2 (another 700 mile round trip BTW) Yamaha called back. It seemed like they wanted me to pat em on the back for job well done. They seemed a bit taken aback when I identified an incompetent poorly trained individual on an assembly line as the cause of this issue.

The Yamaha supervisor and i had a long , very heated discussion. Yamaha was "sincerely, very sorry" for the issues. I believe that , but my point was - so what, what does that apology do for me, Yamaha's screw up cost me significantly , both financially and professionally, sorry was just words.

eventually, after I turned aside at least 4 attempts by the supervisor to apologize and get off the phone, we finally got around to serious discussion. Yamaha agreed to give me a YES for the next 18 months, and gave me some significant "credit" toward Yamaha accessories. I'm not made whole, or completely happy, but I think its about as fair as it could be given the current circumstances. I appreciate Yamaha working with me in rough circumstances, and I hope this is the start of a happy ownership of the X2 rspec.
    Way to hang in there and negotiate, this is probably as good as one could ever expect from such an unfortunate circumstance, good on Yamaha, however they should have thrown it at you, not make you beg for it!

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I bought a 2020 Yamaha Wolverine x4 SE 10 days ago and a valve dropped before putting 50 miles on it. It has now been back at the dealer for almost a week. The parts to fix it are on back order til an undetermined time and a replacement motor will not be available til September.
    Of course I’m upset. After reading the comments on this forum and finding out that Yamaha was well aware of the problem prior to selling it and still sold it, it’s infuriating. Yes we are in the middle of a pandemic which is all the more reason Yamaha should have corrected the engine problem that they knew about before selling it to customs knowing they would have engine failure. I’m sure Yamaha is aware of the pandemic. Yamaha sold it obviously knowing they can’t get a replacement motor or parts in a reasonable amount of time, while also knowing of the potential engine failure problem and didn’t correct it. That makes it even worse!
    After speaking with customer service I am less than impressed. They want to put everything back on the dealer. Yamaha seems like they are using fraudulent business practices when selling these, and very poor customer service.
    Just posting so hopefully others see this before buying, and for tracking the number of engines that have had problems.
    Budro2, Paul65, TN_Max and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    558 times
    Welcome to the forum, and wow, so sorry this is your first post. I hope you receive a timely solution.
    TN_Max likes this.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    sorry to hear that lifeisgood. you got caught, just like me. some 11$ an hour methed out highschool dropout in Georgia working on the assembly line apparently found it to hard to actually match up the valve keepers properly. engine goes boom - dealer says "we've never seen it before, Yamaha says - Huh? we have never heard of it. Yamaha is well aware of the issue, and they always try and cheap out on you, rebuilding an engine that has catastrophically failed. Yamaha actually caught a break with Covid here. Had the engine assembly plant in Ga. not shut down, they likely would have had an epidemic of this in their 2021s. The shutdown allowed the problem to show up in the consumer world in small numbers.

It took me almost a month, and numerous calls to Yamaha Customer service - heres a hint - as soon as they start giving you the old run around (usually 2 minutes into the call) - specifically request that you speak with a supervisor - you need to elevate the complaint to the supervisor level. They are the ones who can get things done. customer service is some clown reading off a transcript, with no interest in getting resolution. when you ask to be elevated to a supervisor, they will tell you "he's busy, but will call you back in 24 - 48 hours. Mine called back 3 days later, but he did call back. Right up front i told him I really did not want a repaired engine - i wanted it either replaced, or a new replacement machine, or they could just give me back my money! Your dealer helps here, they are the ones communicating most directly with Yamaha. a good service manager is very helpfull in relaying to Yamaha that the customer is pissed, and has every right to be pissed, and is on the warpath.

If you read this thread you know they magically found a new engine in Canada and did the replacement. i didn't let Yamaha off the hook, told the customer service guy they needed to do more than keep my machine for a month, then say "we are really sorry". eventually He agreed to a 1 year YES warranty and 200 bucks in credit for accessories from Yamaha.
    2020 X2 - R Spec
    Bone stock for now

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    If that happened to me I would be getting my money back from Yamaha and buying a Can Am. Piss poor quality control. Really puts a black eye on Yamaha's name going forward. So flip a coin on the 2021 models not having some issue. Especially a new release model Sad to see and I've always loved Yamaha for quality and reliability.
    Budro2 and DLX2 like this.
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    All I can say is we better not see these mistakes out of Newnan, GA on the 2021 models. Better quality control is obviously needed with Yamaha or have them built in Japan. They wouldn't make those kinds of mistakes. Sounds like the assembly line in GA needs more additional training. lol
    Budro2 likes this.
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    When I picked up my X4 a few weeks ago, I had another chat with the salesman about the dropped valve problem and he shared with me that Yamaha identified one individual on the assembly line that was not installing the keepers properly and was the source of the problem. He also mentioned that that individual was no longer employed by Yamaha.
    2020 X4 XTR
    OEM A-Arm Protectors (painted black)
    EMP side mirrors
    Super ATV half windshield

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links