What differential oil to use? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

What differential oil to use?

This is a discussion on What differential oil to use? within the Transmission & Drivetrain forums, part of the Yamaha Wolverine Gen 1 708 cc SxS category; The amsoil differential oil is GL-5...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What differential oil to use?

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    The amsoil differential oil is GL-5

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    I went ahead one ordered some of the Friction Modified 80W-90 Yamalube. Ordering my wheels and tires and accessories got me $50 free at Rocky Mountain so I got my oil and a couple of cans of Yamacoat plastic treatment. Bought a can last week and that thing is shining like a diamond in a goats ass now.
    BigBuck likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Yes, rear was much darker than front. Probably did not need a front oil change, but I don't use 4 wheel drive much at all!
    chief likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Test master, did the oil have a burnt smell to it at all ? Also I've been curious as to the Wet Parking Brake, is it bathed in the same oil as the rear differential? I cant find anything about specs on it in the Service manual or anything in the owners manual.
    '16 Wolverine RSpec EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flach24 View Post
    Test master, did the oil have a burnt smell to it at all ? Also I've been curious as to the Wet Parking Brake, is it bathed in the same oil as the rear differential? I cant find anything about specs on it in the Service manual or anything in the owners manual.
    The oil did not have a burnt smell but that would be very unusual for 200 miles during breaking. I'll take a look and see if I can tell where the break cable enters a housing but your guess is a strong probability. One of the magazine testers noted that one of their Wolverines had a stuck parking brake but I'm pretty sure that is not the cause for the heat in the rear end because the wolverine has a warning light that turns on if you try to drive away with the parking brake left on!

Just came in from looking at the Wolverine parking brake actuation. On the left side front of the differential there is a shaft that protrudes and it has an arm attached with a cable running through it. The arm moved forward when the park brake lever was raised in the cab. So the wet brake looks like it is mounted on the front end of the differential. Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by Test Master; 06-17-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added information promised in this posting.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    i am of the opinion that routine maintenance for the differentials is to avoid the harmful effects that absorption of water and other contaminants bring to the system.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
    i am of the opinion that routine maintenance for the differentials is to avoid the harmful effects that absorption of water and other contaminants bring to the system.
    Can't argue with your logic, it is one of many reasons for regular changes, especially in the rear diff. Which also has contamination added by the parking brake material and heat degradation of the fluid if temperatures are reaching the levels recorded by our forum members! It's cheap insurance cause I'd rather do the maintenance than loose a differential in mid season even though I have the 5 year warranty!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Changed my rear and front diff oil with the Yamaha gear lube. Front looked like new but the rear was cream color'd. Looks like some water found it's way in there.. I've been through a lot of water and mud though. Think I'll check that much more often.
    chief likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    changed mine with yamalube 80-90,both diff oils looked clean

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Just changed my rear diff oil again after another 90ish miles. Pop'd it open and it's creamy again. Appears I must have water getting in there from somewhere. May have a hole in the vent line somewhere down low.. need to check that out. Didn't see anything obvious though.

The rear diff has been submerged a few times but nothing to crazy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links