not so Perfect Perfex lift kit
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on not so Perfect Perfex lift kit within the Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; After installing the 2" Perfex lift I noticed my steering either pulls left or right, the machine does not want to track straight. It is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: not so Perfect Perfex lift kit

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times

After installing the 2" Perfex lift I noticed my steering either pulls left or right, the machine does not want to track straight.

It is most noticeable on pavement or hard surfaces. I think I may remove it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    I didn't have that issue at all. Maybe double check your alignment?

If it had messed up my steering, I would certainly be considering removing it too. That said,the lift has had many favorable reviews. So there is potentially something else at play here.

I know installing the lift, typically shouldn't change your alignment at all, but you are monkeying with suspension etc, so there is potential.
    relhok likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    only about 1000 kms on it, no abuse. It was fine before I put the kit on, check air pressure, all tires equal.

I know on many truck lift kits, you get a long steering arm.
    Last edited by yyz; 05-07-2018 at 09:58 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Cannon Ball
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    563 times
    No steering issues after Perfex lift noted.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. 2016 RSpec Spec Ed
    Gorilla winch, Seizmic mirrors, EMP rear shield, Rugged Radio with intercom, 20" light bar, horn plays Dixie, 2"Perfex lift, Kenda Bearclaws ,Trail Tech temp gauge, Yama rear box and bumper, Throttle Max, tow rope to pull Polaris and Canams. TGM doors and door bags, Power Commander V. TCP "Mudder"radiator,Hunterworks high output fan, Superatv split windshield, extra wide homemade flex fenders.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    I’ve noticed nothing different with mine. Hopefully one of the technical guys will weigh in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 camo
    TGM doors soon
    Yamaha folder
    AMS M1 Evil tires
    Free with purchase winch

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I've had mine for a while now with no issues.
    2016 R Spec Eps Special Edition, Half Windshield, Warn Pro Vantage 3000 ,Yamaha rear grab bar, Yamaha front grab bar, Yamaha cargo box. Garmin Nuvi GPS, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Seizmik center mirror, Battery Tender, Quad Gear Grips, 2 Great Day gun racks, 2" Perfex lift, Concours Dash Panel...

Sparky
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    385 times
    heck I don't have a lift and I am constantly having issues with pulling one way or the other. at this point im wondering if the brakes are releasing completely. i hit the brakes hard a couple days ago in the woods and i didn't have a good grip on the wheel an it yanked the wheel so hard to the rt the buggy slid sideways.
    2016 green R-Spec, oem folding front shield , front and rear lighting, 27x9 & 27x11 Kenda Bearclaw HTR, Warn 4500 Provantage, KFI plow set up, Custom bash plate, Hunterworks PCV and AIS blockoff, Hunterworks exhaust tip (modified with partial stock baffle)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    If the alignment is toe-out too far the steering will fight to each side as it darts back and forth trying to correct. When one side is straight and trying to track, then a rut or slope will shove the other side back in line, etc, etc, etc. Alignment is the place to start, a 1/8" to 3/16" toe-in is what I do, but IIRC the manual calls for more. Needs to be adjusted with wheels on the ground, sometimes a couple sheets of cardboard on a concrete floor under each wheel will help tires move depending on your technique and there are several different ways to align. After string-lining (w/jack stands) one side off frame and adjusting that side front tire, I will get a buddy and use two straight edges on front tires and measure front and back of the front wheel/tire until I have it where I want it. My $.02, please let us know final determination.
    I would like to add that the lift can magnify your frame geometry if it was different. I would encourage you to check the front and rear heights of frame above floor and adjust to get them equal. That is the best handling attitude position for the unit. After height adjustment it may help if it was off. But then I would still encourage an alignment.
    Last edited by jimclemjr; 05-07-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    R2V2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Enjoying my Wolverine
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    When u lift the front end it toes in so u haft to toe back out . The wolvy comes from factory with a lower ride hight in the front and higher ride night in the rear this is called rake wich gives a better handling geometry.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    I believe the Wolv 'rake' is probably OEM setup just a result of maximizing the travel of the shocks and anticipated heavy loads in bed. Which is probably a best initial generic setup for this litigious society. However, I would respectfully submit that when you think of how the center of gravity reacts to a vehicle in motion with dips and bumps and how that affects the change of direction of the mass, then I want to keep it about level and balanced side to side to react to the forces encountered. I could not find that the OEM manual addresses this matter. But I did find in the Fox Shock manual for their upgrade shocks that they say in print, the shocks should be preload adjusted so that "the FRONT should always be 1/2" to 1" higher than the REAR". (that's not exact wording but close-should have cut and pasted it lol). My nephew is an atv racer and has a racing shock business and that is the way he has taught me to setup my machines. Even though we Wolvs typically don't come close to racing stresses, cutting a 20 mph path down a wooded, rutted, bumpy trail makes me want all the advantage I can get. I would encourage all to test different configurations and adjust to what your riding style and load carrying configurations are. (btw- the Fox Manual has some good primer and glossary on what the compression and rebound adjustments can do for anyone interested)
    david.tackman likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links