Rear axle installation problems, HELP
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Rear axle installation problems, HELP within the Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; So I just changed a rear axle boot. Constant velocity shaft popped out no problem. Tried to use a soft face mallet to knock it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By danielplace1962

Thread: Rear axle installation problems, HELP

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    282 times

So I just changed a rear axle boot. Constant velocity shaft popped out no problem. Tried to use a soft face mallet to knock it back in. Looked easy enough online. Wouldnít go no way no how. Got the wife to whack on it while I held it straight, still no luck. Got a friend to hit it with a somthing bigger, after a few licks it went in, then I noticed the other side was popped out. I measured the distance of the side now popped out and itís the same distance as the inside from the end of the installed axle to the outside. All I can think is itís air pressure from the axle seals sealing well around the shaft. Itís my first experience with other than a pickup axle, Sorry if it sounds stupid! Noticed bad seals in the knuckles as well. Wheel bearings seem fine. Changing the seals. Any tips on installing them so as not to damage, other than a flat board and a vise etc. I donít have a press but Iíd take it somewhere if necessary! Thanks in advance!!!!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Well that was interesting. I called the dealer and spoke to the service dept. They were stumped as well. I got to thinking that with the vent tube it shouldnít be pressurized enough to push the other side out. I knocked the side back in that was now popped out, and it went the other way again. Iím thinking those 2 shafts are touching inside or only 1/6Ē apart. There must be a little slack where it can go past where it is at rest and one contacts the other shoving it out. There is a fine line between not enough hammer and to much hammer. If youíve never done a rear axle boot before on this machine and you donít need to tear down both sides be careful on the amount of oomph you give it. Good news for me was it led me to discover bad seals in the other knuckle before destroying wheel bearings!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    I pulled my left rear axke once to replace the oil seal on the rear diff. I had a hard tike getting itcout but it went back in ok for me
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Lol yeah that’s what I expected. I read about guys struggling getting them out, not in!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    So I just changed a rear axle boot. Constant velocity shaft popped out no problem. Tried to use a soft face mallet to knock it back in. Looked easy enough online. Wouldnít go no way no how. Got the wife to whack on it while I held it straight, still no luck. Got a friend to hit it with a somthing bigger, after a few licks it went in, then I noticed the other side was popped out. I measured the distance of the side now popped out and itís the same distance as the inside from the end of the installed axle to the outside. All I can think is itís air pressure from the axle seals sealing well around the shaft. Itís my first experience with other than a pickup axle, Sorry if it sounds stupid! Noticed bad seals in the knuckles as well. Wheel bearings seem fine. Changing the seals. Any tips on installing them so as not to damage, other than a flat board and a vise etc. I donít have a press but Iíd take it somewhere if necessary! Thanks in advance!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budro2 View Post
    Well that was interesting. I called the dealer and spoke to the service dept. They were stumped as well. I got to thinking that with the vent tube it shouldnít be pressurized enough to push the other side out. I knocked the side back in that was now popped out, and it went the other way again. Iím thinking those 2 shafts are touching inside or only 1/6Ē apart. There must be a little slack where it can go past where it is at rest and one contacts the other shoving it out. There is a fine line between not enough hammer and to much hammer. If youíve never done a rear axle boot before on this machine and you donít need to tear down both sides be careful on the amount of oomph you give it. Good news for me was it led me to discover bad seals in the other knuckle before destroying wheel bearings!

If it was the rear it may be because it is a spool not a open diff so that tube the splines are sliding in are maybe the same sealed tube straight through. The spline is sealing like a piston and pushing the other out from pressure buildup. The seals and/or vent would have no relation to that occurring. Never been in one to see if that tube is straight through one piece sealed but thinking it may be and why that happened possibly.
    Budro2 likes this.

Sponsored Links