Sputtering at 22 mph after sitting for a day or so
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Sputtering at 22 mph after sitting for a day or so

This is a discussion on Sputtering at 22 mph after sitting for a day or so within the X2/X4 Engine forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine X2 & X4 847cc SxS category; Hello. I was hoping someone would be able to help with an issue that has popped up in the last 3 weeks with my 2018 ...

Thread: Sputtering at 22 mph after sitting for a day or so

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #

Question Sputtering at 22 mph after sitting for a day or so

Hello. I was hoping someone would be able to help with an issue that has popped up in the last 3 weeks with my 2018 Wolverine X4.

For a recent history, machine was serviced at dealer in late September, and after that had been on a couple long rides without a hitch. Then we had several cold rainy days where it sat in the garage before I was finally able to take it out for a short run. On this first ride in about 5-6 days, it started and ran fine, right up to about 20-23 mph, then began sputtering horribly. If i backed off on the accelerator, it again ran fine and held it about 21 mph. If at anytime i tried to accelerate any further, it again would sputter along. After about a mile we stopped and visited with some friends for a while. When we went to leave, it started up and ran fine the rest of the day.
    Its done this every time I/we went out since, with an exception that two days ago, it did it up all the way up to my 2nd stop sign (about 2 miles away), then after that stop sign it ran fine the rest of the day.
    I've checked the speed limiter switch to verify it was in the correct position, and it was. I use premium gas. It only has 1600 miles on it. Has had 2 dealer scheduled maintenance since bought new.
    Has anyone else had this issue? Not sure if its a cold weather thing, or if i have some sort of sensor going bad. Again, it runs fine and pulls strong right up to about 22 mph, and then its like its cut off.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    I wonder if it’s a faulty speed limiter switch. Maybe you should talk to your dealer and ask if it could be bypassed to eliminate it.
    2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    full windshield
    soft rear window
    3,500 lb. Yamaha Provantage Warn winch
    rear brush guard
    27” Bearclaw HTR’s
    2019 enclosed Legend V-nose deluxe trailer

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 8000 miles and 500 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 22 gram HV weights
    Weller Racing ECU flash
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mine does the sputtering/missing thing if I don't warm it up. I have to make sure the BLUE temperature icon goes off in the dash----after it goes off, the sputtering goes away. I thought something was wrong until I read the "tip" in the owner's manual---my '19 X2 was doing just what it was supposed to do---no problem, just let it warm up before trying for any speed above 10mph.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Doesn’t happen all summer then starts... It’s kind of hidden in the owner’s manual. I kept checking the level in the coolant reservoir! Then finally saw it in the manual about speed limited until warm.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec bought new 8/9/2019
    Yamaha windshield & full soft cab, rock sliders, rear fender flares, rear bumper
    Yamaha Warn Winch on EMP front bumper (looks great - not made for winching!)
    Richochet A-Arm guards
    Front & Rear LED pod lights
    Backup Camera
    Seizmik Windshield Vents
    Seizmik mirrors
    Removed all the warning stickers & badges
    Signs from doityourselflettering.com

Sponsored Links