Axle Recommendations? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Axle Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Axle Recommendations? within the Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; Great info PapaSkeeta, when I'm on the rock in Moab mine pops a lot more than it does on a dirt trail, I always attributed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Axle Recommendations?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    434 times
    Great info PapaSkeeta, when I'm on the rock in Moab mine pops a lot more than it does on a dirt trail, I always attributed it to the rear end.
    Looking at the exploded view it appears they drive the spool/ring gear through a set of clutch plates and I figured the popping was it relieving the bind on the driveline through those clutch plate looking disks????
    PapaSkeeta likes this.
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    570 times
    I haven't ever noticed mine popping, even when turning sharp on concrete, until recently when I got back from the Arkansas ride. Before the Arkansas ride it was not popping.

I first noticed it when I was taking it off the trailer and turning sharp to pull inside. Then I tested it a lot in the yard and couldn't really tell where the slight popping noise was coming from except it sounded like it was coming from the rear somewhere. Had my wife drive it while I walked next to it and it sounded a lot louder walking right beside it. Then I drove it slow and steady while my son-in-law lightly held the rear axles to determine if they were indeed making the popping noise and he said there was no question you could definitely feel it in the right axle when it would pop, just by letting the axle rotate in his hand, left axle felt smooth with no impact type of feeling traveling through the axle shaft when it would pop. That pretty well nailed down my problem before I started disassembling everything, but it still made me question if the axle was really bad, since the boots were good and axle felt good moving/shaking it by hand with the wheel jacked up. New axle stopped all of my popping noise that only occurred when turning to the right, so something in 1 of the CV joints was going bad.

Easy enough to get someone to drive it very slow and steady replicating whatever situations makes yours pop, while you feel the axles when it pops, comparing both sides and you will know for sure if it is an axle or the clutch plates.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 05-23-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Budro2 and noload like this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    I had the popping and never noticed it before. I had my wife drive it slow in a tight circle while I stuck my ear in there. After changing the axle no more popping. It was definitely the outside cv joint. I haven’t taken the old one apart to inspect but I suspect it is a fracture in the cage somewhere around one of the balls.
    noload and PapaSkeeta like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1471 times
    Keep us informed PapaSkeeta, it looks much stronger overall.
    PapaSkeeta likes this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Update on the All Balls 8 ball axle: I’ve got about 700 miles on it now. As I turned left out of my lane onto the asphalt to go check water at the head gate I heard it popping. I listened to it for a couple more weeks driving it around the place. One day I got down behind the buggy, grabbed the axle and I could shift it in and out in the direction from the wheel toward the final and back. I checked my original OEM axle on the other side and everything is tight. I checked the axle nut and it was tight. I decided to take my other OEM axle apart that was popping previously and see if I could tell the reason for it. I completely disassembled the outer joint and cleaned it up with brakeclean. I couldn’t find anything, no cracks or appearance of significant wear. I’d watched a video one time that said not to change the position of things if you disassemble because the joint creates its own specific wear characteristics. I decided as an experiment to do the opposite. I took the innermost piece which has the grooves for the balls and turned it the opposite direction inside the race that holds the balls in place. I also turned it so it was in a different position on the clock within the race and put the balls back, not in the same order they came out. I packed it good and put the boot back on and installed it, and guess what, no popping! We’ll see how long it lasts. After installing it I tried to shift it in and out to see if there was slack and it was tight!
    I’m very disappointed in the All Balls stuff. I’ve had one replacement boot that had a defect and was leaking after a check of things in 10 miles only driving down a gravel road. I had another boot that I noticed also had a thin area that didn’t look right and was clearly not external damage and sure enough it started leaking at 350 miles and now this Heavy Duty 8 ball axle that has a bunch of slack in it and making all kinds of noise at 700 miles. The inner joint that slides just flops in and out while the OEM axle that has never been apart with 4700 miles is still hard to move back and forth like there’s an internal suction still present.
    I don’t know if anything is wrong with it yet or if they just put minimal grease in them but I aim to find out! I can also hold the axle and pull and push on the outer joint and it will move a good 1/8” and it shouldn’t move at all.
    No more All Balls for me!
    jimclemjr, erik and noload like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1” rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Thanks for the feedback, I've had decent success with all balls stuff, (a few CV boots for old quad, and some bearings) but I never thought it was of the highest quality either. I have been very happy with my BRONCO axle replacement on the front, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    I’d watched a video one time that said not to change the position of things if you disassemble because the joint creates its own specific wear characteristics. I decided as an experiment to do the opposite.
    This made me laugh. Good on you for thinking outside the box!
    Budro2 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Veteran
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    All Balls stuff just doesn't hold up. (my experience). I had better luck with stock Polaris bearings, and they suck. . (back when I had Polaris)
    Budro2 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links