Front diff question - lumpy feel when rotating tire
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Front diff question - lumpy feel when rotating tire within the Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; I was doing some maintenance and was checking front end components. Had front end jacked up, checked ball joints, tie rods,etc. Gave the passenger side ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PapaSkeeta

Thread: Front diff question - lumpy feel when rotating tire

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times

I was doing some maintenance and was checking front end components.
    Had front end jacked up, checked ball joints, tie rods,etc. Gave the passenger side tire a spin, and it was as expected. Got onto driver side and when spinning the wheel, something felt "lumpy". I live near the dealer so I drove over and they had a new 2016 left over in the yard. They jacked it up and both wheels spun freely, no lumpy or indexed feeling, so I figured bearings or CV joints.
    Went home and started ripping it apart.....no problem with outer bearings. Took off Upper CV boot and the joint was fine. Then took joint apart and slid the empty splined shaft end back into the diff, and spun it and got the same lumpy feeling.
    Dealer and techs didn't have much to say, besides the fact they hadn't needed to troubleshoot any before. So I went home and buttoned it all up cause I had a weekend tour scheduled.
    No issues on tour, plenty of times in 4wd, a few with diff lock, and almost 95% of the day in low gear cause the going was tough, through lots of high water, mud, snow and ice, and tons of rocks. If you've been in the Barry's Bay area, you'll know what I mean.
    Anyways, washed her down today and tried the rotation test again and it was the same.....lumpy on the drivers side, no worse that I could tell.

So.....is it supposed to be like that? Other brand new machine at shop was not like that. Is yours perhaps? Please let me know if yours is.

Thanks
    Grant
    2016 Wolverine SE EPS
    DFK Cab Enclosure
    Heater and Wiper/Washer
    SSV Works Overhead Radio

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    What your calling lumpy or indexed feeling sounds like your referring to the way the front differential is made. Yes, my driver's side front wheel does not spin as freely as the passenger's side wheel and makes a slight noise in the differential if you listen carefully, this is normal. I have had (2) 700 Yamaha ATVs and they are the same way, one side of the front wheels makes a slight noise and doesn't spin as smoothly as the other side. The new models may be different since Yamaha engineered a lot of sound reducing designs into the new models which included a different type of cut gears. From 2018 Gen. 1 back to 2007 (all ATVs and SxSs) I'm not aware of any changes to the front differentials, as far as I know they all make the noise. Maybe someone else can add something I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 05-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Just went through the same thing myself, thought I had a bad wheel bearing, tore it apart and it was fine. Called the dealer and the mechanic said all normal!

I was told it’s just the way the limited slip differential works!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan
    exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 Blackwater Evos 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    2" Gorilla lift- Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    Just went through the same thing myself, thought I had a bad wheel bearing, tore it apart and it was fine. Called the dealer and the mechanic said all normal!

I was told it’s just the way the limited slip differential works!
    That too is what was 'suggested' to me by the dealer, but it sure didn't sound like a definitive answer.....which is why I put it to the crew here on this forum!

Thanks for the quick replies there fellas, much appreciated.
    2016 Wolverine SE EPS
    DFK Cab Enclosure
    Heater and Wiper/Washer
    SSV Works Overhead Radio

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I have a 2019 X2 Rspec. The other day I added my wheel spacers and I also jacked up the front end and noticed the exact same thing. I thought I had something going out on the drivers side, while the passengers spun freely. But ran great on the trails last week, no problems. I'm kinda glad you guys had they same issue.

Black Magic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    425 times
    they're not free wheeling. I am not sure where the control is doing the engagement and 4x4 lockup on these (at this time). I have driven mine mostly in AWD to break it in and one long stretch in 2WD. A few short Locked Front tne just to be sure its working at slower speeds. No problems.

I do get situation going from backing up to forward as in a 3 point turn the shifter is very hard to pull out of gear and get past neutral to the other direction gear. I am figuring its something loading pressure in the CVT gearing system causing this. Never had this issue on a Kingquad though. I was planning on asking the dealer when they're checking it out.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Sponsored Links