Adjusting spring lock Nut bound to adjusting nut.
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Adjusting spring lock Nut bound to adjusting nut. within the Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I bought the proper tool for the spring adjusting nut but I find after flushing the shock threads from crud and even lubing with WD40. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Adjusting spring lock Nut bound to adjusting nut.

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times

I bought the proper tool for the spring adjusting nut but I find after flushing the shock threads from crud and even lubing with WD40. They won't separate. The lock nut turns with the one below and/or the entire spring rotates as well together. I initially jacked up for the adjustment but having this problem with the spring spinning. I then dropped the weight back down hoping it with keep the adjusting nut from turning and I would be able to break the locking one free. But neither works on either side. I appears I may need a second tool to hold the lower nut while breaking the locking one free.

I am taking a break right now.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BigHorn 2.0 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I believe you need two wrenches. I was going to try to readjust mine because it’s really a stiff ride. I may just get the Walker Evans and be done with it. My terrain and riding very between desert hard rock riding to mountain trails. These stock shocks on the X4 suck compared to my Rspec I had.

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Thats what I was thinking. Odd after some time reading hear all winter I never came across any mention of it. I order the special wrench even so there is a limited swing area but the lock nut is too tight and won't let go on my machine.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Use a punch or big screwdriver to loosen the top nut away from the bottom nut. There are suppose do jam together to hold their places. They come loose easy when you give them a few taps. And always adjust and measure while jacked up.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-21-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Alpine white

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Use a punch or big screwdriver to loosen the top nut away from the bottom nut. There are suppose do jam together to hold their places. They come loose easy when you give them a few taps. And always adjust and measure while jacked up.
    Hmm I bought the proper tool so I would not risk damaging the shock. The SE setup is extremely expensive and did not want to whack with screw driver and hammer. Murphy could take out the shock if the screwdriver slipped. Don't you know.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Like jumbo said on the lock nut. You won’t damage it. Then use spanner wrench to adjust. It’s a lot easier to adjust it if you undo the top of the shock and swing it out so you have room to move the wrench and not have to adjust and tiny bites at it.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Hmm I'll give it a go tomorrow (beer time now)...I move with caution on these sort of things. Its a new machine and new to me wrestling with various things as I attempt them, still.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Even in the shops they mostly use the punch or screwdriver method, they should only be torqued enough not to come loose anyway. I have a long round tapered punch with a flat nose, works perfect every time, not a scratch or dent. Same principle as shocking a nut or bolt loose, sometimes a good rap can prevent damaging a tool or bolt, and easily loosen things up.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-21-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Budro2 likes this.

Super ATV full flip windshield~Yamaha soft doors & Rear window~KFI 3000# winch & mount~Overhead gun rack~Tablet GPS
    Apeman video cam~Rear bench seat and integrated storage box~Monster Nomad blue tooth speaker~Perfex 2" lift
    Yamaha padding kit~Accessory bar~Overfenders~Sedona Ripsaw R/T 28x10R14 tires on Storm beadlock wheels ~Chupacabra side mirrors~AIS block off~X4 SE red, black, grey seats~X4 SE steering wheel~Traveller LED's

Rocket
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Ok, I was leary using a screwdriver. I do have a nice round ended punch. I'll give it a go and see.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Also clean threads and a little spray lube works wonders.
    Budro2 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links